Dolmar PS-401 Mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A simple muffler mod will go a long ways to making it a good runner. The one I had was tuned so poorly from the factory that it was virtually unusable. The L was so lean, even against the stop, that it wouldn't rev up.

get a better chain, keep it sharp & do maintenance

Use it for a limbing saw and get a larger one if you need to modify &
cut bigger wood.

I don't have your experience, but this one seems similar. I bought it slightly used, it surged at top, if that is right term. H limiter cap was gone. I carefully opened it up, ran better. Then more, but I don't have a tach, though I think it is still running slow. I compared it to my J 2149...for seat of pants perspective....Yes I know is rated 12,000 rpm. Also, it stalls in cut sometimes. I wonder if 411 clutch is needed. I think it is not broken in, it seems to run better with more time. One more thing, it seems to be using a lot of fuel. I will have to check actual capacity.

If you don't have experience tuning by ear, you really need to get it tuned with a tach. Too lean, and you burn it up. Too rich, and it doesn't make the power it should.
Yes, I understand that from studying posts here. Where can I purchase a good tach? I am a distance from dealer, so I best invest in one rather than spend the money on gasoline. I am a farmer, so will learn it well enough.

Now that right there is funny;) You can't hardly read a thread here without talk about a muffler mod. I may have posted what I did to the one I had. I'll have to look.
Da, I thought I had seen PS401 threads involving you, which provoked me towards needing this little saw . . .but I haven't been able to find it again cos I am lazy :)

Da, I thought I had seen PS401 threads involving you, which provoked me towards needing this little saw . . .but I haven't been able to find it again cos I am lazy :)

With the search function now broken, you can't even search for these thread with my name as the creator. I had to just start looking through all my old threads.

Here are a couple threads I did about the 401. Unfortunately, I don't see any pics of the muffler mod. Thread 1, Thread 2.
Thanks. Is muffler if opened wrong (too much?) bad for saw? Is there any general threads on muffler work?
I am aware muffler is not cheap, but I have common sense most of time. Or should I learn on a lesser saw?

Fast tach

One of AS sponsors, Edge & Engine sells them or something better;
they are Dolmar dealers & could help with parts & maybe help.

One of AS sponsors, Edge & Engine sells them or something better;
they are Dolmar dealers & could help with parts & maybe help.
Thanks . .good, cos I don't have great dealer near here, as far as I know. Only sellers that are mower shops and coming and going. I just talked to one (70 miles distant) that says he is quitting soon.

The PS33-PS411 US/Aus/NZ muffler is pretty restricted and can easily be opened up inside as the muffler comes apart to get to the screen.

Just don't go over about 85% of the exhaust port opening at the cylinder face when you open the muffler outlets and you'll be right, although up to 100% is fine.

The PS33-PS411 US/Aus/NZ muffler is pretty restricted and can easily be opened up inside as the muffler comes apart to get to the screen.

Just don't go over about 85% of the exhaust port opening at the cylinder face when you open the muffler outlets and you'll be right, although up to 100% is fine.
What about the other muffler shown on DOLMAR Spare Parts List ? (non US, CA. AUS, NZ) I see P\N 021 174 301 . . . .

Back