Dolmar Makita oil pump upgrade/modification.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jar944

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Since I'm waiting on some parts for my 6401 I figured I would try to eliminate some potential oiling issues.

I'm not sure if this saw was leaking From the lines, as the pump drive was burnt up when I got it. However since it was apart I figured try to make a better connection by adding a barb.

I also wanted to have the potential to have a higher oil flow to the bar (and get a longer life out of the flow adjuster.) I still have to machine the spur gear for more lateral movement (steeper angle) but the adjusting screw is done.

The rest of the saw parts I'm waiting on should be here in a few days, hopefully I'll be able to see some improvement then.

Since I'm waiting on some parts for my 6401 I figured I would try to eliminate some potential oiling issues.

I'm not sure if this saw was leaking From the lines, as the pump drive was burnt up when I got it. However since it was apart I figured try to make a better connection by adding a barb.

I also wanted to have the potential to have a higher oil flow to the bar (and get a longer life out of the flow adjuster.) I still have to machine the spur gear for more lateral movement (steeper angle) but the adjusting screw is done.

The rest of the saw parts I'm waiting on should be here in a few days, hopefully I'll be able to see some improvement then.
Are you selling kits? ;):)

Let us know if you get more oil.

My only complaint with Dolmar is how stingy they are on oil

Will do, I'll have a oiling update as soon as I get the pump drive.

man I wish I had a clue what to do with a mill..... :dizzy:

nice work.

Thanks. Lathes and mills are nice to have. I think every garage should have at least one.

Using a four jaw too!

Nice work!

The main section was done in a 3 jaw, The eccentric pin and flow "groove" were done in the 4.

Are you selling kits? ;):)

lol I hadn't planned on it. I'm not even sure its all going to work how I want yet.

Darn Republicans always wantin to "sell" sumptin....can we just adopt a more inclusive attitude and
"notify' jar944 that his efforts are better suited to the "middle class union workers" and tax the he!! out of it ???? :eek:

:laugh:

I machined the pump gear 10 degrees steeper to 30 degrees Total (20 stock) for a bit larger displacement per rotation. Its not much but it should make a difference when everything comes together.

That's a solution I have been pondering. Let me know how well it works. I wouldn't think you would have to have a mill. I can't see how having a less than perfect angle would matter. I guess I have enough 346 pumps I could sacrifice one for the sake of knowledge.

Could ya at least use a crappy camera or something ???? :bowdown:

Hoping this works out. The saw can pull a lot of tooth but the oiler....eh not so much.

Lol all the pics are from my phone.

That's a solution I have been pondering. Let me know how well it works. I wouldn't think you would have to have a mill. I can't see how having a less than perfect angle would matter. I guess I have enough 346 pumps I could sacrifice one for the sake of knowledge.

I contemplated doing it on my bench grinder and it would work fine, but wanted to be able to exactly reproduce the angle if it works, or modify if it doesn't.

I wouldn't mind having the adjuster part. I could modify my own gear.

Back