Dynasorb Rigging line??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 5/8, over here its called polydyne, exactly the same rope.

For repetitive dynamic loading/negative blocking, the stats are far superior to the likes of Double Esterlon and Portland braid. From what I recall the cycles-to-failure favoured the dynasorb by a mile. Other than that I cant see what to gain i.e static loading, those impressive stats wouldn't really come in to play.
attachment.php

Reg, I just gotta tell you this just to tell you this cause it sure is amazing... at least I think so.
I know an old one legged man that could lower twice that weight as what you are sending with an old bollard and a knicked up 16 strand climbing line. And I am not saying just cause he could he should but that is how we did there and there is no argueing with an old one legged man. I am sure you can figure out where his other leg ended up.

I ended up breaking that line when I stuck in one of those steel CMI blocks as a second pulley to redirect a mammoth ash top I was sending out over an above ground pool. I knew the knicks in the rope would catch the side of the steel pulley at that angle but frankly, I was getting sick of that dam rope and resenting have to worry about it I rigged it up and sent it out.
The limb just missed the pool and we got a brand new 16 strand the next day but they didn't fix the half torn bollard strap til after they let me go at the end of the season.
But trust me when i tell you I never seen anybody arc em to the ground scoring a perfect ten everytime using a 16 strand and an bent up antique bollard like that old one legged man... well I am pretty sure I could:laugh: but I wouldn't:msp_rolleyes:
Jeez, by the time you got just one of your pulleys set the old one legged man's quietly psychotic brother would be barking " What's taking you so long?!"
Working there I quickly adopted the philosophy of " once I get it on the pulley its your problem, have fun, I know I am"
And when it came to using the weird ass Italian articulating crane they had I really had to put my foot down, I said " I think you have the wrong guy, I don't have the stomach for this ####".

Going back maybe 8 or 9 years when they took me on they asked me how much I thought I was worth. I asked what they paid their top rate climber, they said " 23 with full benfits". I asked for 26 and told them I didn't need benfits and I got it. Some of the other climbers made fun of me ( not loudly though) cause I could get to the top of tree pretty nicely without a set of spikes which came in handy from time to time so they kept me around for a little bit.

hey! Where is the " toot your own horn" smiley?

Last edited:
I'm sure the two pulley deal works sweet... that's alot of extra rigging though.. especially with a big saw hanging off ya!

But, I guess if you're trying to peddle your wares (dual bollard), I can see the point..

Oh good, this is an older thread!

Is there any info on the Dynasorb?

I actually searched here to see if i could find a wll or ts, because for "some reason" its not listed on sherrill.com

I wonder why :msp_ohmy:

please sum update!

It is on there site, go under rigging ropes it's in there. Just got 200' of the 1/2" orange dynasorb for smaller rigging operations. As well as a bucket cover, and a few other small items. I am down in Florida on vacation, ordered it right to my resort-Orange Lake Resort. Kissimmee. Free shipping, no border fees! love it! I bought the 5/8 last fall, it's good. Have been using the 3/4" as well for the last year. I like working with it.

I'm sure the two pulley deal works sweet... that's alot of extra rigging though.. especially with a big saw hanging off ya!

But, I guess if you're trying to peddle your wares (dual bollard), I can see the point..
The photo is actually taken from a real job....its not a promo set-up or anything like that.

Probably about 500kg beech, so maybe 2500kg impacts on the slings. Sure you can do that to a single line, but how many times? When I'm hired as a contract climber it is my insurance if there's a mishap, and from my pocket when the rigging hardware is shot....so I look after my gear and cover my back at the same time.

When something goes wrong you'd do anything to go back in time and do it differently, but it's not happening.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dano, I'd love somebody to bark up at me "whats taken so long?"....

Reg, being tied into that sattelite tree behind you there gives you a great degree of comfort for double rigging those spars. I bet you almost feel spoiled for that particular setup. Nice work man.

I like how you bevelled the sharp edges of your previous cuts too. Lots of little details like that make the difference, so you don't have to wish you could go "back in time".

Reg, being tied into that sattelite tree behind you there gives you a great degree of comfort for double rigging those spars. I bet you almost feel spoiled for that particular setup. Nice work man.

I like how you bevelled the sharp edges of your previous cuts too. Lots of little details like that make the difference, so you don't have to wish you could go "back in time".

I noticed the beveled cuts too. Where did they get this guy?:hmm3grin2orange:

I noticed the beveled cuts too. Where did they get this guy?:hmm3grin2orange:

Okay, I gotta admit, I'm lost as to what you two are seeing here??

