Does this need splitting again?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im splitting white oak.. About 14-16 inches in diameter.. I end up with 4 pieces about 6-8 inches wide and tall.. I'm not concerned about having small wood so I can cram my heater full.. Just wondering if these will be fully dried by next winter.. Or do I need to runnem through again?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 275
General consensus is that the smaller you split, the quicker wood dries. However, where and how you stack can have a bigger factor - if there is sun and wind blowing across the end grain of the wood, you will get more drying than if the wood is in a closed-off IBC tote, like I see in your background. Just food for thought.

How long to you plan on leaving in stack to dry? Just 1 year then yes needs split again. I leave some of my splits that big but they set in the stacks for at least 2 years typically 3.

Want to share the secrets of your tote score?????:laugh::laugh:
I got a buddy who used to be in the scrap business.. I bought 20 from him and he still has about 40 left.. $10 each.. Located in middle Tn, 75 miles south of Nashville..

I tried one without the liner.. It's fine, no pieces fell out..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
I use IBC totes too. I pulled the liner out. and the pieces stay in just fine. and I cut out a portion of the front for easy access to the wood. never had a problem. except not having enough totes :)

You gotta let all wood season for 12 years or more or you'll be the damnation of all wood burners. If you don't have wood stocked up for the next 5+ years well then you shouldn't even be burning or you'll ruin it all for the rest of us.. I would say split it at least 3 more times and then microwave it just to be sure!!!!

Ya I'm just being a smartass but jeez... Your talkin about 6" by 6" blocks... Those will dry in the open air within 2 months... In your totes toothpicks won't dry. Kick in the common sense brain cells..

Yepper, pull plastic liner on the totes, I have a few loaded from the fall, a couple that are empty now. I would say that is an all nighter and would not split again. It is nice to have some big chunks for over night. Throw em on top of the pile and they will be fine.

Oh, I burned the first few plastic liners in/on top/around my burn barrel, didn't work too well, weird huh......but my buddy asked if I had a couple left and he wants em to keep chics in, he got a LARGE hobby farm, for a guy living in town. Sooooo, easier to unload them to him than try burning. So, throw em up on CL and get rid of if need be

Latest posts

Back