DOLMAR PS-510A-20" ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
Reaction score
Hey folks...in a nutshell was talking yesterday at a store with a buddy I hadn't actually seen in about a year; unbeknownst to me, he and his wife divorced a while back, he's since been living in a apartment townhouse. He's got a next to brand new DOLMAR PS-510-A with a 20" B&C, has only used it twice to cut a little storm damage in the last year for his folks. He said he's thinking to get rid of it, if so, I'd get the first take on it. Wants $300, with the couple of tools it came with and the case. I see the same setup going for ballpark $400 currently. Of course if he does sell it and I get first stab at it, was gonna offer a little more than $300 just to help him out, but I don't wanna belittle him either...he's gotta helluva lot of pride. Yeh, he's a former Jarhead too!! Lol.

Any of you have this saw? Familiar with it? Will it pull a 20" bar good? Any inherent/known issues or problems with the model?

I figured I'd throw this up here...I'm sure you guys that have Dolmars at least in your sig's, and others, might could afford some opinion and assist. Thanks folks for any input, much appreciated.

I have no direct knowledge of the PS-510-A, but I have an older 5100s. In my opinion, 20" bars on 50cc saws is a little much generally speaking. I think that saw would be best fitted with a 16" bar and chain. That being said, you could run the 20" upon occasion out of necessity. I'd keep it to a minimum, however. I reckon there are always exceptions to the rules and some 50cc saws rock out with 20" bars....so your mileage may vary.

I have no direct knowledge of the PS-510-A, but I have an older 5100s. In my opinion, 20" bars on 50cc saws is a little much generally speaking. I think that saw would be best fitted with a 16" bar and chain. That being said, you could run the 20" upon occasion out of necessity. I'd keep it to a minimum, however. I reckon there are always exceptions to the rules and some 50cc saws rock out with 20" bars....so your mileage may vary.
Agree with JRS. I think if it is in like new condition $300 is fair for both parties.

a 510A20 translates to 510 with a 3/8 20" bar. they pull that amazingly well for being the low powered version of the 5105. They are definitely more at home with a 3/8 16". They are basically a 5105 but with less power and an aluminum case instead of mag(added weight to the tune of about a pound). solid, reliable saws overall.

They have a MSRP of $425 plus the case retails for $44. Back in the real world that saw with a case sells for around $400-425 new. well worth the $300 but even to a friend i was wanting to help out i would be hard pressed to pay much more than that.

a 510A20 translates to 510 with a 3/8 20" bar. they pull that amazingly well for being the low powered version of the 5105. They are definitely more at home with a 3/8 16". They are basically a 5105 but with less power and an aluminum case instead of mag(added weight to the tune of about a pound). solid, reliable saws overall.

They have a MSRP of $425 plus the case retails for $44. Back in the real world that saw with a case sells for around $400-425 new. well worth the $300 but even to a friend i was wanting to help out i would be hard pressed to pay much more than that.

...Thank you for the input. I've never owned a Dolmar...just wantin to see whether it's a good gamble. I still would like more inputs, but I sure appreciate yours. Thank you again.

I've never run a 510 but I would be willing to bet it would pull a 20" just fine. Also know that you could run that bar on your 460 and find a 16" for dolly.
Great idea. I didnt even look to see what saws he had. :clap:

...Thank you for the input. I've never owned a Dolmar...just wantin to see whether it's a good gamble. I still would like more inputs, but I sure appreciate yours. Thank you again.

with that 460 that is listed in your sig i think the dolly will fit in nicely. better built and from memory slightly lighter. same bar mount so the bar and chains will interchange. not the ideal saw combo but not a bad one either.

I've been very happy with my 510, but I've run it with an 18" bar. FWIW, the 18" bar is a 64DL 3/8", .050, which puts it at the shorter end of 18" bars. I'm pretty sure I've put it to a serious test cutting nice hardwood for firewood for about 5 years. I have never had reason to put a 20" bar on it. The balance of the 510 is almost perfect for me with the 18" bar. Just within the past week or so I picked up a 6100 with a 20" bar where it seems right at home. I'd suggest the saw is worth $300. If you aren't happy with the performance with the 20" bar, you should be able to find a 16 or 18 K095 pretty easily.

P1070708.JPG

Id say its right between the 445 and the 460. A pretty tight group imo but a decent bunch for firewooding. I would think the 460 would run a 20" pretty well. I had a 455 with one for years, it was a good saw until I joined this site...

...that's my problem NOW...LOL. Joinin' this damn site. CAD sucks...but I blame every damn one of y'all for my disease...whether we've 'liked' things or not...its ALL YALL'S FAULT. I shoulda known better than to ever get involved with you chainsaw FOOLS... Lol!!!...

I gotta problem fellas...CAD Sucks. Is there any re-hab out there other than buyin another friggin saw???

...I need help!!!:dumb2:

I've been very happy with my 510, but I've run it with an 18" bar. FWIW, the 18" bar is a 64DL 3/8", .050, which puts it at the shorter end of 18" bars. I'm pretty sure I've put it to a serious test cutting nice hardwood for firewood for about 5 years. I have never had reason to put a 20" bar on it. The balance of the 510 is almost perfect for me with the 18" bar. Just within the past week or so I picked up a 6100 with a 20" bar where it seems right at home. I'd suggest the saw is worth $300. If you aren't happy with the performance with the 20" bar, you should be able to find a 16 or 18 K095 pretty easily.

P1070708.JPG

...thank you Jere39 for the solid input on the saw...I had eyeballed pulling the 20" off and putting a 16-18" on it, being a 50cc saw. If offered up, I think it's a $300 saw all day long set up the way you said. The case, probably online, is $40-50 itself. Now I got literally $250 really tied up in the saw...thanks again for the input. If he says yes to the sell, I'm gonna get it.

your just getting started...with this purchase you will officially be on the path toward if it isnt a pro saw it isnt worth owning and you need a 661 with an 18" bar for firewood...all saws must be ported too

your just getting started...with this purchase you will officially be on the path toward if it isnt a pro saw it isnt worth owning and you need a 661 with an 18" bar for firewood...all saws must be ported too

...don't you dare start talkin that 'portin' crap...LOL:bowdown::bowdown:

Forgot to mention having a dolmar branded bar on a husky is sacrilegious. In fact having anything but a sugihara or tsumura light is pure sin around here. Better yet stay off arborist site and cut some damn wood, you'll never know what your missing.

Got a 510 about a year ago...Thought it would be a good 50cc second saw...I use it for everything of medium size. It's been an excellent saw... I'm very happy w/the 510...It'll serve you well...I run mine w/an 18" 3/8 50 68dl...rs33 chain...and a rim sprocket. It pulls very hard in the wood and is one of the easiest starting saws I've ever had. $300 is a fair price and should do what you want.

Latest posts

Back