Dolmar PS6400 - PS7900 ( PS-6400 - PS-7900 )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will want to double-check things - I believe that the matte black hood set only works with the newer cylinders with the decomp moved to the right side of the saw. At least that's what the 6400c project saw in my basement had going on; an earlier 7900 P/C swap required the older-style covers (I had some, in red, waiting around for this) and a new inner flywheel shroud with a provision for the left-side decomp.

The shiny black top covers and, I believe, the HD setup, will work with the earlier cylinder where the decomp is on the left. My preference is for the early red-top covers, but I appear to be in the minority on that. Now if they would come out with red HD setup, that's something I could get behind!
Hello B. :hi:

What's a decomp? :p

Just kidding! :laugh:

Neither of my two big girls have a decompression thingy. ;)
Does that make them able to wear any hood or are there differences in the seating area and/or snap on clips?

Neither of my two big girls have a decompression thingy. ;)
Does that make them able to wear any hood or are there differences in the seating area and/or snap on clips?

Good question. I'll look, but I think they should interchange without any trouble in your case. Clips for the air filter cover are the same, and the front part screws down using the same mount points, so it should interchange fine.

Good question. I'll look, but I think they should interchange without any trouble in your case. Clips for the air filter cover are the same, and the front part screws down using the same mount points, so it should interchange fine.

Cool , with a little luck no worries then thanks to not having a deco on my saws! :)

23lbs with the 30" Iggesund bar and full comp chain - almost flickable ;)

157793794.XPeGg6ya.jpg

Any thoughts regarding IGGESUND FOREST R2 guide bars , quality , durability?

I am considering to get me (a bigger) one for my PS-7900 for some rare oddball tree trunks - and for the beauty of it! :)

I could get an 30" Iggesund Forest R2 bar for about 67 USD , or a 36" for about 78 USD.

I guess considering my needs , whatever the quality it would do just fine but would still like some opinions! ;)
I read that some users claim them to be "soft".

I am eyeballing a 36" one , though considering 30" due to reports of insufficient bar oil output of the PS-7900's pump for anything over 32".

to my knowledge all the filter covers interchange. i like the black ones because of the mesh screen. the red top did not have that and the air filter knew it! With the red top air filter maintenance is mandatory even with a sharp chain in green wood. once the screen was added it isnt bad running the standard filter. I still like the HD filter setup for looks and the fact i havent bothered to clean the air filter on my 7900 in months. still not as good as the 6100 though.

The cylinder cover must be matched to the decomp.

I gathered these part numbers , but am not 100% sure about the part descriptions:
- 038 118 022 - hood red NLA IIRC
- 038 118 024 - hood matte black, features the pre-filter mesh
- 038 118 221 - hood glossy black , features the pre-filter mesh

to my knowledge all the filter covers interchange. i like the black ones because of the mesh screen. the red top did not have that and the air filter knew it! With the red top air filter maintenance is mandatory even with a sharp chain in green wood. once the screen was added it isnt bad running the standard filter. I still like the HD filter setup for looks and the fact i havent bothered to clean the air filter on my 7900 in months. still not as good as the 6100 though.

The cylinder cover must be matched to the decomp.

I gathered these part numbers , but am not 100% sure about the part descriptions:
- 038 118 022 - hood red NLA IIRC
- 038 118 024 - hood matte black, features the pre-filter mesh
- 038 118 221 - hood glossy black , features the pre-filter mesh

Thank You for the info Nate! :clap:

I won't have to bother about the decomp , my saws don't have one and I only want the carb covers/hoods replaced with the never versions featuring the pre-filter mesh. :)

I'll have to drop in by the Dolmar dealer close by my sister's home when I visit her the next time (not in Croatia ;) ).

:cheers:

i pulled the ones off my shelf to check.

i wonder how much the HD filter hurts performance? when you install them you have to lean out the carb so that indicates it is restricting the airflow. Anyone tried timed cuts back to back to verify?

i pulled the ones off my shelf to check.

Thanks for that! :cheers:

i wonder how much the HD filter hurts performance? when you install them you have to lean out the carb so that indicates it is restricting the airflow. Anyone tried timed cuts back to back to verify?

Isn't the HD filter setup supposed to have more surface thus resulting in less airflow restriction? o_O

Maybe the filter material is denser to successfully keep fine dust like chips out of the carb/engine?! :confused:

filter itself is much...much larger surface area. The restriction is in the fancy elbow they use to adapt the air filter to the carb..I THINK.

I too would say they aren't quite as hard as Stihl bars. But here, they are half the cost...

Any thoughts regarding IGGESUND FOREST R2 guide bars , quality , durability?

