Drilling Buttress Roots for Data?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this legit?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Reaction score
Up to now, I'd known of only one company that drills the flare for data, despite the obvious health issues from wounding and spreading decay in that critical part of the tree. But when I ordered the Root Management BMP, I saw that practice featured on the cover.

Shell wall thickness formulas have been found to be highly questionable, so this was a surprise. Does anyone know of any science, research, or documented results from practice that supports drilling the flare to get data?drill ooze buttress carrboro small cropt.jpg root bmp.jpg

Well you got me thinking and researching so thats a good thing,, but i found no direct literature on drilling root buttress for data.. Tom Smiley may have done some work as he has history in tree root cutting and stability & i see hes coming down here in May to present at ISA Arb Aus Conference i suspect some of this paper results.

file:///C:/Users/just%20a%20guest/Downloads/p230-236.pdf

http://arboriculture.org.au/Events/...s/Urban-International-and-Australian-Speakers

Tom Smiley Ph.D.
Bartlett Tree Research Laboratories, USA

Title 1: Tree drilling and the spread of decay – a look at decay spread associated with support cable (flexible brace) installation and decay spread associated with drilling to detect decay.

Title 2: Root and stem cutting and its impact on tree stability – looking at individual root removal and linear cut and stem notching to simulate cankers/decay and how it affects stability.

Back