Do you know what tree is going to kill you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isn't that a fact! I know guys broke in and never cut a green tree for a year. Just learned how to get good at the ugly ones.

That's some brutal old-school initiation. I bet it makes a fine faller of the graduate, and sends plenty packing.

View attachment 514287

My Bullbucker cutting an 8ft spruce snag on my quarter.
He asked me on the radio the day before nearing the end of the day if I was going to get it done. I said I would do it in the morning when I was fresh and he said that's what he would do.
He was cutting next to me and he was comming over to go over the bucking card the next morning. I was dropping my rakers and he started cutting with my spare.
As soon as I finish he just reached out for me to pass him the better saw..lol. I new that was comming. Just made my day that much easier.

Snapped a few pics and a little vid he can show his grandson.
In the big snags more so the Cedar its usually the one your Falling because the tree comes down in slabs. You can't cut the middle out often because of all the splits so huge slabs peel out of every direction. Pieces start to drop or hang off higher up. The back starts separating from the heart and moving out of the cut. Sometimes you pound wedges in to try hold the weight from toppling over the middle that isn't all cut because you can't get anymore from any side without getting pinched
When the back starts to go then get out of there. You have to keep making undercuts taking the slabs one at a time. Always conventional on these unstable ones because you don't want a slab to slide down and fall back at you. They are lots of fun

I get really nervous cutting down my 12 in trees. I can't imagine cutting on something that big. Respect.

Big old dead pine snag full of ants that was miserable for me and could have been a close call. Got pretty scared cutting it, I always swear the next one like that I'll use a trackhoe or some sort of explosive.

I really hope my last tree is something spectacular, gets a billion hits on youtube, and years later at my funeral they play the footage as an example of how good I was and how I kept on working into old age. Odds are against that though.

Big old dead pine snag full of ants that was miserable for me and could have been a close call. Got pretty scared cutting it, I always swear the next one like that I'll use a trackhoe or some sort of explosive.

I really hope my last tree is something spectacular, gets a billion hits on youtube, and years later at my funeral they play the footage as an example of how good I was and how I kept on working into old age. Odds are against that though.
Sounds like a cool idea but I don't think I want myself getting the bug on the windshield treatment recorded, I'm following the going down in a blaze of glory idea you've got and had an image of America's funniest home videos type thing in my head but I've been to far to many fatal car wrecks for traffic control that I don't wanna see somebody get kilt on video. It's not sounding like I'm thinking it out in my head and I mean nothing derogatory toward your post Hddnis just a thought in general that ran astray lol

I know what you mean, I can't watch those "fail" videos on youtube. Been there, seen the real fails, watched as the FD hosed them off the pavement before I told the state or county road crews to re-open the road.

Sometimes the images haunt my dreams, I have to commit the victims to God Almighty and move on with life. Seen too many cops and FF's that were emotionally ruined after a career dealing with it, they got to where no one wanted to be around them, you have to let it go.

This thread has to turned my thoughts macabre.

I think that is sometimes why we take risks, it is striving to master what could kill us. All of society benefits from that learning and growing. If someone pushes too far we call them crazy, say they should have seen it coming, but most times they didn't want to die, they really thought they had a chance. If they make it then yet another danger has been conquered and as a species our mastery of nature grows.

Like jumping from 25k with oxygen but no parachute.

View attachment 514287

My Bullbucker cutting an 8ft spruce snag on my quarter.
He asked me on the radio the day before nearing the end of the day if I was going to get it done. I said I would do it in the morning when I was fresh and he said that's what he would do.
He was cutting next to me and he was comming over to go over the bucking card the next morning. I was dropping my rakers and he started cutting with my spare.
As soon as I finish he just reached out for me to pass him the better saw..lol. I new that was comming. Just made my day that much easier.

Snapped a few pics and a little vid he can show his grandson.
In the big snags more so the Cedar its usually the one your Falling because the tree comes down in slabs. You can't cut the middle out often because of all the splits so huge slabs peel out of every direction. Pieces start to drop or hang off higher up. The back starts separating from the heart and moving out of the cut. Sometimes you pound wedges in to try hold the weight from toppling over the middle that isn't all cut because you can't get anymore from any side without getting pinched
When the back starts to go then get out of there. You have to keep making undercuts taking the slabs one at a time. Always conventional on these unstable ones because you don't want a slab to slide down and fall back at you. They are lots of fun

definitely a cut up and run situation lol you shouldn't be scaring bitzer with those west coast pics Jamie.

definitely a cut up and run situation lol you shouldn't be scaring bitzer with those west coast pics Jamie.
Hard to be scared of something you've never seen. I haven't walked up to a situation in the woods scared. Wary yes. I'd like to see some pics from you occasionally just so i know your not full of ****.

Hard to be scared of something you've never seen. I haven't walked up to a situation in the woods scared. Wary yes. I'd like to see some pics from you occasionally just so i know your not full of ****.

i don't carry my phone in the woods as it's a pain in the ass to worry about it. i'll get one one day just for you though bitzer. ;) a 8' at the base standing tower of mush is pretty scary even for the best guys though. that one must have had some solid in it as i don't know anyone mad enough to get under something like that without being certain it's gonna hold together.

Was sharing horror stories with my crew today and remembered the "no-face" cut. Does anybody remember where to find a video of this? I already looked through Logger Wade's YouTube; it appears that he has deleted the one I was looking for.

No face is permissible if your saw is faster than the tree can fall and the tree is committed, but generally used on small wood. Stump jumping is often times more safer and productive, but once again, you need a fast saw and a sharp chain and the right body English.

crippled a little guy today...

one of our kamikaze chipmunks, not sure if he was living in the top of tree or what, ole rotten snag...

Had the wife with me, since I had to climb a couple today... she wasn't real happy about it, poor little bugger was kicking and screaming.

These are the chipmunks that will see a car coming down the road, get centered with ya and wait for you to pass over them... or just chill on the white/yellow lines as cars go whizzing by.

Declined to cut a tree on a fire yesterday, with a fairly solid contingency plan in case I had to cut it anyway. It burned out and fell over a few hours later. Gonna wonder some whether my plan woulda worked or not, but I won't lose sleep over passing it up. Yet another time where I am happy to have machinery to call for once stuff hits the ground.

this afternoon, there are a couple of dead snags leaning over a major road, that I was fortunate enough to be called to "help" with... not real thrilled about this one...
Northmanoffewwords yesterday. Ok I guess we will write our own ending....

Ow! Come on man! we can't stand the suspense!

oh... sorry...

rotten assed hemlocks took 4 down thursday and the wind picked up... hit it again monday evening.

convinced the guy in charge not to mess with the two next to the road. if it goes its going to take out the main lines and cross the road, condition of the others was less then optimal i.e. a few slivers of solid wood but mostly punk, so climbing the leaner isn't really an option...

Back