Dual headed Chainsaw Mill (repost)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is a repost of my previous post as the pictures were lost in the big crash.

Mill1.jpg

The power heads are Makita 6401's with 84 cc Big bore kits and opened up mufflers. My friend Jeremy is at the controls.

Features of the Mill are: guide shoes that ride on the ladder rails, dual remote throttles with a magnetic latch in the full on position, and a winch with an adjustable elevation to keep from bending over. An aluminum ladder is required to guide the mill.

Mill2.jpg

mill3.jpg

Attachments

• Mill1.jpg
    Mill1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Mill2.jpg
    Mill2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 20
I'm using WoodlandPro 33RP ripping chain 3/8" .063 guage.
Finish full size
Finish1.jpg

Finish close up
Finish2.jpg

Thanks for the repost. We can all drool over that piece of equipment.

How much do you think the parts cost, excluding the saws?

/edit - do you have a set of plans? I'd like to be able to put my dual 660's to work.

Thanks

I didn't keep a running cost of the parts. The 80/20 rails and the 50" double ended bar were the most costly parts.

I don't have any plans, I may have to AutoCAD It.

My next project is to modify the mill to be able to use one power head for smaller logs. It needs to have a roller for the end of the bar and an axillary bar oiler. I plan to have the oiler controlled with the remote throttle lever (an on/off valve and a flow control valve). Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
As I see it, to mass produce something like this would be too expensive for the majority of user's. There's a lot of labor involved and some of the construction is specific to one saw brand and model. I've thought about building these in a limited quantity but in my shop (my garage) I couldn't make it worth my while. Also I would need access to all the popular power heads to design a universal mounting system, which I don't have.

Last edited:
You must have a good collection of metal working tools to make all this. VERY impressive and the craftsmanship is top notch. What is the capacity on the mill? width and depth.

Thank you for reposting and getting pictures back up.

Beefie

This is a repost of my previous post as the pictures were lost in the big crash.

View attachment 323677

The power heads are Makita 6401's with 84 cc Big bore kits and opened up mufflers. My friend Jeremy is at the controls.

Features of the Mill are: guide shoes that ride on the ladder rails, dual remote throttles with a magnetic latch in the full on position, and a winch with an adjustable elevation to keep from bending over. An aluminum ladder is required to guide the mill.

View attachment 323678

View attachment 323683

Nice mill works great congratulations :rock:

Beefie,

Thanks,
Yes, I have a well equipped shop. Over the years I have continued to acquire tools. I'm 65. I remember reading my dad's "Popular Mechanics" magazines when I was young and always wanted the machines as seen in the magazines to build things. Back then the magazines had articles on the use of lathes and mills and construction projects. I use my tools for hobby projects and friends projects. This will keep me busy when I retire.

The capacity of the mill is 35" width by 20" thick with a 50" double ended bar. I have a 66" double ended bar to increase the capacity but I have yet to need it, thus have not used it.

Phil

Very impressive Phil. I was a machinist for 12 years. I no what its like to have the tools and tooling to make what you want when you want to. Some day I will have a mill and a lathe along with the assorted tooling.

Beefie

Latest posts

Back