Does milling really void the warranty?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Can someone please point me to anything in the warranty or user manuals that explicitly states the warranty will be void if milling? Say, for a 661 or 395? Or is the voiding implied because milling is interpreted as operator misuse/abuse?

Has anyone had this tested in the real world - had a warranty claim either rejected because the dealer knew the saw was used for milling, or approved despite the dealer knowing the saw was used for milling?

This post has come about because I was under the impression milling voided the warranty, but it does not appear to be the case at all, unless I am mistaken, which wouldn't be the first time.

The Aussie warranty says nothing about milling but it does say the saw should not be used with unapproved attachments or for purposes for which the saw was not intended.
I spoke to several Aussie Stihl dealers about this when I bought my never used 880 and lightly used 441 and they were pretty firm about adhering to this.
I was asking them if the warranty was transferrable (it wasn't) and also asked then about warranty when a saw was used for milling
One did say it would depend on the individual case, and how much they trusted the customer.
None of them could recall ever having to address a warranty claim on a milling saw.

I haven't tested it yet as the saw is great, but I just bought a nearly new demo 880 from my local Stihl dealer and he knows what I do with my saws. He told me I still have the full new warranty if I ever need it. The saw looked like it had been run for maybe half an hour. I guess people don't run a 880 for long as a test

I haven't tested it yet as the saw is great, but I just bought a nearly new demo 880 from my local Stihl dealer and he knows what I do with my saws. He told me I still have the full new warranty if I ever need it. The saw looked like it had been run for maybe half an hour. I guess people don't run a 880 for long as a test
Only people wanting workout with out gym fees (-; They show up at "Family Center" where the 880 has a 59" bar RS skip chain and heft it around a bit, walk about store come back lifting saw around & head out the door.

When I bought my 880 the Stihl dealer in Indiana said he had only ever sold one other and that was to a fellow who was going to run an Alaskan mill. I mentioned that was my intention as well. We also talked about warranty and how using Stihl oil in the mix would extend it to 2 years. He never said milling would void the warranty.

Back