EAB reaches Wisconsin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to a Arborjet seminar yesterday and it was quite a well planned production. It is supposed to now give nearly 100% protection for 2 years and tests are supposed to show 3 years residual in future data we are told.

Plenty of pictures showing their product results (thriving), other's stuff (half dead) and no product (dead) in infest. areas.

Couple of things to note. They have a monopoly on EmBen and it appears that the delivery system is the weak link in the treatment. The hole appears to be at least 2 or 3 times the dia. of Mauget and at least twice as deep. Little time for questions on die back of xylem and its significance although they have patented answers for everything. This answer is "look at sugar maple tapping and how trees survive that". Not really a fair comparison as they are in an ideal environment in the forest.

Question: "What about having to continue treatments forever?" Answer.....When the heaviest wave of pressure passes through the treatment schedule can relax a bit. (how much? til they die?)

It all seems very polished and maybe it IS the answer compared to just letting them die as other chems. do not test as well and a little infestation by EAB is kinda like being a little pregnant.

The equipment is quite expensive as are the chems.....$525 plus per liter. Equipment can cost as much $3,000. plus for top end and as little as $400. for entry level. But you cannot help but picture yourself turning blue in the face squeezing the handle trying to get the xylem to take the issuance with the cheapy set up.

I am seriously considering it. Could be very profitable.

Best scenario IMO......Mauget gets the rights with their system to sell the EmBen.

How long to pattents last? 20 years??? This is a very new chemical, and I don't think ArborJet wants to break their deal with Syngenta, so I'd be surprised to see somebody else pick it up anytime soon. It is also a little high dosage for "typical" Maujet delivery systems (I think).

Regarding ArborJet's delivery, I have only used it a couple of times, but it is definately a weak link. The Quick-Jet is not too quick, and you do squeeze hard to get it out. The Tree IV is even slower. Maybe spring up-take will be quicker?

How long to pattents last? 20 years??? This is a very new chemical, and I don't think ArborJet wants to break their deal with Syngenta, so I'd be surprised to see somebody else pick it up anytime soon. It is also a little high dosage for "typical" Maujet delivery systems (I think).

Regarding ArborJet's delivery, I have only used it a couple of times, but it is definately a weak link. The Quick-Jet is not too quick, and you do squeeze hard to get it out. The Tree IV is even slower. Maybe spring up-take will be quicker?

I certainly do not want to start a false rumor but.......isn't EmBen originated/formulated in China.....the same place that sent us this devastating bug? Seemingly extremely insidious connotations if this is the case. Have never heard this from anyone but my mind works like that.

Also, is anyone investigating, now that it has become licensed and legalized what the significance of this chem. is if persisting in the landscape? It has a 2 year residual and is claimed by distributors to eventually have a 4 year or more residual and what if, say, the tree dies from abiotic causes such as construction, end of life span, or just needs to be removed for a parking lot, etc. etc.? The wood is chipped up and used for mulch ofcourse? What then? You can only inject this chem. for a reason ya know.

I love a good dilemma or mystery or sinister situation to dwell on.

When first reading your post ATH, I thought it said "HOW LONG DO PATIENTS LAST?" and my first thought after that was all the dieback unexplained in some of the photos in the seminar and lack of xylem and blockage of access to stored carbs and what will they be like in "20 years" after multiple injection sites cause all this discolored (dead) tissue. Almost all of the photos they show are brand spanking new holes with no infection possible yet.

I also think it is a little high dosage for Mauget too but mass caps might handle this and this might be better than those huge holes. In the demo they take a 15" by 10" dia log (this case Boxelder....a strong conducter) to the demo site outside and drill an injection hole. Next they fit the cap in the hole that has a membrane.... and it also blocks escape of the miracle elixir. Next a small hypodermic needle is injected into the cap to break the membrane and it carries the liquid thru a pressurized line. If you were to just go by pictures you (and I have) might think that just the small hypodermic needle was the only wound caused (again really polished marketing).

In the demo they are using water which is a much thinner viscosity than the product and presto.....you see it shoot out both ends of the log (thru the xylem) like magic. Picture the crowd with little cartoon bubbles over their heads and in them the quotes "Wow that is incredibly easy.....got to get me some of that stuff and become rich".

