Drying Hickory indoors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have hickory cabinets in the laundry room, they don't stink. Where I split my firewood and mill most of my logs, you can smell the Oak 50 feet away. If you took it inside, it would definitely fill the house with the smell of fresh cut Oak. So, whatever you can smell right after milling will follow you inside. If it's aired out enough that you can't smell it up close I doubt if it will run you out, Joe.

I have hickory cabinets in the laundry room, they don't stink. Where I split my firewood and mill most of my logs, you can smell the Oak 50 feet away. If you took it inside, it would definitely fill the house with the smell of fresh cut Oak. So, whatever you can smell right after milling will follow you inside. If it's aired out enough that you can't smell it up close I doubt if it will run you out, Joe.
Thanks. I wasn't worried about once dry, just while green. We'll see how it is after milling.

Don't pay any attention to me. Sometimes my attempts at being funny are a flop. I milled some Hickory a couple years ago, it was green, and I don't remember it having as strong of a smell as fresh cut Oak. I'd leave it outside for a couple weeks and then move it in. Even the Oak airs out pretty good after a couple weeks. I gave the Hickory to a friend and he made banisters and balusters for his steps. He did all of the planing and turning inside and had no problem with smell, but by then they were pretty dry, Joe.

It is a shame that aromas of the natural world have become odors and artificial perfumes are more desired by the duped masses

I started to say, Stink? I love the smell of most Oaks. But, some trees, have that distinct horse urine smell. So, as much as I love the smell of fresh cut, milled wood, my wife may disagree. We have big dogs, but, I don't want to be sleeping with them because I made the house smell like a barn, Joe.

I have 2 cords of firewood for bundles in the shop that I dumped in there Thursday. Everyone that comes in keeps saying it smells so good... the shop smells like diesel, 2 stroke, stove smoke and wood.
I can't smell any of it.

Back