Done....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that. . . go to court and plea it down. My buddy is a motorcarrier and they issue everything and let the judges work it out.

Generally speaking, if the GVWR is over 10,000lbs and the truck is used in a way to make money (Ie hauling firewood that is being sold) it needs a DOT #.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number

Not sure what Sec of State has to do with it, that'd be like asking the saleman at Home Depot if you need to file your taxes this year.

the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is in charge of it.

There seems an almost terminal lack of competency and 'giveachit' amongst government employees here too. I had to bounce between four different people for half a day before nailing down exactly what the rules were around my tractor on public roads. Best thing is tell them you are recording the conversation and if the arse-covering, snivelling rodents try to back out of going on the record with their advice, you know darn well they don't deserve a minute more of your time and going further up the food chain is the next option until someone is willing to go on the record.

The number of professional, non-responsible cockroaches in the system is alarming.

I believe Michigan changed it back to 26,001 GVWR for trucks or truck and trailer combination and 10,001 for trailers used commercially. Secretary of state knows nothing, DOT numbers are issued by the feds, only way to get information is talk to the state police commercial carriers division. Call a few offices (Rockford, Cadillac, Lansing, Brighton) and talk to an officer from each. You will have to average out the answers because they won't all be the same. It's a nightmare trying to do everything legal.

So glad I only have to deal with local roads - no highways. The locals don't care or even know the laws on hauling. They only pull over speeders.

? so did you get that in writing ?? once a dot(cop) get's your number you are tag for some time!!
I know a guy that was hauling fill dirt across a state highway. He had the permits to cross the road, flaggers, signs, everything the state required. Weigh man would set up on the hill and watch the trucks as they crossed the road and every now and then stop one and put it on his scales. Owner/operator made a few calls claiming harrassement. That just made the Weight man pissed. waited for the owner to pull out on the main highway with his ton truck and pulled him over to check the fuel. The ton truck had a diesel transfer tank on the back. After running his little stick down in the truck fuel tank, he told the owner this truck runs on gas, If you had just told me that, I wouldnt of checked the gas tank. truck driver told him, you have checked out everything I own, I figured you might as well check out my little truck as well. A few words where exchanged and a few more calls made and the Weight man ended up apologising to the truck driver and was also transferred out of the area. I have only been stopped by the dmv and checked one time. I had my 1000gal hydroseeder loaded on top with seeding materials, but no water. The State wanted to weigh my truck, He didnt know it didnt have any water in it. I told him tank was empty and he said ok and sent me on my way. different experiences .My truck would have been legal, even if it had been full of water as I had weighed it myself right after I bought it just to be sure of that very thing.

? so did you get that in writing ?? once a dot(cop) get's your number you are tag for some time!!

I thought about calling the cop (just a local police from a nearby town - I was pulled over for not having a plate on the trailer - it was a new trailer/plate that was on the dashboard, so he let me off).
I decided not to call him, and figured if he came after me again, I'd just try and explain. Never heard anything again.

I got out of a $610 ticket last year (idiot hired hand stacked a bunch of kindling sized pieces on the top of the load.

Trooper said "doubt your making that type of money huh?" I told him I may as well just dump it right there and put a free sign vs hauling it another 100 miles.

A buddy got a $210 ticket for being over length by a foot on a couple logs. (Only permitted for 10ft overhang). Likely would have got a full ass raping bUT the cork soaker (I mean occifer) was close to shift change.

I got pulled over once with one of my trailers. Licence office made an error when they licenced the trailer, should have been 5000 kgs and they put down 500kgs. Officer said I should have been aware of the mistake. I had a few other issues with the trailer and looking at $2000 fine. I ended up talking my way out of it and got nothing. He told me he took down the plate number off the trailer and entered it into the "system", if he caught me again I would get the ticket book. I went home and the next day had my wife go to licence place and get a new plate and ownership for the trailer. Took the old plate off and cut it up for scrap steel. I hope I never ever get pulled over by the same guy cause he isn't going to be so nice the 2nd time. I build a lot of my own trailers.

It took me 11 times to register/title my trailer, this took over a year. !st time out I got pulled over for weight questions. Officer told me the weight was ok but the title and registration had to match. I told him my story of registration/title battle. Then said I was going to shove that trailer up his ass if he made me start this fight over again. He got the point and sent me on my way. One can only take so much stupidity.

fIL law was stopped in his old log truck about a mile from his house. Truck was empty, but DOT started checking lights, tires and started writing FIL a ticket. FIL got out of the truck and got his chainsaw, gas/oil can and started walking away. Dot told him, you cant leave this truck here, fIL said it aint my truck, it now belongs to the state. Officer was confused as heck and asked what he meant by that. FIL told him there was no way he could pay all those fines so he was giving the truck to the state. Officer didnt know what to say or do so he issued a warning ticket and on the bottom of the ticket he wrote, Driving without a truck.

Haha muddstopper,
My father had a similar thing happen. While driving an old surplus state 4yd dump we were pulled over by a cop. He tore that dump apart looking for any cite-able issue. Cop finally decided the crack in the windshield was BADDDDDDD haha. So pop kicked it out, put on safety goggles, gave me a pair too and drove off. The cop never again pulled dad over even seeing him heaps of times thereafter!

Latest posts

Back