Do you sell firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's some guys here that sell wood me for one i sell 100 cords a year @200 pr cord dumped i have 80 cords cut for this year cut now will have about 130 by sept look at and threads we all post pics tom

I sell wood I promise my guys 8 hours a day during the warm months so if we finish up early on a job they split wood for the rest of the day, it works out for me because I usually figure on them being on the job for 8 hours. And wood up here is selling at 300 per cord, but I have to make peices 12-14" because of all the small fireplace inserts that are so popular in the Boston area.

Want Wood?

Original Poster Ponderosa: I am in your area and will be happy to bring you all kinds of wood if you ever got your wood lot started, :) ....

I see your not full time me and my buddy in the other part of the state he beat me last year by $13.000.00 we run in close to a $100.000.00 a year so don't say there is no money in firewood.
We make what you do sometimes in a day. You get full time and treat your customer good you can make ore than a comfortable living. Later

We do pretty well in Northern California too...

Hi Folks
I am new to your forum. I sell firewood about 250 cords a year. A buddy owns a tree service. When the customer does not want the wood he calls me. I go to his site. If his guys are still there they help me load up. I take it back to my yard in blocks to split later. There are some species I won't take.Mostly Cottonwood poplar and willow. I get more red cedar and pine than i really want but that's the she goes
His tree service sells firewood. I process and deliver it to his customers and I get my share. I get maybe 75 cords a year from him and deliver about 50 for him. This is all in Greater Vancouver BC

i sell wood,i get 300 a cord in upstate NY.all the wood I sell i get is from tree jobs so its just more profit,the only problem i have selling wood is when you get a winter like we had this year you dont sell squat.I only do it because its extra gravy.

Info

I just give away my wood now but it's always green. I'm thinking of selling my firewood. Does anyone else do this? I have a splitter already but not the space to age the wood. Just wondering if it's lucrative enough to be worth my time. This would be in the California Bay Area where the whether is only cold enough for about 6 months. I can't imagine there being much of a market for wood especially during the summer months.

I live in southern Illinois I tried selling bulk firewood it was to much work and not enough profit for the damage to equipment so I went to selling bundled or wrapped which ever you call it in your area. My work is a fourth as much and my profit is about 7 times more. I stay busy year round but my customers don't burn for heat they burn for looks. My area those factory wrapped sticks are $9.99 a piece it takes about 4 to build a fire my bundles are $5.00 and it has 8 pieces in it. I can split and wrap 10 bundles a hour. I buy my wood in 16 inch chunks for about $40.00 a load delivered. By buying it by the chunks I get a rank and a half that way I can split it to suit my customers and not me. So many guys try to sell firewood the way they want it split. Every body is different. Try selling wrapped firewood I sell as much in 90 degrees weather as I do in zero weather. There is money in firewood but if your the fellow that does it for beer money or cash flow or because no body needs there grass cut. It is just a fly by night deal. Later

I sell a limited amount, but I wouldn't if I hadn't already been paid to haul the wood away. Around here "lucrative" and "firewood" are never heard in the same sentence. California may be far more profitable.

Canyon, why would you want to pay cash to rent space? Find someone in your area who has a couple acres unused, and who burns wood.

You supply their wood, they supply you the space to keep/process it. Rent for cash, or 4-6 cords of wood per year?

Exactly what I do in the winter and it works out great, usually sell maybe 30. A little extra spending cash and I don't mind a little firewood processing, put's some hair on yer chest. :msp_smile:

That is the same view that I had when I first started working in the tree industry years ago and have always found enough money in it to keep me going. A lot of the time I would only do it when I didn't have any tree jobs to keep my guys busy for a day or two here and there or if they wanted to make a little extra money on the side. Since then it has grown to a huge business for me and now we are in production year round.

Here in Texas most people burn green wood if it's cut during the winter but other than that my firewood stacks don't take up much room since I run them against fences so they are out of the way.
what is the name of your business? is there any chance you would be interested in buying cedar or pinion firewood or fireplace firewood?

I sell firewood but I don't sell all wood I get. I try to only save oak, ash, and really healthy knotless wood. If you don't have room to store it idk, but maybe just save up any oak or other primo firewood you get to sell.

Back