Dumb chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Do any of you think there would be an advantage to adding 3 or 4 skip sections to a full comp chain? I know there is skip and semi skip available but was just wondering if a chain with fewer skips would be at all beneficial.
Please exuse me in advance if this is too dumb to consider.

It would be my uneducated and informal opinion that adding skip sections, not in small enough sequences, would make for a chain that is not smooth cutting and jerky. If full comp chain is too much, and full skip not enough, then semi skip is a suitable compromise.

I was cleaning the left over chain boxes and started playing around making chain one day.I made an 84 driver 3/8's chain from 4 seperate parts two skip and 2 full house it was neat but there were no gains.

I think it would depend on the size of the saw and bar. If the saw is having trouble pulling full comp (long bar/small motor), maybe skip would help. If the saw is pulling full comp good, that setup should be faster.

Back