Drill Holes to Lighten Bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, like this:

After.jpg

Just curious as to what that line is above the tree? Looks like it goes around a little rod of some kind.

1 lb of weight will save a 180 lb. person with 20 lbs. of gear approximately 4 calories per hour going uphill ( 725 vs. 729 ) and get you there 18 seconds quicker.

A 5 % increase in fitness, and that ain't much, will get you there 3 minutes quicker.

I'm not saying the weight doesn't matter, just keep it in perspective.

I am just curious as to why some of the posts on here assume that the OP is out of shape and that is part of his problem. He just might be young at 175lbs and lean and mean.
Instead of a back up bar for your saw I like the ideal of a sharp hand saw. Then you have both in case something happens to your chain saw you still have a back up that can be used.

Why not just try it on a cheap bar and then carry that around on the saw and see what you think. I, myself, have found that I can get just about anything done with a smaller saw, too, [read: lighter] and with a shorter bar than I normally use. To wit: I took my 211 up a 60-degree slope last month, with a 16" bar, instead of my 441 with a 25" bar. It was still heavy by the time I got way up where I needed to go. But it did the job just fine. Obviously, it took me a little more time to get the trees cut up, and the 211 was being worked very hard, but it got done and I did not miss the extra weight of the larger saw as I scrambled up, at times on all-fours. In fact, I bought the 211 just a few months back for that very reason: tired of draining much of my valuable energy hauling bigger saws around difficult terrain.

Meaning: think smallest saw you can get by with, shortest bar. Well, you've [OP] have probably already thought of this option.

Just curious as to what that line is above the tree? Looks like it goes around a little rod of some kind.

Portable electric fence? The little rods stick in the ground and the white tape carries the wire. The stock can see the white tape better than just a plain wire and after a few learning zaps they'll stay off of it.

You can use it for temporary grazing control with a solar powered charger.

I am just curious as to why some of the posts on here assume that the OP is out of shape and that is part of his problem. He just might be young at 175lbs and lean and mean.
Instead of a back up bar for your saw I like the ideal of a sharp hand saw. Then you have both in case something happens to your chain saw you still have a back up that can be used.

I never implied he was out of shape, I just pointed out how small that pound was in the equation of getting uphill and there were other things that could be done that make a much bigger difference. That pound makes the same difference for someone in tip-top shape as it does for someone who is untrained - it's still just one pound less weight moved, and a half-percent improvement, for any given horsepower level ( Power / Weight )

If we assumed anything, it would only be that someone in peak shape probably wouldn't be worrying much about that pound and would just get on with the business at hand.

If we assumed anything, it would only be that someone in peak shape probably wouldn't be worrying much about that pound and would just get on with the business at hand.

Exactly. You don't even have to be in peak shape to carry and handle a saw that small.

You couldn't realize enough weight savings by cutting holes in the bar to even be noticeable on a saw as small as the OP uses.

The OP has posted quite a bit on here asking for advice about different things concerning saws and cutting. He usually argues with most of the advice he gets. He doesn't want our advice as much as he wants our validation of some goofy idea he already thought up or some plan of action that makes sense only to him.
LOL...he gets clobbered pretty good some times but he always comes back for more.

That's a portable electric fence, meant to keep these guys upstream of the road:

Heifers_2012-02-29.jpg

This is USFS land and the critters belong to a local rancher who has a winter range permit.

Last edited:
That's a portable electric fence, meant to keep these guys upstream of the road:

Heifers_2012-02-29.jpg

This is USFS land and the critters belong to a local rancher who has a winter range permit.

I think most of those guys are girls. Next time you're up there just walk up behind one of them, lift their tail, and check out the plumbing...or lack thereof. Let us know.

I think most of those guys are girls. Next time you're up there just walk up behind one of them, lift their tail, and check out the plumbing...or lack thereof. Let us know.

Isn't that the udder truth.... I am glad I am not trying to support a herd on tumbleweeds. And people wonder why there is erosion.

I think the fact that the only pictures you can find of drilled/perforated bars are on saws from the 1960's says something about the concept.

Why do people get SOOOOOO upset when you're not 100% supportive and positive about their "original" idea? You know, maybe some of us do know what we're talking about. There are experienced saw operators here, trained engineers, etc..

If you don't believe these guys, then why not try it for yourself? Maybe you'll be blazing a trail in more ways than one.

Why not just try it on a cheap bar and then carry that around on the saw and see what you think. I, myself, have found that I can get just about anything done with a smaller saw, too, [read: lighter] and with a shorter bar than I normally use. To wit: I took my 211 up a 60-degree slope last month, with a 16" bar, instead of my 441 with a 25" bar. It was still heavy by the time I got way up where I needed to go. But it did the job just fine. Obviously, it took me a little more time to get the trees cut up, and the 211 was being worked very hard, but it got done and I did not miss the extra weight of the larger saw as I scrambled up, at times on all-fours. In fact, I bought the 211 just a few months back for that very reason: tired of draining much of my valuable energy hauling bigger saws around difficult terrain.

Meaning: think smallest saw you can get by with, shortest bar. Well, you've [OP] have probably already thought of this option.
Yes, my Husky 435 is among the lightest rear handle saws on the market. The only saws lighter are the rear handle variants of top handle saws at 3-4 times what I paid for the 435. I was willing to get a 14" B&C but I couldn't find one at Baileys so I went cheap. Today I ordered 2-16" bars, total $12 and I'll see if I can drill a hole in one. If I can, then I make a pattern and drill the entire bar. I have a good drill press with a 5/8" chuck. If I can remove 8 oz or more then it will be a success, if not probably not worth the effort. So $6 and my time, not much to lose.

Looks like we share the same elevation, 8500 feet and a willingness to try. I have a trail project planned for 10,000' next month with one large green deadfall, that will tell me if the holes are a problem in the cut, nothing like a test. Green wood is always more problematic than dry wood like the photos above, #31.

I've come to that conclusion too.

Considered that first, but on Baileys I could only find 16" .325 bars, same as I have. I want a second B&C in case I bind in the many cuts, could abandon the B&C or cut it out with the spare.

Did a search in titles for "holes" and found a number of threads, seems the biggest issue is the hole(s) filling with sawdust and binding the bar.

I drilled my Poulan bar for the Husky oil hole, easy. Guess that speaks more to the Poulan bar.

Surprised at the number of Boo Birds brought out by such a simple question. If I knew everything about chainsaws, no reason to be here.

Thanks J2F, for your thoughts.

Yo Colorado dude. This is a free forum. You came on here and asked for free advise. You got it. Kwityrbellyakin! A wise man told me to learn stuff from those I thought had something to contribute and ignore the rest. Can you try that?

Food for thought ; Take a servicable bar , and have a local shop cut some designs or holes out of it using a water-jet or laser cutter . This way you will not take the temper out if the steel . Leave a good gap around the perimeter for strength , similar to the vintage bar pics previous .
I'm pretty confident you could shave 1lb. easily . If your lucky , or know someone who knows someone , they might be able to hook you up with this service for $cheap ? I'm sure there are some good fab shops in metropolitan areas .

Goddammit Bob! Spit beer all over the computer reading that and now my Wife's pissed......
:laugh:

Back