Does a Stihl 064 have enough ummph for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokediver351

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I own a Stihl 064, and a friend has offered to buy a Granberg mill in exchange for some tree work I'm doing for him. The wood is about 36" diameter, at most, yellow pine. I want to mill big timbers (6x6 or above), so the cutting will be minimal. I was going to cut the trees for the sake of friendship, but my buddy doesn't want to do that. It seems like a good deal for both parties, but I'm unsure if my saw will handle the load. Any feedback?

I own a Stihl 064, and a friend has offered to buy a Granberg mill in exchange for some tree work I'm doing for him. The wood is about 36" diameter, at most, yellow pine. I want to mill big timbers (6x6 or above), so the cutting will be minimal. I was going to cut the trees for the sake of friendship, but my buddy doesn't want to do that. It seems like a good deal for both parties, but I'm unsure if my saw will handle the load. Any feedback?
I have milled with an 046 and a 461 up to 24 wide ,with a sharp chain it did fine ,if go slow and let the chain feed itself ,should be fine ,only a few cuts will be wide to get your cants ,after that will be way less load on the saw ,may go 32 to 1 on the oil mix ,and make sure is adjusted a little rich for the increased load to keep the saw cooler ,a muffler mod will help also keeping the saw cool ,or at least a dual port front cover ,when you say 36 diameter ,you mean strait across right where need a 41 inch bar to make it through ? or measuring circumference ?

It should work O.K. I use a 066 and thats only a bit bigger.

Once you square up the logs into cants you won't need the full 36", you might get by with a 28" and that will take less power and oil better. A picco/Lo pro setup will use even less power and smaller kerf. Would need to have some picco rims made up or get a spur from logosol, will also need a bar with correct sprocket tip.

Back