DOLMAR 6100 OR 7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a 7910 and I'd recommend you get the 6100, I put a 20" on my 7910 and it didn't even flinch to being buried in balsam poplar, it might've dropped 100-200 rpm when I put it in 18" Elm. I have a 28" on it now and that's what it's for 28-32" in 25"+ wood.

True , my PS-7900 just scoffs at the 20" bar she wears - but she is huge fun and the sound is amazing (with a small muffler mod).
Dogging her down cutting fresh beech tree trunks up to 20" in diameter my PS-7900 held no less then 10,5k in the cut , pure awesomeness.

NOTE: The PS-7900 is the predecessor to the PS-7910 without a CAT muffler and a coil limited to a slightly higher rpm!

Tested out a 6100 and really liked it, but have been wanting to step up a class or two. This will be strictly a firewood saw and wear a 18 or 20 inch bar most of the time. May have the need for a 24-28 inch bar but pretty rare. This being said is it worth the extra $ for a 79cc firewood saw?

I don't have a PS-6100 , but her specs and reputation indicate she'd be a good pick for You considering Your needs.

For the fun factor I'd keep a eye out for a used but not abused PS-7900/7901/7910 , that is how I got mine! :)

If $$ is a big issue and you want better air filtration and fuel efficiency go with the 6100. But the 7910 is a whole different animal. I loved my friends 044, until I got a 7900. Our 6100 also lost some of its luster after running the 7900 but I still love both. Also, I prefer the oiler adjustment and master control switch better on the 6100. The 6100 is definitely underrated and would do everything you need and then some. As long as you come home with a Dolmar you'll be happy:chainsaw:
The price difference

Thats why we originally went with the 6100. Price was the biggest factor. The 7900 was used, abused and left for dead which was how I was able to acquire it.

The price difference is a consideration, but not as big as choosing the saw that helps my productivity. I appreciate all the feed back!!

The price difference is a consideration, but not as big as choosing the saw that helps my productivity. I appreciate all the feed back!!

What other saws do you already have? And what size wood are you going to be cutting? If everything is under 20" except an occasional 28" log then 6100 is the way to go. If everything is larger than 20" then it might be time to consider the 7910. I cut a little bit of everything including some logs that are pushing 40". i really appreciate the 7900 on those and cant imagine working them up with anything smaller but for the vast majority of my cutting i only use the 421 and 6100. That is a great combo. Think about this....you can buy a 351 AND a 6100 for the same/less money as a 7910.

351 is identical to a 421 except less power. it is less desirable because of that but the cost and build quality still make it a good value. If you stay with 3/8lp or .325NK the 351 will still pull a 16" bar pretty good.

351 is good^^^

however it'd be really simple if we knew what your cutting, but it'd also be simple for you too then, however sometimes we don't know what we'll be cutting. When I started cutting if someone told me I'd be falling a 140'+ spruce tree or cutting a 6.5' diameter poplar in my area, I'd have laughed because those tree's don't exist here... until you find out they do. however those aside I know tree's around here mature are 50' hard wood and 70' soft woods, 24" diameter at 6' hard wood and 28" at 6' soft. I usually don't cut mature wood either, unless dead which is less then 5% of the time. If your cutting hard wood 90%+ that's 17.5" or less and soft wood 21" or less. Get the 6100, My profile pic is my 353 with a 20", it handled that poplar just fine. Would've been better with a 6100, even better with a ms880.

Is the 6400, 7310, or husq 372 out of the option's? (I hate stihl lol I hated every day for 7 months I ran POS 362's, I brought my own 353 in to work so I had more power)
Sounds like the 7910 is more saw then you need though.

351 is good^^^

however it'd be really simple if we knew what your cutting, but it'd also be simple for you too then, however sometimes we don't know what we'll be cutting. When I started cutting if someone told me I'd be falling a 140'+ spruce tree or cutting a 6.5' diameter poplar in my area, I'd have laughed because those tree's don't exist here... until you find out they do. however those aside I know tree's around here mature are 50' hard wood and 70' soft woods, 24" diameter at 6' hard wood and 28" at 6' soft. I usually don't cut mature wood either, unless dead which is less then 5% of the time. If your cutting hard wood 90%+ that's 17.5" or less and soft wood 21" or less. Get the 6100, My profile pic is my 353 with a 20", it handled that poplar just fine. Would've been better with a 6100, even better with a ms880.

Is the 6400, 7310, or husq 372 out of the option's? (I hate stihl lol I hated every day for 7 months I ran POS 362's, I brought my own 353 in to work so I had more power)
Sounds like the 7910 is more saw then you need though.

I think you just described my wood lots to a T. I counted 27 White Ash the other night all around 18 - 20 inches DBH in a 50 x 5o yard area, all hit by the EAB. More on the next 40 acres over. Lots of wind damaged Maple and Cherry to come down too. Considering FordF150's 2 saw plan (421 & 6100). Thanks to everyone for the input.

I think you just described my wood lots to a T. I counted 27 White Ash the other night all around 18 - 20 inches DBH in a 50 x 5o yard area, all hit by the EAB. More on the next 40 acres over. Lots of wind damaged Maple and Cherry to come down too. Considering FordF150's 2 saw plan (421 & 6100). Thanks to everyone for the input.
That is a VERY wise thing to do! I have a similar combo with the 420 (original model with 2.7hp instead of 3hp on the new 421 model) and I already had a 60cc saw so no reason to get something new.

Personaly I see the 40&60cc combo as the ideal homeowner firewooder team!

True ....

NOTE: The PS-7900 is the predecessor to the PS-7910 without a CAT muffler and a coil limited to a slightly higher rpm!
The 7910 does NOT have a CAT muffler! It and the 7310 have the slr system. You can check out randy's/"mastermind"s thread on how it works.

