Drying Honey Locust...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenndatomu

Hey you woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!
Reaction score
I just took down 3 "Sunburst" Honey Locust trees. Fortunately, they were a type of hybrid thorn-less landscape trees. I found this variant on BTU charts (seems 'bout the same as other locust) but I couldn't find anything on how long it's gonna take to get this stuff to firebox ready moisture levels. Anybody mess with these before, I plan on getting CSS as soon as the latest "polar vortex" goes away. Any other relevant advise...?

I took one out last year for a guy in town. I will let you know next year. I am on a 2 year rotation with my wood. Its nice to have enough wood to let it age for 2 years before burning. I am liking my Oak a lot more by letting it sit this long. I thought it was good at 12 months, but I now know I was mistaken!

It'll burn right now half ass decent. If you live where its "really cold" the moisture will freeze out of the wood in 2 or 3 weeks on 10 or below weather and make it decent. Give it a couple months if you split it and you'll probably get 80% efficiency out of it. I don't like to burn it because my are NOT hybrid and have a good god gaggle of thorns and if i'm going to get poked, i'm gonna use hedge.

I just took down 3 "Sunburst" Honey Locust trees. Fortunately, they were a type of hybrid thorn-less landscape trees. I found this variant on BTU charts (seems 'bout the same as other locust) but I couldn't find anything on how long it's gonna take to get this stuff to firebox ready moisture levels. Anybody mess with these before, I plan on getting CSS as soon as the latest "polar vortex" goes away. Any other relevant advise...?

I planted a row of them around 30 years ago. One of them reverted to type and sprung the thornes after about 20 years. It didn't survive the day I saw them.

Harry K

i took one down for my neighbor several years ago and other than tought to split crotches (we've all had some of those:rolleyes:) it dried well and burnt good after about a year.i just found a piece in the ugly pile and split it up and threw it in the stove.not quite as good as black locust but close.

Thornless burns great. I picked up 3 cords in July (hottest damn day of the year.) I'm planning on burning it in 15/16 season. being locust, it can sit for a long time before it rots. I'm burning some now that has been on the ground for 9 years...still solid minimal rot/ants around the edge.

Jeff

2-3 years stacked off the ground. Powder bugs get to it bad here, so I usually pass on it. But I did just cut three large ones because they were hanging over my shop.

Great, good info guys, thanks! Sounds like I'll just put it into the 2-3 year rotation like everything else...probably some of the heaviest wood (well, in the winter anyways) I've ever cut, gonna be interesting to see how it burns!

I planted a row of them around 30 years ago. One of them reverted to type and sprung the thornes after about 20 years. It didn't survive the day I saw them.

Harry K
Yeah, these trees had some sucker lookin sprouts on 'em, I was wondering if given a lil more time if these wouldn't turn to malformed thorns. The trees (3 of 'em) range from 10 - 15" DBH. Maybe 20 years old?

We had a very large one taken out and it darn near heated our house for the winter. I let it dry for the year.

Honey Locust are probably the hottest burning trees in my area, and as previously mentioned, you can burn them immediately after cutting. I've cleared areas on my ranch and noticed that a brush pile containing some of these trees will catch up hot - hot - hot - and burn completely down within the day.

I'm burning one that came down in hurr. Sandy that was just under 60 inches at the base. It burns great and I don't see any need for it to dry longer. Fairly large splits don't sizzle at all. I've been mixing honey locust white oak and cherry together and it puts out awesome amounts of heat for a lot of hours.

In Ohio count on 3 years before it is properly dry.

It's a low moisture wood but takes a long time to dry to the middle and to loose deep fibre moisture.
It will burn as green wood but nothing like properly dry will.
Burning it green will lower the btu to about 1/2 and create about 5x creosote.

Stack and wait and it will easily out heat the best white oak or hickory.
It will still be pretty much as heavy as it is now in 3 years and look like little happened to the wood but the fire will tell a different story.
When it's brutal cold out reach for your dried locust and stay real warm inside.

Stack and wait and it will easily out heat the best white oak or hickory.
When it's brutal cold out reach for your dried locust and stay real warm inside.
If it will out heat Hickory, then I'm excited to try it. I'm 99% out of my Shaggy Hickory, :( love that stuff! But the white Oak that I'm starting into has been a disappointment. I mean, it's fine, but the Hickory was a good bit better, heck, I think the red Oak I had last year was better. Been drying the white Oak 3 years, saving it for a real cold Jan, well here we are, and wauhn wauhn wauhhh, not impressed!
Hope the Locust doesn't leave me out in the cold 'round Jan. '17! ;)

brenndatomu,

I hear lots of people say they are not impressed with white oak and I think the reason is it's one of those woods that likes air changes as the coals grow and quantity of wood burning changes.
I always burn white oak when I'm around to fiddle a bit with air settings, unattended white oak I agree isn't the best, attended white oak is real nice.
Red oak is much more user friendly.

The btu level of honey locust is about the same as shagbark but IMO locust is a wonderful firewood a bit better than shagbark, locust creates a firebox full of red hot burning coals and throws out heat like little else.
I'm sure once you start burning locust it will be #1 on the scrounge list :)

If you are burning white oak now and have a day when your around the stove try the air settings a bit, check in every hour or so and get the rolling blue flame fire going again with a little more or less air and I'm sure you find it a much better heat producing firewood.
Not to much you can do at night but pick an average air setting and hope for the best with white oak.

Let me know how it goes with your white oak air fiddling because I think we have a couple different white oak species here so it might be a local thing only.

I'm burning black locust and rock elm now and with the cold and 100 mile hr wind it's needed tonight LOL

I'm using it in my Yukon furnace now, maybe a lil bit in the stove this weekend. I'll have to play around with it a bit. Sounds like a good wood to use in an "autopilot" burner like the Kuuma Vaporfire or one of the gasification boilers that use O2/temp sensors. Thanks woody!

Back