Dolmar PS-401 Mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 401 and with a 14" bar and Stihl non safety chain AND the muffler opened up a bit as Brad said, it is one of the best little saws out there. I installed an adjustable oiler to stop the idle run on oiling, clipped the small "tab" at the exhaust opening exiting the muffler and that's it. Tuned right on at 12,000 with tach, it is four stroking nicely and what fun to use at the end of a day after larger saws.

Get yours tuned right, sharp chain, and enjoy! They are keepers.:D

Mine is primarily used for stump work when I am dealing with stumps under 30" ...awesome little saw.

I have a 401 and with a 14" bar and Stihl non safety chain AND the muffler opened up a bit as Brad said, it is one of the best little saws out there. I installed an adjustable oiler to stop the idle run on oiling, clipped the small "tab" at the exhaust opening exiting the muffler and that's it. Tuned right on at 12,000 with tach, it is four stroking nicely and what fun to use at the end of a day after larger saws.

Get yours tuned right, sharp chain, and enjoy! They are keepers.:D[/QUOTE Today I clipped (bent until it broke off). the tab on the muffler. It seems to make significant difference. Saw run out and pulled better. I still believe it it breaking in and gets better, as other owners have witnessed. It did not bog today, even though I had bar buried in 20 inch Bradford Pear Stump. I still don't know high rpm, plan to buy a tach soon. Btw, approximately how much is the adjustable oiler upgrade?

The PS33-PS411 US/Aus/NZ muffler is pretty restricted and can easily be opened up inside as the muffler comes apart to get to the screen.

Just don't go over about 85% of the exhaust port opening at the cylinder face when you open the muffler outlets and you'll be right, although up to 100% is fine.

I removed the tab at the muffler outlet and it made big positive difference. Outlet is still much smaller than exhaust port exit, a long way from 85%.

Get yours tuned right, sharp chain, and enjoy! They are keepers.:D[/QUOTE Today I clipped (bent until it broke off). the tab on the muffler. It seems to make significant difference. Saw run out and pulled better. I still believe it it breaking in and gets better, as other owners have witnessed. It did not bog today, even though I had bar buried in 20 inch Bradford Pear Stump. I still don't know high rpm, plan to buy a tach soon. Btw, approximately how much is the adjustable oiler upgrade?[/QUOTE]

Adjustable Oiler is around $13, easy installation once the clutch is off. And just to correct myself, it still puts out oil at idle, but being adjustable you can custom set the screw to the amount of oil needed, which is typically less overall than the factory setting. And at idle less pumps out than before, but it still put out at idle. Just what I have found. Would I do it again? Probably not, because at idle is the only time you really notice excess oiling.

Ran my friend's 401 today wearing a 16" bar/chain in hard Maple buried, and it did really well for a small saw. Just was testing her making cookies SLOWLY, normally this is in wood not over 8" or so. Nice saw IMO.

Get yours tuned right, sharp chain, and enjoy! They are keepers.:D[/QUOTE Today I clipped (bent until it broke off). the tab on the muffler. It seems to make significant difference. Saw run out and pulled better. I still believe it it breaking in and gets better, as other owners have witnessed. It did not bog today, even though I had bar buried in 20 inch Bradford Pear Stump. I still don't know high rpm, plan to buy a tach soon. Btw, approximately how much is the adjustable oiler upgrade?

Adjustable Oiler is around $13, easy installation once the clutch is off. And just to correct myself, it still puts out oil at idle, but being adjustable you can custom set the screw to the amount of oil needed, which is typically less overall than the factory setting. And at idle less pumps out than before, but it still put out at idle. Just what I have found. Would I do it again? Probably not, because at idle is the only time you really notice excess oiling.

Ran my friend's 401 today wearing a 16" bar/chain in hard Maple buried, and it did really well for a small saw. Just was testing her making cookies SLOWLY, normally this is in wood not over 8" or so. Nice saw IMO.[/QUOTE] I think the way this one drips oil, it might not take so long to pay for the adjustable oiler. And less mess.

I used a nibbling tool to enlarge the hole on my 401's muffler, made it very easy.

This summer I bought a PS420 thinking it might replace my 401, but even though I love the 420, it made me appreciate the 401 all the more. An effortless saw to use with great power for its size. It's a keeper.

Removing the little tab in the muffler helps but it isn't enough.
My 401 didn't really come alive until I took my die grinder to the hole about 50% more!
They are a SUPER easy saw to port and that really makes them sing.
Don't worry too much with the intake, just widen it a little and smooth it out, it will flow all that the manifold will allow.
Be careful when you start putting it back together as there is a little bakelite/plastic adapter in there that takes the flow from round to oval (part # 150 - intermediate flange, if you have the IPL) and it will break QUITE easily if you don't install it precisely!!!
Don't bother to ask how I know this!

