Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the saw back today. It was packed in the same box I sent it in, bar still had cardboard taped to the ends just like I sent it. There was no signs of wood chips anywhere on the saw . If they cut with it they used their own bar and chain and meticulously cleaned the saw afterwards.I fueled it up and put bar oil in started the saw it seemed ok . I cut a few cookies and the high , erratic idle returned. It was actually worse than when I sent it. I shut it down went to the woods and got a 5 foot oak log about 8" across and went to the local dealer that tuned it last time. I told him I wanted them to see what was going on.One of the guys running the shop said I should call Makita and demand a new saw since they obviously can't fix it. I started the saw and the mechanic listened to it and started tinkering with the carb (no tach) it quit and he fussed with it a couple minutes trying to get it started. Once started I put it in some wood and the saw idled to high after the cut he fiddled with it a little more and it was still idling fast then slow erratic. I questioned the high idle and he said the chain was too loose. He tightened the chain way tighter than I ever have and said run it. I brought the saw home about an hour had passed I went to test some more and couldn't get the saw started would only fire while the choke was on flip it to run position and it would fire and quit instantly . The saw has always started in 3_4 pulls, 1_2 on choke till it fired and one or two in the run position. I finally got it running and made some cuts it's still not right. It idles very erratic I have video . It will be idling properly then speed up while sitting . Im at a loss here . This really is B.S!!!!

I told the local dealer I could see what was going on. They keep telling me it's fixed till there's a lean seize then too bad for me. I can see the writing on the wall!!

Wow. This is unreal. I thought dolmar would have been better then that. I would be calling ther and tearing someone a new @$$ till they send a new saw and make this rite.
Very disapointing for a big saw company. This would almost be enough for me to sell off the other dolmar ya just picked up and switch brands if i was in your shoes.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

It really pisses me off the mechanic said the chain was too loose causing the idle issues . This ain't my first saw ,I've been running it with no issues for 14 months and now it's because the chain is too loose . I'm about out of patients I'm gonna have to walk away from this before I come unglued!!!

Wow. This is unreal. I thought dolmar would have been better then that. I would be calling ther and tearing someone a new @$$ till they send a new saw and make this rite.
Very disapointing for a big saw company. This would almost be enough for me to sell off the other dolmar ya just picked up and switch brands if i was in your shoes.

Don't think that hasn't entered my mind! Those people at customer service won't talk to me if I get mean with them they'll just hang up and leave me stewing over it and I don't want to let them get the best of me!

Don't think that hasn't entered my mind! Those people at customer service won't talk to me if I get mean with them they'll just hang up and leave me stewing over it and I don't want to let them get the best of me!
Id be calling them hourly. Id be the biggest pain in the rear.

I had to do that once for insurance on the van. After driving a smashed up van for two weeks and nothing happening i called hourly and after a few hours they got fed up real fast and got the ball rolling. I was in the loaner vehicle by the end of the day.

I do kinda regret buying the new saw . I like the 5105,so far anyway, I liked the 421 too until it started acting up ,but it really grates on me to think I gave them more of my money and then get **** on like this.

I told the local dealer I could see what was going on. They keep telling me it's fixed till there's a lean seize then too bad for me. I can see the writing on the wall!!

I felt the same way about husqvarna 545 so every time they said "try that" a bought another can of Husqvarna premixed fuel. Finally killed it cutting 6or 8 cookies non stop on 20" log. DEALER gave me new saw IMG_0005.JPG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I felt the same way about husqvarna 545 so every time they said "try that" a bought another can of Husqvarna premixed fuel. Finally killed it cutting 6or 8 cookies non stop on 20" log. DEALER gave me new saw View attachment 575529.

Are you still running the 545? Or did you dump the Husky after the bad experience? I was thinking of replacing the 421 with a Jonsered 2252 same as the 545. What was the issue with h your saw ? Do you like the performance?

I emailed him yesterday and described the issues. I just emailed the dealer and told him I thought he should step up and take charge of the situation. I told him I thought it was his job as a dealer to support his customers and I think he should replace the saw and deal with Makita himself as they are reluctant to even speak with me. We'll see how that goes.
Thanks for the advice Sugarbush! I will refrain from running the saw .

Update :. I got an Email from the dealer this evening said he was on the phone all day with Makita. He said "it sounds like they may replace the saw" , " however they want my saw to be shipped to Georgia" Dealer said he is sending me another shipping label & a return authorization to enclose with the saw. He says they want to make it right with me. He closed with " if this happens they will send a new unit dire you to me". So that's the latest. Frankly I'm really tired of this whole fiasco!!!!

Are you still running the 545? Or did you dump the Husky after the bad experience? I was thinking of replacing the 421 with a Jonsered 2252 same as the 545. What was the issue with h your saw ? Do you like the performance?

545 was a gift to my Uncle, new saw runs good but he doesn't use it a lot. I bought the 550xpg last fall ,sometimes it has hanging high idle for a second but nothing scary. The original 545 had bog,stalling issues and seemed computer was always setting itself.Suspected air leak but was careful to mention that to dealer with no real diagnoses till the melt down . These saws handle and cut fantastic but my original 576xpg auto tune gave me no running issues. Would seriously look at Stihl 261cm now it's not the fat kid any more lol [emoji3]

Latest posts

Back