Drill Holes to Lighten Bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the handsaw just dont look as cool as a 660 with a 32 inch bar when sitting on your shoulder though

I've done that on many occasions. A well sharpened handsaw cuts wood faster than most people would think.

It won't work anyway!
Unless you plug the holes you drill with something the chips and dust will fill the holes and work very similar to...although the opposite of, a pair of chinese handcuffs.

I have a 42" bar that has the hole in the end for the helper handle and if I don't keep that outside the wood on the opposite side it fills up with sawdust and locks up tighter than a fat mans belt!

Mike

It won't work anyway!
Unless you plug the holes you drill with something the chips and dust will fill the holes and work very similar to...although the opposite of, a pair of chinese handcuffs.

I have a 42" bar that has the hole in the end for the helper handle and if I don't keep that outside the wood on the opposite side it fills up with sawdust and locks up tighter than a fat mans belt!

Mike

Do you mean that holes in the bar fill up with sawdust/oil so much that they bind against the wood in the cut?

holes in bar

Do you mean that holes in the bar fill up with sawdust/oil so much that they bind against the wood in the cut?
Exactly. I have filled holes in long bars for others who didn't like the way the bar would bind up in the cut. Drilling holes is easy enough in a drill press using SHARP cobalt bits. Plugging them is harder.

Some of the big two man saws had their bars perforated in order to lighten them up.
Here is a photo of one of my Titan bars - a 5ft bar which has been drilled in this manner. The other pic shows a tree being felled with a saw fitted out with a similar bar.

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some of the big two man saws had their bars perforated in order to lighten them up.
Here is a photo of one of my Titan bars - a 5ft bar which has been drilled in this manner. The other pic shows a tree being felled with a saw fitted out with a similar bar.

Chris.

attachment.php

It that a hydraulic operated saw? Looking at the guy on the right, to his left is what looks like 2 black hoses, somewhat twisted, running down and behind him. just curious.....

For less than the price of one good drill bit, you can invest in a set of 3 lb. lady's dumbbells to bulk up your arm "muscles" and be a lot better off. :hmm3grin2orange:

1 lb of weight will save a 180 lb. person with 20 lbs. of gear approximately 4 calories per hour going uphill ( 725 vs. 729 ) and get you there 18 seconds quicker.

A 5 % increase in fitness, and that ain't much, will get you there 3 minutes quicker.

I'm not saying the weight doesn't matter, just keep it in perspective.

Just go ahead and try it! Aren't those bars cheap and common on the used market? Go for it, report back how it worked out or didn't.

Now I am guessing that if that worked, you'd see a variety of them on the market from the bar companies. You can try it anyway though, see what happens.

One time when I was 36 years old I burned all my extra clothes before I hiked the return 5 mile trip from Crater Lake off Elwood pass in the San Juans of SW Colorado. I did carry a 6 pound cut-throat trout out though, as that was the reason I was there. Just saying, 12 to 13,000 feet altitude can be a little challenging and I understand the OP's thinking. We count every ounce in the packs.

I believe I would carry a small wedge instead of an extra bar and use it. All that grows up there is pine, spruce and aspen.

I should have told you that on the return trips I took mules. They will carry anything and everything. If you have a dog you could fit it with a dog pack and let the mutt carry the fuel and oil, then you can carry the kibbles.... my mutt is happy to carry the whiskey!

Maybe this is plain dumb... but would this be a remotely acceptable application to use a much smaller saw than necessary, with a long enough bar, and then a full skip chain so the saw can pull it? Like, an MS200 with a 20 something bar? Seems like saving powerhead weight would be a lot more beneficial than bar weight.

jeff

Latest posts

Back