Do I need to Kill It With Fire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geerhed

Reaction score
I don't know what this is, and frankly it scares me.

Attached are pictures of the tree's trunk bark and seed (to identify the tree and form a comparison to the branches) and branches. Material is either adhered to or erupting from the branches. The condition is on every branch to the top of the tree, but does not appear on the trunk. It is brittle, and has a light wood color inside. It does not have a detectable odor, but tastes rather minty.

Okay, it doesn't taste minty.

Do I have to burn this tree to the ground and sterilize the area with caustics and napalm? I don't want this spreading. Would someone be so kind as to identify what kind of nightmare has seized control of my tree?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• trunk bark.jpg
    trunk bark.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  • seed.jpg
    seed.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 93
  • branches.jpg
    branches.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
  • branch1.jpg
    branch1.jpg
    966.5 KB · Views: 102
  • branch2.jpg
    branch2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
It's a Sweet Gum and is normal. Nothing has seized control of your tree. If you like it, then keep it. If you don't, then remove it.
images
images
images
images
images

Thank you so much. I do like the tree (it has a nice shape and looked otherwise healthy) and am happy it's not sick.

I have a whole slew of trees on the property and have spent little time around deciduous, so I have a lot of research to do. Again, thanks.

Only risk that tree poses is, stepping on those darn balls that drop with bare feet!!!

You have two things going on there. The picture of the trunk shows lichen growing on it. Lichen is a organism formed by a symbiotic relationship between algae and cyanobacteria. It is harmless to your tree.

The corky type bark on the branches is the natural growth form of the tree.

I don't believe it for a minute. Somebody actually saying that they like a sweet gum tree!!! I hate those darn things! Nasty gumballs are a bloody nuisance. Glad I don't have one in my yard, but I have a rental with one. Renters hate it, but it's huge and the only tree in the yard. Daughter had me take out her gumball tree as soon as possible.

I've planted them in islands within a shopping mall parking lot. In the crappiest soil you can imagine. Have survived (until hit by a car) and are growing well providing some shade.

Landscape architects seem to like installing them in new townhouse and apartment complexes. Fun to climb and easy to prune.

I hope its not close to a structure or paving/concrete work..... I have seen them wreak havoc on sidewalks,driveways and streets due to their fast growing surface roots. Once very popular to use as a sidewalk and street side tree... Not so much anymore.
otherwise, its a very cool tree with awesome fall color!

Sweetgums seem to lose branches more than other trees like oaks and maples. Kind of like the persimmons losing branches but the sweetgum is a much bigger tree. Sweetgums are not a beloved tree for me but they are pretty in the fall.

Back