Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He said they did.but he said they did the first time it was in the shop in February and detected no leak then on April 3 he said he did find an air leak. I really have no way of knowing what they really did.

sounds like it may finally get resolved like it should considering the run around you'v gotten. good to hear that.

Woodbutcher where about in Ohio are you? I'm in the Cincinnati area.

How about the tank vent has that been checked?

Sometimes these things are more simple than one would ever ever believe. The 421 can be tricky to tune if you don't know what you're doing, and it sure sounds like a lot of that going on. Any dealer worth anything would have fixed the saw or replaced the saw in a timely manner.

With that said the vast majority of dealers are useless these days, and lack even the most basic skills, such as tuning a carb.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Woodbutcher where about in Ohio are you? I'm in the Cincinnati area.

How about the tank vent has that been checked?

Sometimes these things are more simple than one would ever ever believe. The 421 can be tricky to tune if you don't know what you're doing, and it sure sounds like a lot of that going on. Any dealer worth anything would have fixed the saw or replaced the saw in a timely manner.

With that said the vast majority of dealers are useless these days, and lack even the most basic skills, such as tuning a carb.

I live in Northern Ohio

I just got off the phone with the dealer. I asked him exactly what Makita had told him. He said" they are working on it" I asked what that meant? I asked if they specifically said they were replacing the saw, he said " they are contemplating replacement but it's not a done deal . I asked what difference is between the Chicago repair center and Georgia . He said I don't know . I asked why he wouldn't just replace the saw and deal with Makita. He said I just do what they tell me. I sent the shipping labels today you should have them today or tomorrow. I told him I thought it was a sad state of affairs the way this is playing out.
So again I am SKEPTICAL!!!!

Bad luck you're having with that 421. Don't give up on that model it's one of the best saws I've had my hands on and that list is long.

I agree the 421 is a great little firewood saw and all around little work horse . It is a shame you are having such a bad time. I hope it gets sorted soon and you can have as good of an experience as so many of us have had.

I really like the saw when it's working right. talked my buddy in to buying one. I did a ton of research before buying .Reading about it on this site pretty much sold me on the saw. I'm kind of an info junkie I do a lot research before I buy anything, It usually pays off! Just bad luck this time. Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully this gets resolved soon!

When I bought this saw I talked quite a bit with the dealer. Asked some good questions and got some good answers. I went there to check out the 421 and told him what I intended to do with it . He assured me it was up to the task. I also checked out the 5105 as I was worried about the 421 not having the power I was looking for . He said you take this saw and use it and if you're not satisfied bring it back, but I can tell you you won't be back! He was right that little saw surpassed my expectations!! I was pretty quick to brag it up to other brand loyal guys who were unfamiliar with the Dolmar brand.We had kind of a gtg when my buddies folks had some logging done and we were cleaning up the tops for firewood. The little saw really got noticed quick in the wood and sooo easy to start. I'm kinda eating crow now! Hopefully I can redeem myself with the 5105 it's pretty darned impressive too!!

Check the older thread. Titled 'What to replace my Dolmar 421' posted by gearjunkie' Nov.21 ,2015
I'm not the only one who has had this problem!!

I received today a document from my dealer outlining the procedures he performed on my saw.
Says he did a "hot" leakdown test, could someone please explain to me what that is ? Also no mention of a leak test after the crank seal replacement.

Back