dolmar 7310 or 372xp husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewoolsey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
dolmar $25 more for 1 cc more , I have a dolmar 7900 , I had to have a new block put in with not many hours on it, compared to my 440 stihl use the same fuel in all my saws , so pulling more to the 372xp, what's your vote ? thanks

dolmar $25 more for 1 cc more , I have a dolmar 7900 , I had to have a new block put in with not many hours on it, compared to my 440 stihl use the same fuel in all my saws , so pulling more to the 372xp, what's your vote ? thanks

If you had to "have a new block put in" a low hour saw, aren't you a little sour on that brand? And isn't that experience worth more than what we say?

If you had to "have a new block put in" a low hour saw, aren't you a little sour on that brand? And isn't that experience worth more than what we say?
What a stupid thing to say...

First off any brand mentioned are high quality products, so I would FIRST find out why your low hour saw died! You ruled out fuel so it seems more to me that something else is going on (f.e. incorrect carb settings, etc.).

What a stupid thing to say...

First off any brand mentioned are high quality products, so I would FIRST find out why your low hour saw died! You ruled out fuel so it seems more to me that something else is going on (f.e. incorrect carb settings, etc.).

Right. So if they are all high quality...and you've had very bad luck with one, why on earth would you buy another when there are other high quality alternatives?

You value the opinion of anonymous people on some website more than your own experience?

That's not a bad play when you have no experience, but otherwise I think your opinion of what or who is stupid is worth the price we pay to read it.

Right. So if they are all high quality...and you've had very bad luck with one, why on earth would you buy another when there are other high quality alternatives?

You value the opinion of anonymous people on some website more than your own experience?

That's not a bad play when you have no experience, but otherwise I think your opinion of what or who is stupid is worth the price we pay to read it.
Well obviously you are focusing the whole recomendation situation on my comment and you feeling insulted. That is to bad because this will NOT help @ewoolsey one second! I believe it is far more important to find out WHY the saw died and if it has been corrected so that it will NOT happen again.

But back to your insulted reaction, so if you buy apples and one is rotten, do you never buy apples again?!? I mean come on stay serious and don't make a fool out of yourself. If you would go by that logic there is not a single brand who doesn't have a tarnished record with one product or the other.

And the reasons there are websites like this is to collect information from other users to get a generel overview over a brand/product. If everyone would only be running around in his little universe we would only experience a very narrow view of the world.

Well obviously you are focusing the whole recomendation situation

Bingo.

The OP didn't ask for advice on how to run or maintain saws, he asked what saw to get and mentioned he is leaning toward a 372.

I told him to go with his instinct and try something new...he wants to anyway and all the positive advice in the world won't change the fact that his Dolmar failed him. He's asking about a 7310, not a 7910 so clearly he doesn't want a repeat purchase.

You pulled out the saw doctor 101 advice, assuming the OP isn't capable of running a saw right or tuning a carburetor.

You might be right, but you are offering advice that no one is asking for. That that makes you an annoying know-it-all.

I say 372xp...it's a close sibling to the best saw ever (372xp non-xtorq) and it has slightly more power than a 7310.

Go ahead an explain why he should get a 7310 if you disagree with me...that's what this thread is for.

Reading comprehension, give it a try.

How about service/dealer availability for your area regarding dolmar vs husky? Generally husky is a bit more common, so this may influence you.

Also, isn't the 7310 essentially the same body/build as the 7910, just with a smaller piston (and less power)? So if you like the feel of the 7900, you'd be holding nearly the same saw, just less strong.

But as its been mentioned, the 372 is pretty "legendary"

(and please guys, don"t bite my head off if you feel my post is inaccurate...)

On the topic saws I would recomend, if he wants a 372 size saw, the 372 xpw top end if you can find one. It has 75cc so it will be even stronger! And yes the 7310 is the smaller version of the 7910, so I would not consider it without major savings.

Sorry if I sounded like a know-it-all.

FWIW, I have the older model, the 7300 and it's been a fine saw. Lots of power, all of 0.4hp less than its big 79cc brother which according to my chainsaw shop guy is a good thing, less of a hotrod equals longer lasting as far as he's concerned. All I can say is that I liked it enough to buy another one.

Around these parts most PNW loggers use Stihl or Husky not Dolmar if that tells you anything. I had the same choice a couple of years ago and kept my 372 and never miss the 7900. 372 oils much better and has a metal oil pump drive vs plastic for the Dolmar.

Its pretty hard to knock Dolmar quality, I do feel that the Husky saws are better performers and edge out all other brands when it comes to power/weight ratio. The 372/2171 pre xtorq are a great 70cc saw and always will be. The X-torq are also great and nothing to shy away from if wanting to go new. I feel the 372/2171 are the best balanced 70cc saw out there.

The 372 is lighter but much less strong when stock vs stock compared with the 7900. I would say the 7900 compares more closely with a 460 Stihl for power and weight. My choice was made by looking at which saw was more widely used by the professionals around here. Very rarely do you see a 7900. In fact, I have only seen one that a tree company had a couple of years ago. I think the loggers tried them and found bottom ends did not hold up to everyday falling usage, however I may be incorrect on this. For the average firewood guy, a 7900 would likely last a lifetime.

The 372 is lighter but much less strong when stock vs stock compared with the 7900. I would say the 7900 compares more closely with a 460 Stihl for power and weight. My choice was made by looking at which saw was more widely used by the professionals around here. Very rarely do you see a 7900. In fact, I have only seen one that a tree company had a couple of years ago. I think the loggers tried them and found bottom ends did not hold up to everyday falling usage, however I may be incorrect on this. For the average firewood guy, a 7900 would likely last a lifetime.

My logger has been running my old 7900 for about four years now. I had to replace spring mounts, no big deal and piston. He scored the piston on this and his 562 on the same morning, too much ethanol. Both saws are still running.
Some loggers said the bottom ends would go bad in a 7900 but not on this one. I think the root cause of bottom end failure is ineffective air filtration. The dust eats the bearings.

So Sawfun have you owned both? Whats your impressions 372 vs 7900.

Ya didn't ask me but I will answer.
Both saws not ported, 7900 has more power but a 372 handles and balances better. Ported saws I don't know.
Now a 576 and a 7900 are about equal in power and the 576 balances long bars better.

How about service/dealer availability for your area regarding dolmar vs husky? Generally husky is a bit more common, so this may influence you.

Also, isn't the 7310 essentially the same body/build as the 7910, just with a smaller piston (and less power)? So if you like the feel of the 7900, you'd be holding nearly the same saw, just less strong.

But as its been mentioned, the 372 is pretty "legendary"

(and please guys, don"t bite my head off if you feel my post is inaccurate...)

Well, it actually is a bit inaccurate, as the legendery status really is about the older non X-torq 372xp, not the current X-torq version..;)

Ya didn't ask me but I will answer.
Both saws not ported, 7900 has more power but a 372 handles and balances better. Ported saws I don't know.
Now a 576 and a 7900 are about equal in power and the 576 balances long bars better.

7910, yes - but the 7900 no doubt is stronger.

Back