On that cut, I would've probably gone a third or so smaller (maybe, hard to tell from a pic), used one pulley and a 3/4" line.. seems like it would be equally as fast and safe, without all the extra rigging, if not faster. But what do I know..

Not that I'm dissing your work Reg, I've always been impressed with it actually. just making conversation here is all.

Edit: okay, I see the beveled cut now. Laptop not so good for seeing that.. the rest still stands though!

Last edited:
Okay, I gotta admit, I'm lost as to what you two are seeing here??

On that cut, I would've probably gone a third or so smaller (maybe, hard to tell from a pic), used one pulley and a 3/4" line.. seems like it would be equally as fast and safe, without all the extra rigging, if not faster. But what do I know..

Not that I'm dissing your work Reg, I've always been impressed with it actually. just making conversation here is all.

Edit: okay, I see the beveled cut now. Laptop not so good for seeing that.. the rest still stands though!

I wonder if when Reg chimes in here he'll tell you that the cycles to failure is much more and shock load is much less on the double 5/8" system and using smaller hardware and lines sets up about the same as a single 3/4" setup when you figure energy spent lugging the bigger stuff around, just a thought.

I would say that as far as equipment is concerned, spreading the load out on the knots and all the pieces involved that the wear would be much less in the double rope system.

newreply.php

It's just treework dude.. lets not make too much out of it!

Well aware of shockloads and how to cut trees fyi..

No great big piece here or anything, but just reminding you I've done this before..

I am aware, but have you used a double line system like Reg is doing. I know I haven't for negative rigging, but would like to know his thoughts and experience with it because I know he has used both.

I think that what he is doing also stems from the Dual bollard device he built. Which the concept I am sure was developed to achieve the less wear and tear on equipment, spreading loads and friction out, while achieving a much higher working load limit on his device. I know the piece is the bomb for tip and butt tieing large limbs because I have built one myself.

I would like to hear his thoughts is all MDS, I know you been to the school of hard knocks and know how to play your game fine, not questioning that.

Last edited:
I am aware, but have you used a double line system like Reg is doing. I know I haven't for negative rigging, but would like to know his thoughts and experience with it because I know he has used both.

I think that what he is doing also stems from the Dual bollard device he built. Which the concept I am sure was developed to achieve the less wear and tear on equipment, spreading loads and friction out, while achieving a much higher working load limit on his device. I know the piece is the bomb for tip and butt tieing large limbs because I have built one myself.

I would like to hear his thoughts is all MDS, I know you been to the school of hard knocks and know how to play your game fine, not questioning that.

Thanks nails.

Dual bollard is on my wish list someday actually. Just for leaders though, not what Reg's got goin on there.. hell, I only work 8 months a year or so, there's not enough time for all that! Again, just making conversation is all.. :laugh:

newreply.php

No great big piece here or anything, but just reminding you I've done this before..

No, we dont need a big technical discussion. Just assume the double roping does come in useful now and then i.e. if you have to stop a large, dense log quite abruptly. Some examples towards the end of this video: YouTube - ‪Hobbs and Stein Tree Lowering devices, Blocking‬‏ , otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time with it.

It takes all sorts Dano....and look who's talking!

Who, Me?
Nah, we love ya Reg... both of us.

Anyway, I came up with a nickname for Reg today. Norm Abrams -from the New Yankee Workshop. You know that guy who is always cranking out those nice peices of furniture using all those intricate cuts and weird neato stuff you have never thought to do.
The guy's shop and all his tools are always so clean and precise looking and you wonder why your belt sander looks like you sanded a battleship with it and everytime you try to rip a board on your table saw it starts a fire.

newreply.php

I always got pissed at people who said " its just treework". But ever since all them doctors fixed me I don't get pissed anymore.

By doing "just" treework Reg is expressing himself in ways most guys only dream about... including me. It even might be true to say the guy has never " worked" a day in his life.

Hell, most times when I start to set up an intricate rigging system everybody down there starts whinning and resisting which is no help at all.

And that is why you started your business MDS, same as me, to express yourself. Just tree work? :msp_ohmy: Ya feel me?

That is one of my problems with a lot of these certified arborist. It seemed to me they were only expressing someone else other than themselves and I hate that.

Last edited:
Love the Dynasorb for big drops

We've got 200' (okay, you got me, now it's 170', damn groundies) and we have put it through it's paces. Yeah, it's stretchy, you have to be ready for that, but it sure is nice when the guy on the ground's worried about controlling the piece so he has one too many wraps on.
Once you're close to the bottom (house, garage, little kitty graveyard, you know what I mean) switch out to static line or if your lucky enough, pretension the line using the GRCS or the lever on the Stein.

I have to admit that it was watching this video that convinced me.

Latest posts

Back