Mike

Removing the little tab in the muffler helps but it isn't enough.
My 401 didn't really come alive until I took my die grinder to the hole about 50% more!
They are a SUPER easy saw to port and that really makes them sing.
Don't worry too much with the intake, just widen it a little and smooth it out, it will flow all that the manifold will allow.
Be careful when you start putting it back together as there is a little bakelite/plastic adapter in there that takes the flow from round to oval (part # 150 - intermediate flange, if you have the IPL) and it will break QUITE easily if you don't install it precisely!!!
Don't bother to ask how I know this!

Mike
How large can hole be? Has anyone posted any pics on this subject? I might look for another saw to dink around with, this one is near new. I did download and print parts list.

How large can hole be? Has anyone posted any pics on this subject? I might look for another saw to dink around with, this one is near new. I did download and print parts list.

The hole in mine is about 1.5 times what you started with.
Good luck buying another to play with, they have gotten high. A non-runner on ebay will routinely bring over $100.00.
A good running well cared for example will bring close to what I paid for mine new.
That seems like a pretty good indicator of what a fine little saw they are.

Mike

Good luck buying another to play with, they have gotten high. A non-runner on ebay will routinely bring over $100.00.
A good running well cared for example will bring close to what I paid for mine new.

Mike
I paid $170 shipped FedEx for mine with a Poulan? case, 2 Dolmar 16" bars, One Dolmar chain need sharpened, one sharp barely used Oregon and two new Oregon, manual and tools. Seller switched to 5100S. I am happy with the deal. I talked with seller and was more confident than buy on Bay.

Mike
Yes, Little Dolmar already earned my respect. Now I am interested in a larger Dolmar of the older models. 120SI seems to be a favorite. Would that be a good one?

I paid $170 shipped FedEx for mine with a Poulan? case, 2 Dolmar 16" bars, One Dolmar chain need sharpened, one sharp barely used Oregon and two new Oregon, manual and tools. Seller switched to 5100S. I am happy with the deal. I talked with seller and was more confident than buy on Bay.

That's a helluva deal. I'm considering going the other way and selling my 5100S! It barely got used this year, the 401 and 420 handled it all.

That's a helluva deal. I'm considering going the other way and selling my 5100S! It barely got used this year, the 401 and 420 handled it all.
Da I don't have big trees. This saw will get most use. My 2149 will see much less work. Only others I will keep are my first saw, 306A and a Solo 655av. I bought a 6401, but won't keep it unless I decide to mill. Even then, there I might try a older Dolmar for that. I will be looking for another 401 :)

Vwee rooski?[/QUOTE
Ya ploHa panimayoo pa-Rooski :) My fiancee is Rus. Siberia Seversk/Tomsk Tomsk is big IT Center of Russian Federation, known as the "Siberian Oxford" Lena's Father was Head Nuclear Engineer to build Power Plant there. Now all is shut down except for one reactor that heats (hot water) two adjacent cities total 650,000 population. Lena and Son are both Programmers. There begins Largest Swamp in World. The Tiaga lies all north and goes forever. Lots of trees. I noticed there are some threads about Russian chainsaws on AS recently.

Very nice. I don't understand much either. Ladies from that part of the world are, in many ways, refreshingly different from ours. I brought one over (from Kiev) and came very close to marrying her a few years back. Sweet, gracious, easy to be with, the perfect partner in many respects. But very old fashioned. I told her I wanted to convert the house to passive solar, she was dead set against it, saying "none of the other houses around us have these things on them." Sigh. Yours being an programmer/engineer, you'll probably fare better in that respect. Good luck to the both of you.

Very nice. I don't understand much either. Ladies from that part of the world are, in many ways, refreshingly different from ours. I brought one over (from Kiev) and came very close to marrying her a few years back. Sweet, gracious, easy to be with, the perfect partner in many respects. But very old fashioned. I told her I wanted to convert the house to passive solar, she was dead set against it, saying "none of the other houses around us have these things on them." Sigh. Yours being an programmer/engineer, you'll probably fare better in that respect. Good luck to the both of you.
Spasibo! I have observed that most do not have sense of entitlement like American women. It is hard to find good loyal man there. When she's upset, you know it...let time pass and they swing back to normal. I think they are more accountable, will actually apologize. Siberian women are more like women here in the 50's, when I was a child. Not educated by Hollywood. Yes, refreshingly different. :)

It's your money, do with it as you like, but for me the 120SI can do NOTHING any better than a 6401!!!
Add to that the fact that your 6401 is obviously paid for and you will likely lose monry if you sell it....I'd keep what you've gpt and smile for a WHILE!!!:D

Mike

Yes foche, that is pretty much what I saw too. If the process weren't so costly and take so long, I might try again. Oh well.

We're talking about saws here, right? :biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back