Do you know what tree is going to kill you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westboastfaller

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The last one....
I had to see one of our partners last one on July 4.

You could draw a parallel to a faller an a fighter.
-You are only as good as your last fight
-you are only as good as the last tree you fell.

How is your status rating as a faller based on your last tree you felled?

to be honest? 51/49 my favor, as with any tree and not knowing the heart of it .. you read the tree but do you always understand what you just read with out a second thought? most of the time we are skilled in luck of the profession. experience is a teacher that shares what we have learned only to give us a quick reference for skill. this is the way I choose to look at it as we are always learning. at least I do!

My status rating must be pretty as the tree is still down.
thanks for the cheer up. You were quick witted on that one Del. very funny stuff!

to be honest? 51/49 my favor, as with any tree and not knowing the heart of it .. you read the tree but do you always understand what you just read with out a second thought? most of the time we are skilled in luck of the profession. experience is a teacher that shares what we have learned only to give us a quick reference for skill. this is the way I choose to look at it as we are always learning. at least I do!
great outlook very well said

THANK YOU ! west, but your answer is the top of the honesty scale! 'THE LAST ONE" is the one not to be forgotten by all survivor's. your answer also came to mind as I was reading your post header. we all need to stop an step back once in a while to thank our deceased teachers from their final lesson!

My status today based on my last tree? Not good really. Ran out of gas a long way from my cash as it was mostly flat ground oddly enough. I was running the boundary opening up to make room for two Fallers after I left.
Just then my Bullbucker said it was time for me to go and he was comming in to check my work. Then he asked me about the story of the snags that I was comming up to. I didn't have a story (a plan for them) because I didn't go to them and assess them and mark them with an axe for proof. So I said.. "let's talk about my ribbond saftey trail you walked up to get here.. isn't it nice? Then I said he has to start with a complaint then the $hit in the middle, then end on a positive note. I think I had him smiling then he said. "Let's go..you two have to get the plane.
Then I said ok but I have to go WAY up there and down there and finish Falling a tree!
So he called me on one of the "6 deadly sins" leaving a cut up tree. We are supposed to check gas before hand. Busted! Just about got half way and had to go back for my axe as I remembered it may have needed a wedge (no I wasn't going to try a soft Dutchmen against the lean either!) Tree went ever so nicely and I packed out.

My status today based on my last tree? Not good really. Ran out of gas a long way from my cash as it was mostly flat ground oddly enough. I was running the boundary opening up to make room for two Fallers after I left.
Just then my Bullbucker said it was time for me to go and he was comming in to check my work. Then he asked me about the story of the snags that I was comming up to. I didn't have a story (a plan for them) because I didn't go to them and assess them and mark them with an axe for proof. So I said.. "let's talk about my ribbond saftey trail you walked up to get here.. isn't it nice? Then I said he has to start with a complaint then the $hit in the middle, then end on a positive note. I think I had him smiling then he said. "Let's go..you two have to get the plane.
Then I said ok but I have to go WAY up there and down there and finish Falling a tree!
So he called me on one of the "6 deadly sins" leaving a cut up tree. We are supposed to check gas before hand. Busted! Just about got half way and had to go back for my axe as I remembered it may have needed a wedge (no I wasn't going to try a soft Dutchmen against the lean either!) Tree went ever so nicely and I packed out.
? why no DutchWOMAN, lol i hear there vary soft when young and single.....

? why no DutchWOMAN, lol i hear there vary soft when young and single.....
."The big bosomed lady with the dutch accent
Who tried to change my point of view
Her ad-lib lines were well rehearsed
But my heart cried out for you"

NO..NO..CUT...CUT...not you chucher..I like woman!.. honestly I do ..no really guys...GUYS!

The ones where the core is rotten, and you don't know where the solid wood is, those get "interesting".

Pretty sure the center of this one was mostly carpenter ants and dirt.

View attachment 513759
looks like heart rot disease? Nothing you can do with those other than pick the lean and clear out for it if safe to do so.
Dust in the wind

Yep, I'm not worried about the tree I'm cutting. It's usually what you don't see coming.
IMG_20160627_082223449.jpg

My Bullbucker cutting an 8ft spruce snag on my quarter.
He asked me on the radio the day before nearing the end of the day if I was going to get it done. I said I would do it in the morning when I was fresh and he said that's what he would do.
He was cutting next to me and he was comming over to go over the bucking card the next morning. I was dropping my rakers and he started cutting with my spare.
As soon as I finish he just reached out for me to pass him the better saw..lol. I new that was comming. Just made my day that much easier.

Snapped a few pics and a little vid he can show his grandson.
In the big snags more so the Cedar its usually the one your Falling because the tree comes down in slabs. You can't cut the middle out often because of all the splits so huge slabs peel out of every direction. Pieces start to drop or hang off higher up. The back starts separating from the heart and moving out of the cut. Sometimes you pound wedges in to try hold the weight from toppling over the middle that isn't all cut because you can't get anymore from any side without getting pinched
When the back starts to go then get out of there. You have to keep making undercuts taking the slabs one at a time. Always conventional on these unstable ones because you don't want a slab to slide down and fall back at you. They are lots of fun

View attachment 514287

My Bullbucker cutting an 8ft spruce snag on my quarter.
He asked me on the radio the day before nearing the end of the day if I was going to get it done. I said I would do it in the morning when I was fresh and he said that's what he would do.
He was cutting next to me and he was comming over to go over the bucking card the next morning. I was dropping my rakers and he started cutting with my spare.
As soon as I finish he just reached out for me to pass him the better saw..lol. I new that was comming. Just made my day that much easier.

Snapped a few pics and a little vid he can show his grandson.
In the big snags more so the Cedar its usually the one your Falling because the tree comes down in slabs. You can't cut the middle out often because of all the splits so huge slabs peel out of every direction. Pieces start to drop or hang off higher up. The back starts separating from the heart and moving out of the cut. Sometimes pound wedges in to try hold the weight from toppling over the midle that isn't all cut because you can't.
When the back start then get out of there. you have to keep making undercuts taking the slabs one at a time. Always conventional on these unstable ones because you don't want a slab to slide down and fall back at you. They are lots of fun
So that's why I see those guys cutting the same wood over again. No they dont look like fun. An unpredictable pain in the ass. Can't you guys blow some of those up? I mean theres no value in them when they slab out like that right? Or is that not practical?

if where going off the last tree I cut, 42" on the butt hemlock probably a peeler in the first log no knots fore the first 30' but iron in the bottom 3' a solid 36' and finished off with a 27' out of the top. Probably the best Hemlock i've cut in 2 years mostly only get 2 logs out of em and full of limbs.

Parallel with a house, did smash up a good fir saw log on the way down, but it didn't whack a stump and destroy everything. Tipped er off a steep ass ridge that is also the only way up for the Missus... that butt log nearly rolled the old girl down the hill... up on one wheel and the blade for a moment or 2

Latest posts

Back