I am considering to get me (a bigger) one for my PS-7900 for some rare oddball tree trunks - and for the beauty of it! :)

I could get an 30" Iggesund Forest R2 bar for about 67 USD , or a 36" for about 78 USD.

I guess considering my needs , whatever the quality it would do just fine but would still like some opinions! ;)
I read that some users claim them to be "soft".

I am eyeballing a 36" one , though considering 30" due to reports of insufficient bar oil output of the PS-7900's pump for anything over 32".

I too would say they aren't quite as hard as Stihl bars. But here, they are half the cost...
Don't know about Stihl bars , thus far I only used OEM Dolmar/Oregon bars on my saws.
My PS-6400 is wearing her original bar - that is 9 years and me thinks the fifth chain now.
If Iggesund Forest bars are like Oregon ones , or even a little less good , they would suit me just fine!

Thanks for replying! :cheers:

P.S.:
I agree on the pricing of Iggesund Forest bars.
The 36" Iggesund Forest bar is listed at half of what a 28" Dolmar/Oregon bar is supposed to cost around here. o_O

Don't know about Stihl bars , thus far I only used OEM Dolmar/Oregon bars on my saws.
My PS-6400 is wearing her original bar - that is 9 years and me thinks the fifth chain now.
If Iggesund Forest bars are like Oregon ones , or even a little less good , they would suit me just fine!

Thanks for replying! :cheers:

5 chains would last me just a few months. If you can make a bar last 9 years, I wouldn't worry about R2 bars being 'soft'.

Value. if they last 3/4 as long as a Stihl bar but cost half they are a good value. Maybe not for production work but for a firewood hack they would work quite well

I havent been real impressed with oregon Pro-Lite bars which are a big disappointment. Powermatch arent much better.

Value. if they last 3/4 as long as a Stihl bar but cost half they are a good value. Maybe not for production work but for a firewood hack they would work quite well

I only have the one bar, and it is a 30" one, so do not use it every day. It has a few dents in it from wood falling on it after cutting some large rounds that I am not so sure a Stihl bar would have. But the chain wear on the rails hasn't been bad, and I haven't had to dress it any more than usual. The paint is amazing, tho. Must be epoxy on my one coz it isn't hardly coming off.

I havent been real impressed with oregon Pro-Lite bars which are a big disappointment. Powermatch arent much better.

I have had two completely different experiences with ProLite bars. I had one for my 361 that was soft, and the paint wore off the first week. I dunno where it was made, though. But the current bar I have is considerably harder, made in Canada, and the paint isn't wearing any more than a Stihl bar would.

Sad truth for me is the Forester brand bars seem to wear just as good as the oregon bars but dont seem as stiff and bend easily. thats just seat of the pants feelings though and the local tree trimming outfit runs forester bars on everything. claim they hold up as long as you dont pinch/bend them. so basically the same experience/feeling i had with them.

5 chains would last me just a few months. If you can make a bar last 9 years, I wouldn't worry about R2 bars being 'soft'.

Spot on! :)
I cut about 10 cubic meters of firewood a year for my own purpose , every other year I help cutting my uncles firewood trunks adding another 7 cubic meters.
That been said an Iggesund Forest bar should do just fine as it would hardly see any serious work , just cutting what my 20" bars don't reach in a single one sided cut. ;)

Powermatch bars have the replaceable tip right?
We don't have those around here , or they are very scarce/hard to come by!

For my own needs I am extremely satisfied with the (Pro-Lite style) Dolmar/Oregon bars. :clap:

Had a (pleasant) surprise await me today as I got home from work - my oak firewood tree trunks were delivered! :surprised3:

The driver had been told that the trunks can be "a little bigger" rather then thin stuff - like up to 50-70 cm (20-28").
Well he sure has a funky way of measuring because this is what I've got:
DSC00172.JPG DSC00173.JPG
DSC00175.JPG DSC00179.JPG

FYI , that is an 20" bar! ;)

I'm not complaining , this should be fun to play with and it's definitely worthy of my PS-7900. :chainsaw:
But I really need a longer bar then those 20"-ers I've got on my PS-6400 & PS-7900. :confused:

Funny thing is , my uncle ordered his firewood about a week before me (I ordered last Saturday) - I got mine already because nobody around here wants the hassle of bucking and splitting large logs like those.

OK , they are not large - around here these are considered HUGE! :bowdown:

If it weren't drizzling I would have probably been outside playing with my PS-7900 and that tree trunk pile having an ear-to-ear grin on my face! :)

Hmm , weather forecast for tomorrow - cloudy but no rain , ~7°C (45°F). :chop:

BTW: That is 7 cubic meters of wood.

Latest posts

Back