Does anyone square-file for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilarch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering?

I only cut firewood, and on a small scale compared to most of you guys.

I guess what I'm really asking is if anyone thinks it worth it (I know most won't) and how much longer, if any, it takes to square file in the field.

*I know that to properly or should I say perfectly square-file in the field is a daunting task. But I've heard on here that even a poorly file square chain will outcut a round filed chain.

For cutting firewood, i seriously doubt that you would gain anytime by square filing. it takes a good bit longer for most folks to square file, although there were a few of those old loggers back home in the PNW that would set me straight on that one.

for cutting timber, you will gain from it for the simple fact that you are generally making fewer cuts in a day, cutting wood that is vertical and not full of mud and grit, and nothing unusual for a timber cutter to go until lunch time without having to swipe the chain.

Cutting firewood is just the opposite.Lots of cuts in a short amount of time, good chance of dirt and grit in the wood.

With round filing, I can swipe the chain with two stokes after every other fill up, and I dare say I would more than out do someone square filing.

I use mostly square in the field cutting firewood, but I bring an extra loop with me and sharpen at home with a Silvey grinder.

Once you use square, it's hard to go back to round...

cut loads of firewood with square ... after awhile you get used to how fast it cuts and round feels like something is wrong.

if one is careful with cutting only to bark, then turning log over. square stays sharp almost long as round. when it does go dull, simply change out to a fresh ground square chain.

I'll carry a dozen of so of spare chains in round and square.

My father and I cut firewood for years of about 30 cords a year. He had 2 saws, his 038 with Square Chisel and a his 272 with chipper chain, It seemed to me that the Square grind was faster, but required more filing.

I use mostly square for fire wood, but it gets cut where it falls, works well 20% faster is 20% less work, 20% less fuel, 20% less wear on the saw, if you cut wood that has been skidded then square would not hold up well though.

I picked up a knack for square filing inside out on the bar (backwards and wrong), but after a few filings the chains need to vist the grinder or filing vice to get evened up.

Hmmm....looks like a hung jury so far.

My stuff may lay there for a week or two before the saw sees it again. But even if I don't intend on moving it just then it gets bucked asap to get it drying faster. No skidding.

For cutting firewood, i seriously doubt that you would gain anytime by square filing. it takes a good bit longer for most folks to square file, although there were a few of those old loggers back home in the PNW that would set me straight on that one.

for cutting timber, you will gain from it for the simple fact that you are generally making fewer cuts in a day, cutting wood that is vertical and not full of mud and grit, and nothing unusual for a timber cutter to go until lunch time without having to swipe the chain.

Cutting firewood is just the opposite.Lots of cuts in a short amount of time, good chance of dirt and grit in the wood.

With round filing, I can swipe the chain with two stokes after every other fill up, and I dare say I would more than out do someone square filing.

I agree. For bucking up firewood stick with round chisel unless you know someone with a square grinder.

I Round File...

actually grind sharpen with this little baby:
G1012XT.png

Yep, $75 may seem expensive, but after you've used it 10 times on the same chain, it seems rather cheap. And, it operates even on the truck's battery in the woods. All the teeth get sharpened the same amount and at the correct angle.

Thank you, Granberg.

i was just wondering how square chain dose on hard woods? yes i have done some searching but have had little luck.

how many people use square chain on hard woods?:chainsaw:

i was just wondering how square chain dose on hard woods? yes i have done some searching but have had little luck.

how many people use square chain on hard woods?:chainsaw:

Works just fine. It dulls just as easy as any other chain in the mud....

once you figure out square, you'll have a hard time going back to round unless you are cutting mud.

My local shop just ordered in a roll of square simply because I asked about it. Awesome Husky dealer huh!? I'll be picking some up in a few weeks!!!

Really?

The only loop I have tried is semi-skip, and it cut smoothly, but slowly.
I re-sharpened it round, and gained speed. The only thing that makes sense is that it must be dull right off the roll. It looked good tho....

Maybe I need to try a "really sharp" loop someday. Then I will know better.

Until then I will "ground round" and make hamburger... (pun intended)

It's a different tooth shape chain, no gullet like round ground. Square corner.

I was under the assumption that any full chisel chain could be ground round or square. Semi chisel chain should only be ground round.

To answer the OP I have never used square grind for firewood. For what I cut, square would seem to 'fragile'. I spend enough time now sharpening chains with 3 of us cutting, I don't know if I would get any saw time keeping the chains sharp on the boys' saws. They just recently graduated to chisel cutters and it seems as if I am starting all over again with them, at times.

Latest posts

Back