But who is really getting rich....the mfctrs. and the distributors and, as usual, the "not real bright average run of the mill tree guy like me and you" are duped again into being the means to an end for vacations on beaches for others.:chainsaw:yeeehaw

Last edited:
ATH , the uptake will get better in the spring. There are little things you'll find that will help as you go. I have been using treeage for the last two seasons with very good results. It's very clear around here it's a do or die process. I have taken down many trees where other products have been tried. Pro-active is best.

ATH , the uptake will get better in the spring. There are little things you'll find that will help as you go. I have been using treeage for the last two seasons with very good results. It's very clear around here it's a do or die process. I have taken down many trees where other products have been tried. Pro-active is best.

Which applicator of Arborjet are you using Treeman?

I wonder if the highest dollar unit with compressed air is much faster?

I would be suspicious of xylem damage and maybe even cambium damage from displaced pressure that is also not entirely blocked by the plug.

I am on the verge of buying one of the systems. Has anyone noticed any calls from the website that links potential clients to Treeage users through the "contact us" button?

TreeVet,
I have used the I.V. kit and have found that proper plug insertion is critical. It's very easy to over pressure the system if your plug is not correct. I have considered the hydrolic kit also and had the same concern. At the price of the chemical, I prefered the I.V. system.

TreeVet,
I have used the I.V. kit and have found that proper plug insertion is critical. It's very easy to over pressure the system if your plug is not correct. I have considered the hydrolic kit also and had the same concern. At the price of the chemical, I prefered the I.V. system.

Thanks Treeman.

TreeVet,
Please let me include that the plugs work good but must be used correctly. The plugs do "disappear" after 2-3 years as they may have stated.The other products they handle have worked well also.

TreeVet,
Please let me include that the plugs work good but must be used correctly. The plugs do "disappear" after 2-3 years as they may have stated.The other products they handle have worked well also.

They were pretty good at explaining and showing the plug importance at the seminar. The noise of the hammer banging "changes" when they are in all the way. I brought home a dvd but have not looked at it yet. I dropped it on the floor and hope it is ok.

What stage of infestation are you in in your area of operation? Do you see them flying around during fly period? Are trees dieing all around you?

We have a confirmed infestation about 6 miles from us and lots of ashes are iffy. My town decided to soil drench which IMHO is a waste of taxpayer's money. Easy to look like a good investment when no bugs around yet.

We are at maxium exsposure. EAB was confirmed here in 2003 ? We are at 60-70% dead and gone. Almost all that are not treated will be gone in 2 years. The trees not treated with treeage can have resistance to EAB and it will buy some time. The pest will choose untreated trees at first but...

BTW flying around is not something you might noitce that much if ever. Exit wounds and suckering is the clearist signs. The plug will shoulder itself when set fully causing the difference in the hammering sound .

Treeman, are there still some genetically superior big ash standing in defiance of the bugs with no damage like some elms do or if they are not treated then they die? I think it is 99 per cent dead in Toledo (may have city wrong) and in the eipicenter in Mich. (point of origen).

Was the removal aspect profitable like a hurricane would be? Don't hear much about this from anyone.

I bought a bc2000 last year just for eab removals predominantly. Hope it will pay off. Nobody around here is treating anything. Like you maybe they will when they see and hear it is in town. I have visited a few heavy infestations.

Please keep this thread posted with anything and everything you learn.

Thanks

There is something to be said about the rare genetic tree. I have one remaining that I have been watching that has just started to die with 40 dead for 4 years around it. Believe me any Ash trees around you will be dead. No one should expect they have the lucky tree. The Toledo area probaly has pockets of strugglers still around. They are probaly at a 80-90 % status.News reports sometimes state that all Ash trees are gone here. What can you say ? Yet theres not much time left locally.

Wonder if it would be profitable to follow the wave around like hurricanes? Esp into high income res. areas and universities and such. An opportunist is not always a bad connotation. Very few people into the real deal that is Treeage.

It's something to consider, even the removal side of that is to be considered. The economy has such a hold on things now days. I noitce your feeling a early season slowdown over on your crane postings. Thats a very good thread. Very good info coming in too. I will post pics a little later of a removal we did about two weeks ago using a sub 110' 34k . It's a front mount w/spider pads . Great unit . We have ground padding , the 120' 47"dbh Oak came out very well.

Latest posts

Back