Drive Sprocket Is clicking With new Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregO95

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I have been running my ms291 for about 6 months now, it came with an 18inch bar .325 pitch. ran smoothly and nice every time Ive run it. I'm working for a new company now that requires me to buck larger timber so i swapped out to a 22 inch bar 3/8 pitch. i bought a 3/8 chain and everything seemed jolly good until i ran the chain by hand along the rails to check tension. click, click, click sounds around the drive sprocket. do i need to change the sprocket? its brand new not worn. but I've heard that the sprocket might be at a .325 pitch? i ran the saw and no sparks or concerning vibrations. however the bar got really hot after only a few cuts. (bar is oiling correctly)
Thanks

Need new 3/8 sprocket, have to match sprocket and bar to the chain you're runing.
Thanks! that what i was wondering, Ill order one asap, however I need to run my saw for work tomorrow. Am i at risk of injury running it as is for a couple days? or will i completely screw up my saw.

Sounds like you need to give that saw to somebody who will love it....

If you run that saw with a mismatched sprocket you are an idiot...
Lastly who uses a 290/291 in a professional environment?

But on a serious note you stand a very good chance of throwing the chain every 5 seconds especially if your chain is just ever so slightly loose or even proper tension..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Um... a guy who can't afford a pro line saw?

I don't buy them, I just cut with them. Buying decisions are made at a much higher pay grade than mine.
Ignore the cranky types on the forums. You need to make sure you match the sprocket or spur to the chain pitch as well as the sprocket nose must match pitch. The bar's gauge or groove width must be matched by the chain's gauge... .050" bar must use .050" chain. The gauge is rarely an issue with the nose sprocket as most have .063 gauge teeth which works in almost every application. It's only the lower section of the drive links that are thinned to match the bar's groove.

Back