I think you will be using the 6100 more then the 421 for tree's of that size, I'd rather you buy the 6100 first and see if you want a second saw. If you do run a 2 saw combo I'd get a 6400 for a little more power.

I think you will be using the 6100 more then the 421 for tree's of that size, I'd rather you buy the 6100 first and see if you want a second saw. If you do run a 2 saw combo I'd get a 6400 for a little more power.
I would NOT get the 6400! Same size&weight as the rest of the line up => 6410, 7310, 7910. All the same body just different piston & cylinder. So what for would I want to carry extra weight?

Further, I always wonder, but what do americans do with the rest of the tree when they are finished with cutting up the trunk? Over here, everything until 2-3 inches is cut up and harvested and brought back home to burn. And for everthing smaller than 10 inches I seriously doubt one would really see any cutting speed advantage between a 421, 6100 or 7910. But to be honest I don't want to be carrying the extra weight.

have to agree with 7 sleeper. The little bit of power won't off set the extra weight. JMO.

I was under the impression and correct me if I'm wrong there's only 1 dolmar dealer in my city of over a million. That 6400 used a large mount for bars and 6100 used a small mount. I'd rather have a large mount for 20" tree's, plus the 421 is such a strong little saw, I find them too close together for a 2 saw combo. If I am wrong please correct me.

ash trees that size i would probably still be using my little 421.

421 & 6400 would be a good combo too....with the intention of upgrading the 6400 to a 7910 later on. again that combo could be had for just a hair more than a 7910 by itself.

I wouldnt totally discount the 6400 either. It is like the 351. doesnt get the respect/attention it deserves. 6400 is a very strong saw that pulls a 24" bar in hardwoods with the best of them. I sell quite a few of those to guys that have intentions of running them as a 6400 for a few years then upgrading them with the 7910 cylinder. None have come back to upgrade. Once they use them as is they dont see the point in spending the money.

either missed it or you didnt say. what other saws are we working with that you already have? that may change one or all of our recommendations. How many saws do you want?

i always like to have 2 with me when i go to the woods for instances when one breaks, gets stuck, cutting up main trunk with a bigger saw and doing the limbing with the small saw.

I was under the impression and correct me if I'm wrong there's only 1 dolmar dealer in my city of over a million. That 6400 used a large mount for bars and 6100 used a small mount. I'd rather have a large mount for 20" tree's, plus the 421 is such a strong little saw, I find them too close together for a 2 saw combo. If I am wrong please correct me.

yes 6400, 7310, 7900 are large mount. 510, 5105, 6100 are small mount.

421 is a strong saw that could easily replace allot of 50cc saws but it doesnt come close to a 6100. i am not a 50cc saw advocate. for a one saw plan they are great but if your going to have a couple saws a 50cc is hard to justify simply because of how strong the 421 is.

I peaked at fordf150 's website, I'd give him a call if you are near by, his prices are wow! compared to Canada price's. I loved every dolmar I've run but that's not many. He'll have more information then me. Run alot of husq and stihl where I am, echo and dolmar are often mistaken as chinese knock off.

The 7910 does NOT have a CAT muffler! It and the 7310 have the slr system. You can check out randy's/"mastermind"s thread on how it works.

CAT or SLR , the result is the same - a plug up that nice saws a$$ choking her down. :p

I just wrote CAT as it came to mind rather then SLR! ;)

...I always wonder, but what do americans do with the rest of the tree when they are finished with cutting up the trunk? Over here, everything until 2-3 inches is cut up and harvested and brought back home to burn. And for everthing smaller than 10 inches I seriously doubt one would really see any cutting speed advantage between a 421, 6100 or 7910. But to be honest I don't want to be carrying the extra weight.

DSC00107.JPG

That , and by now a little more , all done with my PS-6400 & 20" bar! :D
Thinnest stuff is about 1".

I peaked at fordf150 's website, I'd give him a call if you are near by, his prices are wow! compared to Canada price's. I loved every dolmar I've run but that's not many. He'll have more information then me. Run alot of husq and stihl where I am, echo and dolmar are often mistaken as chinese knock off.
website prices on the saws are not my prices....they are what i am allowed to advertise.

yes 6400, 7310, 7900 are large mount. 510, 5105, 6100 are small mount.

421 is a strong saw that could easily replace allot of 50cc saws but it doesnt come close to a 6100. i am not a 50cc saw advocate. for a one saw plan they are great but if your going to have a couple saws a 50cc is hard to justify simply because of how strong the 421 is.
Further I see it as difficult to add a smaller saw to a 50cc line up. The 421 is built like a pro saw at a VERY affordable price. You could probably get 1.5-2 for the price of the major players for their saws in this class!
I just don't like the sub 40cc class a lot. I see it as a waste of money. Why? Because everything the 30-35cc saw can do a 40cc saw can do better. Further the 40 cc saw let's you at the same time invade classic 50cc territory, as was mentioned by f150 above. That is simply impossible to do with a 30-35cc saw.

Of course my above comments exclude special saws like tophandles.

What is the advantage of large mount over small mount on a 20inch bar?

Further I have a 15 inch bar on my Dolmar 420 and have no problems whatsoever with 20 inch trees. I just cut from both sides. Although personally I prefer my 62cc saw for that wood.

my 20" small mount bar seems very light duty, my 18" seems fine. Both are husq laminate. The 20" feels too flexy while a 20" large mount feels like I could use it as a prybar. So if your cutting firewood on a brace off the ground small mount is fine, however I fall the tree's and buck them on the ground where they fall, even light compression and tension in the wood is alot for that small bar.

Latest posts

Back