Dolmar 5105 Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I went and bought my first new Dolmar. I was so impressed with that 5100 that I did a few weeks ago for @computeruser that I thought I'd try my hand at the 5105.

1-L.jpg

2-L.jpg

Here she is on her 1st tank of fuel, sporting a 18" 3/8 bar and running the factory tune. Initial RPM checked showed 12,800. However, she was just barely hitting the rev limiter at 13,500 after a few cuts. The tune was spot on. It would 4-stroke with very light load and clean up immediately. Throttle response and idle were perfect. The chain that came with the saw has the curved over raker gauges. It certainly is not an aggressive chain. It will be coming off and be replaced with a proper chisel chain.

These saws have a cat muffler, so that was the first order of business. Why is Dolmar so cruel to us, putting cats and crazy cages inside mufflers that must be uncrimped and pried apart?!!! This alone makes these saws sooo much more work to mod.

3-L.jpg

4-L.jpg

Here's the back half after uncramping it and splitting the halves.
5-L.jpg

The cat!
6-L.jpg

7-L.jpg

9-L.jpg

Here's the same piece with the spot welds ground out and the cat removed.
11-L.jpg

15-L.jpg

16-L.jpg

This heavy flange is sandwiched in place.
12-L.jpg

13-L.jpg

14-L.jpg

Back on the saw with the heat shield over it.
17-L.jpg

The deflector needed work as well. Dolmar even spot welded the spark arrestor screen in place. I failed to get a pic of that before removal. I've opened up the deflector quite a lot.
18-L.jpg

I'm not sure if or how I'll go about getting more area. I might just leave it like this. It sounds plenty open and throaty as is.
19-L.jpg

20-L.jpg

You can see the wide mesh stainless screen I added.
21-L.jpg

What's interesting is that the cat is already bypssed from the factory. There is another port right next to the cat that feeds into the spiraling output tube. I'm not sure you'll gain all that much beyond opening the output as the combined area of the cat and the bypass was pretty large.

What's interesting is that the cat is already bypssed from the factory. There is another port right next to the cat that feeds into the spiraling output tube. I'm not sure you'll gain all that much beyond opening the output as the combined area of the cat and the bypass was pretty large.
Yes, it does have a bypass. However, it's certainly not what you would call a good flowing muffler. Modding this muffler was good for a 20% gain. That's huge.

Better than that, replacing the crap chain was good for an additional 26%, making the saw 41% faster than stock.

46% gain and no cylinder porting....has this build thread ended with chain replacement and a muffler modd? :(Dolmar is struggling to deal with the U.S emission regs selling old tech. How long they can do this I don't know, maybe they are waiting for strato patents to expire. But its not to bad for someone who is happy to de-epa them. Our government is talking about adopting emission regs to match the U.S........I dearly hope they do not!

I never feared a bad tune of my Dolmar PS-6400 until this site made me weary about it.

My PS-6400 has been bought new in 2006. and I joined AS in 2014. , the saw never missed a beat, 4-stroked w/o load and cleaned up under load.
Once I bought a tach and checked the tune she was just shy of the rev limiter - spot on factory tune after 8 years of work.

Brad stating that the factory tune on his Dolmar PS-5105 was spot on too is reassuring that Dolmar knows how to tune the saws they send out of their factory.

I purchased my Dolmar PS-6400 in a tool & electronic store, it did not get any check up before I happily walked out the door with her! :cool:

I agree with Brad, that factory chain on his PS-5105 might be "safe" and "smooth", but it is cutting too slow.
Even stock the PS-5105 sounds like she could handle significantly more load.

I am eager to see this builds progress. :popcorn2:

After reading this , I might have to open the muffler on my new 5105 again. I did a muffler mod just days before this thread got started. I cut out the cat and opened everything up a little, but not as much as the pics show here. This being only my second MM, I was perhaps a little too careful with how much I removed in there, knowing that it needs some resistance to work well.

Yes, it does have a bypass. However, it's certainly not what you would call a good flowing muffler. Modding this muffler was good for a 20% gain. That's huge.

Better than that, replacing the crap chain was good for an additional 26%, making the saw 41% faster than stock.
It would be interesting to see one done with the cat removed but leaving the baffle and the output tube in place, plus some opening of the output & screen as you did.

Back