Do I or don't I?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Von, the guy I am clearing the willow patch for, called tonight, asked if I would be interested in taking down a big maple for him. It is near his house and he will put a line on it to his tractor (a big one). "I already talked to Bill's Tree service".

Hmmm? Bid to high to suit him? Hazard tree? I'll take a look at it in the morning but it will have to be a simple and safe takedown. My criteria will be "If it were my house and tree would I do it?" I have already paid Bill's Tree over a $1,000 to take down several around my house over the years that I could have done my self but with some minor risks.

Von, the guy I am clearing the willow patch for, called tonight, asked if I would be interested in taking down a big maple for him. It is near his house and he will put a line on it to his tractor (a big one). "I already talked to Bill's Tree service".

Hmmm? Bid to high to suit him? Hazard tree? I'll take a look at it in the morning but it will have to be a simple and safe takedown. My criteria will be "If it were my house and tree would I do it?" I have already paid Bill's Tree over a $1,000 to take down several around my house over the years that I could have done my self but with some minor risks.
Just get paid enough if its going to be a lot of trouble.

Well, if it can be felled with a tractor pulling it, then you only need to make sure the hinge is facing the right direction. Just don't let him pull too hard until the hinge is ready for it. Don't want a barberchair catapulting you over the house.
That is a good point to consider. If you dont work with the guy all the time then there is no way it will be perfect! I had a guy get in my Dodge Power wagon years ago and had him pull while I cut. He put it in 4wd low and socked the pedal to the metal and ripped a huge Hickory in two it came down right next to me as it speared into the ground!!!!!!!!!!

That is a good point to consider. If you dont work with the guy all the time then there is no way it will be perfect! I had a guy get in my Dodge Power wagon years ago and had him pull while I cut. He put it in 4wd low and socked the pedal to the metal and ripped a huge Hickory in two it came down right next to me as it speared into the ground!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, sometimes you have to give very detailed instructions. I once pulled someone out of the mud. I thought they had gotten inside their truck to steer and brake - they instead went behind it to push. I left them far behind and their truck ran into my trailer. We were both idiots. He was an idiot for what he did, and I was an idiot for thinking that he had a clue, and not checking to make sure.

Good chin fest with Von, eyeballed the tree. easy peasy IF he knows what he is doing. Having been a farmer all his life he seems to be very good on that rather large utility tractor of his. Tree very bushy, it was topped several years ago with the usual result, and only has a slight lean toward the house. I asked about his tackle, he admitted that he examined the cable he had and wasn't satisfied, is going to Spokane this weekfor a new one.

Bottom line. I told him I would call Pat who does a lot of wood cutting and if he doesn't want it, I would do it for him. Not a large maple, about 24" dbh, good distance from the house (but still within reach of it) and a clear driveway area with solid (no loose) grave to pull on. The understanding is any damage is all on him.

I have a large red oak in my front drive. We park cars on both sides of it. Me and that tree have a history going all the way back to 1974. Anyways. lighting has finally done the tree in. I currently have one large limb just hanging in other limbs and another one hanging in the hickory beside it. Widow makers and car crushers for certain. I have a guy coming tomorrow to climb and take the limbs out, aint decided yet if we are going to take the whole tree down or just trim out all the dead branches. A few years ago I would have done it myself, but climbing trees aint no place for a 59yrold with bad knees and shoulders.

I have a large red oak in my front drive. We park cars on both sides of it. Me and that tree have a history going all the way back to 1974. Anyways. lighting has finally done the tree in. I currently have one large limb just hanging in other limbs and another one hanging in the hickory beside it. Widow makers and car crushers for certain. I have a guy coming tomorrow to climb and take the limbs out, aint decided yet if we are going to take the whole tree down or just trim out all the dead branches. A few years ago I would have done it myself, but climbing trees aint no place for a 59yrold with bad knees and shoulders.
Get rid of it and be done.

Get rid of it and be done.
Probably what will happen, but that tree has good memories attached to it. I have nursed it since 1999 trying to keep it alive after being damaged from a choker cable. Anyways, we planted a pin oak from a acorn several years ago in preparation for the day the tree would need to be cut. That pin oak is almost big enough to provide some of the shade we will lose when the big tree comes down.

Edge of house at the right side....hmmm, didn't notice that, that one branch coming off the right side might be fallable without hitting the house, would decrease the weight on that side making the fell even safer.

maple_zps7phczndx.jpg

Taken from the beside the house. The pull will be directly away from the house toward the machine shed in background. Camera sure does distort things, all vertical lines are at true vertical

maple2_zpsk8hykbc3.jpg

I left a message with Von that I had contacted Pat - haven't heard back yet.

I agree with Von that $500 to take that down is a bit over bid. I know the tree service and the owner wouldn't even put a line on that one. My understanding was that the bid was to just fall it and walk away.

$500 to knock it down? Way too much. Maybe pay that if all the wood was hauled away and the stump removed.
Just last week I charged $500 to take down 3 trees and top out another, leaving all the wood right there.

Anyway, that looks like a pretty easy fall. Put a rope up high, cut a good hinge, use some wedges, and there should be no problems.

$500 to knock it down? Way too much. Maybe pay that if all the wood was hauled away and the stump removed.
Just last week I charged $500 to take down 3 trees and top out another, leaving all the wood right there.

Anyway, that looks like a pretty easy fall. Put a rope up high, cut a good hinge, use some wedges, and there should be no problems.

I suspect (it wasn't mentioned) that the bid included grinding stump but Von clearly stated that he would do all the clean-up and knew I, or someont else, would be happy to do the cutting and take the wood.

I haven't heard back from Von or Pat if he is going to do it.

Sorry, no pics, seems I forgot to take the camera.

It is down, brush gone, rounds noodled and hauled away. Me and Mike sstarted about 8 Mon, Von already was hooked up to the cable placed well up, little discussion to be sure Von understood any damage would be on his nickel. I asked him to put a bit of tension on the cable, made undercut - bit of a problem getting the wedge to come out and discoved it is one of the best notch jobs I have ever done, Even edge clear across, level, no dutchmen. That is not my normal level of work :nofunny:. Back cut until I figured it was far enough, wave to Von and relief to see the backcut kerf opening up.:clap:

One brushy motha! Me and Mike were both working with our 192Ts and spent three hours doing almost nothing but cutting water suckers. Von on tractor clearing the brush away.

We went back for a bucking and noodling session this morning. Anotehr 4 hours and we both left with a bit of overloads on our rigs. Mike has to go back to pick up a bit of leftovers that he didn't dare add to his load.

Back