Dropping a very big tree Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some concerns, that I'd like to hear some cautionary experiences.

Tree is close to 36" dia at the base, near the road, level ground, etc. Good!

But, it is in really moist soil. So moist that I was able push much smaller healthy trees over. In fact there are even larger trees that have fallen in years past, and the roots are huge. Soil encrusted roots span 10' in diameter or maybe larger. I'm on guard thinking that as the tree begins its fall that it will pull the roots out and possible create a dangerous situation. I plan to run like a little chicken from an axe wielding grandma on a Sunday afternoon.

I'm guessing there is 2+ cords of firewood, maybe even 3 cords. Only other question is the quality of the logs within. I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning.

Some people bore cut about everything, I'd say it's best use is for forward leaning trees. I also believe the hinge would go before the thing uproots itself. My concern is if you're not used to using a bore cut and the first time is on a tree that makes you nervous it's not going to be an enjoyable experience. The fact that it's big, makes it even worse.

But, it is in really moist soil. So moist that I was able push much smaller healthy trees over. In fact there are even larger trees that have fallen in years past, and the roots are huge. Soil encrusted roots span 10' in diameter or maybe larger. I'm on guard thinking that as the tree begins its fall that it will pull the roots out and possible create a dangerous situation. I plan to run like a little chicken from an axe wielding grandma on a Sunday afternoon.

I'm guessing there is 2+ cords of firewood, maybe even 3 cords. Only other question is the quality of the logs within. I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning.
Sounds like you are done with it by now. Agree with the bore cut method. I bore cut just about everything. Controlled way to do it. Learned from some chainsaw training I've had. Another good source is youtube "bc felling standard " many good videos with perfect technique.

So what is the question??? o_O

And in MT, there is no such thing as moist soil with the rainfall you get there. :rolleyes: I'd be willing to bet the roots have gone deep to get water unless it's right near a stream.

And be sure you get pics, and video if you can. And don't worry about 'running like a chicken.' That's the wise thing to do.

if you are felling in the direction of the lean, there is compression on that side(in the face cut side). after the face is established the tree will automatically want to lean even more to the leaning direction from the leaning force material being removed! from here on the safest operation method with out seeing the tree would be a bore through the trunk parallel to the face cut leaving a 2" to a 3" hinge. from here on out there is only one direction it will go ("IF" everything is perfect)? the bore cut can be done along with the release of the expansion wood(holding wood) in the same movement "IF" you feel safe enough to let it go ? release can be done from the center out or from the back cut ! heavy into the lean and a back cut is the preferred method I chose while watching the holding material go from new to older/tougher fiber wood! waiting from the bore cut/inside out will at times leave you in a mistrusting feel as the final snap comes in a flash!! in many cases leaving you with a "PUCKERED FEELING AN EXPRESSION SOON NOT TO FORGET"! when in doubt, let someone else figure it out.

Back