Does this look like 7 cord (log length) to you? Or did I get gypped?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for your opinions, I value them. I think I will end up cutting it all up and stacking it in an individual cords. I'll know then! The way i'm looking at it is I paid $80/cord, $112 delieverd. If I had bought it cut and split I'd of been $300/cord. Still making out in the end. But still like getting what I paid for. I'll find out soon, haha.

I didn't see the truck that dropped it. I was trying to picture 14' x 8' x 8'. Just cant do it. It looks like a lot more in person, pictures don't do it a lot of justice.
Well if it looks like more in person then it could be more then 5 . I guess we will find out when you split it.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I value them. I think I will end up cutting it all up and stacking it in an individual cords. I'll know then! The way i'm looking at it is I paid $80/cord, $112 delieverd. If I had bought it cut and split I'd of been $300/cord. Still making out in the end. But still like getting what I paid for. I'll find out soon, haha.
Hold them to their word is all.

Around these parts we pay per ton on a grapple triaxle delivered. Which is usually around 20 ton of green oak. They love to sell free water. That's how they get around the cord number. I think we are at 40.00 a ton, give or take. It is usually based off of the pulpwood price.

They put 3 down, and stacked on top of them. The fronts fell down.

Next time ask them to put 3 or 4 logs down and stack the remaining logs opposite. Makes it nicer to cut the pile up. Chains hate dirt and the logs stay drier. Plus you aren't bent over 1.5 more ft.

No.
Edit - that said, around here anyway, if it's oak or sugar maple or some other great hardwood, $800 isn't all that bad for delivered.

Bought log length this year for the first time. Wanted to make my life a little easier for the next couple years. Took me a little bit to find someone to deliver up to me ( live on the side of a mountain ) but I finally found someone that would truck it to me.

Today I got my delivery and looking at it, I'm having a hard time picturing this being 7 cord. But to be fair I have never seen what 7 cord looks like in log length so maybe it's just me. Paid $785 delivered. What do you experts think? For reference I am 6'3"

.View attachment 513370 View attachment 513371 View attachment 513372 View attachment 513373
I'm with others. aint no way that's 7 cord...

Boy fire wood guy sure have odd ways of doing cords. From as far back in my old timey one room school house we were taught a cord of wood was 4 foot long stack 4 foot high and 8 feet deep. Since it was a one room school house you learned that measurement every school year and it stuck. Also since many of the family members cut pulp wood and saw logs and got paid by the cord you remembered that measurement. So in the end you should have 7 stacks at the 4'x4'x8 measurements and cut into fire wood sized roughly 3 times that 7 piles which is 21 stacks 4'x4'x about 16" thru 20 inches.

I think it is really close my self.

:D Al

That isn't tree length. "Tree length" is 40-50ft long logs.

If that pile was tree length it'd be in the ball park of 7 cords. With the long just being ~12ft, I'd guess you have about 4 cords.

I would guess your a little short prob a bit more than 5 I would guess but as every one says its tough to tell. I cut and split a piece of ash today that was bout 22 inches a the but and 10 at the small end bout 20 ft long almost got it all in the back of my Toyota Tacoma bed w out much of a pile above the bed.....good luck again 128cu/ft is a cord no matter how you choose to measure it....length X width X height....good luck

sap can

Just eyeballing the pile it looks like somewhere around 5-6 cord, IMO. Close but no cigar, but $800 delivered isn't all that bad for quality hardwood even if it's a bit short on volume.

I think measuring wood content in 'cords' is a bit all over the place. Many members swear its a useful way to measure wood and maybe its cause I have no direct experience with the measurement. We measure wood content in kg/tonne (1000kg). It just eliminates confusion & is easily measured. Having had my rant on cords, the only thing I can add is that pics are a horrible way to estimate wood content, I bet many would change their view having stood at the OP's pile and looked at it.

I think measuring wood content in 'cords' is a bit all over the place. Many members swear its a useful way to measure wood and maybe its cause I have no direct experience with the measurement. We measure wood content in kg/tonne (1000kg). It just eliminates confusion & is easily measured. Having had my rant on cords, the only thing I can add is that pics are a horrible way to estimate wood content, I bet many would change their view having stood at the OP's pile and looked at it.
Makes sense to me. It will look different if you are there yes.

no diff then buying a car/truck what ever by looking at a picture, there's no justice like being there to see in person.

Back