Dooms day approaches...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Business opportunity, running non-epa chainsaws out of Canada plus my own personal use is what I was thinking.

I'll start calling you Capone... To be honest I'm not sure what's going on up here. My local shop still has tons of 372s and 395s kicking around, and they haven't heard anything about discontinuation yet. We're quite often a couple years behind the States as far as some regs go though - for example our TV broadcasting isn't scheduled to go thru the digital switch for two more years. On the other hand, we're usually a bit ahead when the environment is concerned, so who knows. I think a lot of this is smoke and mirrors anyway, it's to the manufacturers' advantage in the short term to propagate rumors of model discontinuation, then everyone who really wants one will feel the need to go out and buy it right away even if they don't really need it.

I'm not terribly concerned though. I was absolutely dreading it when the 4-wheeler manufacturers all switched to four-stroke, but am quite happy with mine anyway. It doesn't have near the top-end speed of my dad's two-stroke, but the raw torque for pulling loads is incomparable. As long as they don't make it illegal to make/sell parts for old non-compliant saws, I don't really care what they do to the new ones as long as they work well.

no worries.. I'll head up the south of the border - mEixCo runs! No one will be able to undercut me! I will be able to get anything and everthing! Believe it or not they also have blonde's and Redheads :)

Last edited:
Well, contrary to where this thread is heading, the Stihl chainsaws in both Canada and Mexico are more expensive than they are here in the states.

They'll still be available after 2010 though?

Varies on the saw and countries sold. Stihl saw models are widely varaible around the world. You cannot buy a 361 in Latin America, where they still sell the 360.They sell the 051, 070 and 076 in Mexico. In Argentina, you can buy most of the saws here, as well as the 360 and the 381. But they do not sell the 230, 270, 310, 361, or the 880 there. In South Africa you can get a 070, 360, 440 and 381. But they do not sell the 210, 270, 280, 290, 310, or the 361. Oz has about the same saw selection as the states. In the UK, they have already rolled out the newer smaller 171-181-211 AV saws, as well as have the 240 and the 341, and they do not sell the 270 or the 310.

Note that the 381 is not like the 361 with AV and redesigned engine. It is pretty much a 380 design. I would imagine that saws will be sold where they can be sold. Realize that Stihl chainsaws typically sell for 2-3 times the price that they do here in most other parts of the world though. In Japan, they are more like 5 times the price.

help me understand, harder to mod? meaning no more porting or diy muffler mods?:cry::cry::cry:

The strato-charged air-injected engines are harder to mod, yes. Muffler mods do not seem to add much if anything in the way of increased power. Porting will have some effect, if they are done right. There is some debate and variable feedback as to the gains and effects of certain types of porting.

Last edited:
The strato-charged air-injected engines are harder to mod, yes. Muffler mods do not seem to add much if anything in the way of increased power. Porting will have some effect, if they are done right. There is some debate and variable feedback as to the gains and effects of certain types of porting.

oh no i need to buy up then:censored::censored::censored:

Thanks!

I was having buyers remorse there for a moment. Just picked up 660 parts saw to go with my 290,044,066.:clap:

Something tells me the used saw market value will be going up....that's good for use CAD diagnosed buyers this year...lol!

Thanks for the info wind. I can buy 2 well used but no parts missing 440s from a logger for 100 bucks each,this should last me the time I have left, along with the saws I have now.

Thanks for the info wind. I can buy 2 well used but no parts missing 440s from a logger for 100 bucks each,this should last me the time I have left, along with the saws I have now.

:taped: NO! Forget what I said! Wait for the strato saws. They are great! Yah! They are really better saws! Let me take those old tired and obsolete 440s off your friends' hands for $100 each!

:taped: NO! Forget what I said! Wait for the strato saws. They are great! Yah! They are really better saws! Let me take those old tired and obsolete 440s off your friends' hands for $100 each!
this guy is a hoot. he knows his saws but other than chains bars and rims he just runs em till they loose some power then replaces em.the 460 i got from him (for 100 buck) had never had the screen cleaned. we go way back tho (he married my sister).

this guy is a hoot. he knows his saws but other than chains bars and rims he just runs em till they loose some power then replaces em.the 460 i got from him (for 100 buck) had never had the screen cleaned. we go way back tho (he married my sister).

BIL? I see. Family discount. Sounds like a nice deal though.

To be honest, if he was my brother in law, after the first couple saws I would offer to start fixing some of them for him. Of course I don't have a brother in law, but if he was good enough for my sister he'd be good enough to get a little free advice and some free or cheap labor out of me. Or else he'd end up like PlantBiologist's BIL and have to make sure that all the guns were safely locked away before he came to visit.

i know for a fact that ms362s have been to Connecticut.

i hear they run well but i think i'll buy a 361 and leave it in the attic just in case.

Back