DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DR has introduced a rack & pinion splitter.

World's Fastest Log Splitter - DR RapidFire - YouTube

Anybody see on yet?

Havent seen one yet, but it infuriated me to no end in their video when they showed the old guy using a hydraulic splitter in comparison. Yeah, hydraulics are slower for sure,but the operator himself was about the slowest moving guy ever, not to mention he let the ram go almost all the way back before chunking the wood up on the beam while being timed.

You want to convince me to buy the thing, show me how well it does busting through some nasty pecan chunks, and compare it to a skilled guy using a hydraulic splitter who is actually trying to get through some cords in one day.

I guess no price on them yet that I can find anywhere. Has to be in the same range as the SS I would think.

DR dosn't make anything themselves.

They market the crap out of other folks products though, and are darn good at it.

Slap the DR name on a super split and jack the price a smidge, and after a gazillion TV commercials, they will quadruple sales.

Not a bad move on the part of SS if so.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'd never heard of DR until I read this post. Googled DR wood splitters and checked out their 22 ton model.........$2000. Almost fell off my chair. Why would anybody buy this over priced equipment? Seems to be similar to a Speedco. Even here in Canada ( the land of the bent over ) you can get a 22 ton splitter for $1500.
What's the deal with DR?

DR/Country Home Products IS a model marketing machine. Think of the LL Bean mission: any return, anytime (with rare exceptions).

DR products are sold not only with an unconditional 6 month return ( NO questions asked...really ), but the products come with excellent toll-free technical product service, parts usually free even beyond warranty, and excellent quality. The DR warranty is not one of those "fine print", legal things. The only thing that will drive you batty is the background 'music': bird singing.

So choose your value vs cost. It's why some choose Stihl, or Subaru, or Glock, or ..............

JMNSHO

I'd never heard of DR until I read this post. Googled DR wood splitters and checked out their 22 ton model.........$2000. Almost fell off my chair. Why would anybody buy this over priced equipment? Seems to be similar to a Speedco. Even here in Canada ( the land of the bent over ) you can get a 22 ton splitter for $1500.
What's the deal with DR?

Around here DR can be found parked in the garage of a weekend warrior. Several of my lawn customers have their equipment. None of it ever gets used. As far as quality goes (keep in mind I haven't used it, just looked it over) build and materials are somewhere between homeowner grade and commercial grade. One guy has a 10yr old power wagon with 9.5yrs of dust on it. I asked if he would sell it....his asking price was $50 less than new...he said it with a straight face.

Havent seen one yet, but it infuriated me to no end in their video when they showed the old guy using a hydraulic splitter in comparison. Yeah, hydraulics are slower for sure,but the operator himself was about the slowest moving guy ever, not to mention he let the ram go almost all the way back before chunking the wood up on the beam while being timed.

You want to convince me to buy the thing, show me how well it does busting through some nasty pecan chunks, and compare it to a skilled guy using a hydraulic splitter who is actually trying to get through some cords in one day.[/QUOTE

based on the speed of the ram on the hydraulic, the motor was barely idling. Talk about pushing the boundaries of truthful advertising.

I thought the video was a crock also.First I thought the old guy was gonna drop dead lifting that small piece of wood.Then the speed comparison was a joke at best.If all hydraulic splitters were that slow axes would be flying off the shelves.Id be interested in seeing comments on you tube when they start getting them.

Out of curiosity, I called DR today to compare their price to the SS. The DR will not be available until sometime after Sept. 1st. I was told their manual start model will be priced at $2295 & the electric start will be $2495. The patents on these mechanical splitters have long since expired, so anyone can legally build & sell them. The DR uses the same principal as SS, but the cam to engage the gears is quite different. I told the guy I spoke with that their claim as the World's Fastest Splitter is baloney. The video says it's a 3 second cycle time, whereas the SS is 2 1/2 second cycle. My homebuilt SS copy has a 1.9 to 2.1 second cycle time, but my pinion gear has a much bigger pitch diameter than either the SS or DR. I only run my engine at half throttle & turn my flywheels (102 lbs each ) at 160 rpm. Haven't split any pecan, but splits hickory, elm, & sweet gum just fine. Oak & maple are a breeze.

Trimmer

What's the deal with DR?

I have an old model non self propelled DR string trimmer, walk behind kind. Kicks boot-tay deluxe. It's heavy, that's why I guess they went to self propelled. Has a Kaw engine cranks first or second pull every time, even after sitting up all winter. Swings a mean fat string. You can walk it right through the thickest bramble patches, stuff like that, all the way to sapling thickets, small ones, but still...I take it and use it where I can't get the tractor and bush hawg easy.

They may be just a marketing company, but they pick and choose what they decide to market. I guess that's what you are paying for, that and support.

DR RapidFire

Where will these splitters be available? Does DR only ship direct to the consumer or do they use retail outlets also?

"Splits anything in it's path" :laugh: As long as you got that "pretty" wood it will :dizzy:

You want to convince me to buy the thing, show me how well it does busting through some nasty pecan chunks, and compare it to a skilled guy using a hydraulic splitter who is actually trying to get through some cords in one day.

based on the speed of the ram on the hydraulic, the motor was barely idling. Talk about pushing the boundaries of truthful advertising.

ehh just like every advertiser out there.

Knowing DR though I can't afford it. I also don't understand why no one is making it with larger tires and wider stance

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back