do you own woods or scrounge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likely not. There's an Audubon Center in Sharon CT IIRC, that you might be thinking of- haven't been there myself. Millerton is a bit west of there. The one I work at is in the NW corner of Greenwich CT, with a separate property maybe 1/2-mile S of that. Large total area, that suffered at the hands of Sandy. Lots of tall timber on ridgelines got put down around here.
Sharon, yup that was it

I'm about 50/50

Get half from my 13 acre woodlot. Mostly EAB ash unfortunately but awesome firewood.

Other half from farmers wanting fence rows cleared of dead EAB ash and some others.

In the same time I can usually get 2 truckloads of fencerow wood vs. one in my woods, BUT I get to use more toys in my woods so it's nice to mix it up.

I do a little of both, have some buddy's in the tree trimming serv. some who work for d.o.t., I pickup some wood from both, but mostly, I buy a comm. firewood premit, got lucky this year, scored a 200 acre tract,, lot's of top's, down tree's, fairly level,, well for our area anyway,, look's like it might cut out 100 cord's plus, hope anyway, the season is upon us,, go away winter, have cabin fever an I feel the need to let the wood chip's fly,, plus I need to work on my tan,, come here little camper's, got some nice firewood bundles for you,, opp's sorry, I really need to get out..looong winter.. see ya in the woods u2bwolfb4

Own a good bit of woodland but only cut dead and down wood.May start taking out some poor quality trees but I don't cut live trees in hopes of timber potential for myself or the ones who follow me.I've been able to cut some dead wood on neighbors who don't burn wood and have access to scrap wood from a local treatment plant at some times-I'm blessed

My hats off to scroungers for their dedication to hard work.

We cut off our own wood lot...and have discovered a lot of labor saving shortcuts; but knowing what I know now I'd segue to a pellet stove if I had to scrounge.

If you put any value on your time, do the math then you'd be looking to buy pellets in bulk.

We've been cutting on a forested lot next door we own for the past few years. But that's about done. I don't want to completely clear it. Have 3 years in reserve stacked.

I'd scrounge if we had a vehicle to haul it. And if I had the time. But we have neither so we're gonna be buying loads of logs from here on.

I have 32 acres of woods in upstate Ny, I still scrounge. Right now the power company has cleared lines around here and I am getting a lot of pine people dont want. My wood boiler loves pine and the snow is to deep to get in the woods.

I have 32 acres of woods in upstate Ny, I still scrounge. Right now the power company has cleared lines around here and I am getting a lot of pine people dont want. My wood boiler loves pine and the snow is to deep to get in the woods.
I've seen people cutting on the county's brush piles around here lately, its usually good wood, ash, oak, walnunt, hedge, or all cottonwood, I'd be in on it but I've got more ash, oak, walnut, and locust than I know what to do with and can cut at my convenience vs worrying if their gonna burn it before I get back there

Back