EAB reaches Wisconsin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have only one lab here in the US doing this in Brighton Mi. Theres been talk for years now but no release that I know of. The thought of too many oversized woodpeckers iswhat concerns me.

Do you mean from going after the wasps or the borers? Seems like this wasp, and I don't think they sting, would not become an invasive or nuisance?

And if you released them out of packaging you bought you would have to establish a home for them somehow to detect them bringing the dinner (eab) home? But this all may be do-able.:popcorn:

The woodpeckers are eating the borers. They thrive and could cause an imbalance. They can become pest also.
The wasp will be able to migrate without problems to the eco-system it seems. They are probaly too little too late. But we can always hope for the best. Eab is very powerful.

The woodpeckers are eating the borers. They thrive and could cause an imbalance. They can become pest also.
The wasp will be able to migrate without problems to the eco-system it seems. They are probaly too little too late. But we can always hope for the best. Eab is very powerful.

Yeah I agree with all that but the neat part of the art. involves taking the wasps to an area to DETECT the presence of eab which here to date has been rather clumsy.

Treeman, what do ya think about these guys that are selling the treatments with a 100% guarantee for 2 to 4 years? They sell them in the dormant season and how do they (along with anyone else selling treatments) cannot possibly know the vitality of the tree and its ability to translocate when looking at a dormant tree.

Has to be unethical in this respect, don't you agree?

They have only one lab here in the US doing this in Brighton Mi. Theres been talk for years now but no release that I know of. The thought of too many oversized woodpeckers iswhat concerns me.
The USDA-APHIS has been releasing 3 different species for 2 or 3 years in MI and OH. Here is one article from USDA indroducing the players.

I heard a talk a year and half ago by one of the lead researchers (out of Maine? or somewhere in the Northeast...). She didn't think any of them could 'catch up' with EAB...

Yesterday read that Dan Herms got a grant from the ISA to work on an Asian ash cultivar. Seems like eradication has taken a back seat. Polute the ground water, drill huge holes in the trunk, fill the air with predators that cannot possibly stem the tide......pipe dreams.

But yet theres only the one center breeding these. If it wae thought to be really effective they would have these little guys on overdrive ! lol

The reality is the "grant" money, as long as it's out there people will be "willing" to research EAB, or any other invasive. Stopping invasives is not practical. The idea of resistant cultivars is probably the best way to go...

The reality is the "grant" money, as long as it's out there people will be "willing" to research EAB, or any other invasive. Stopping invasives is not practical. The idea of resistant cultivars is probably the best way to go...

Unfortunately I think often the money for grants for research on pesticides comes from the mfctrs. I have even read this from the mfctr's. mouth.

I think the cultivars are being developed with ash that have the strongest resistance to eab here along with the Asians.

It would be nice to inject something that would change genetics... but even those stronger trees don't last. Starving the borer out will be the only end. I hope threres never a secondary target for them .

It would be nice to inject something that would change genetics... but even those stronger trees don't last. Starving the borer out will be the only end. I hope threres never a secondary target for them .

That is what happened with gypsy moth. They ate anything and everything after their favorite meals were gone.:popcorn:

Just received a reply from 2 lead researchers at Ohio State I have email contact with and they are both excited about this process.

One of them has a daughter that is monitoring a colony ( parasitic wasps) of them in an area where eab has not yet been detected for a HS project.

Glad to see some real cool thinking is going on around us.

They watch the wasp leave then they can time its return with eab and by timing it they can tell where/how far away .....the infestation is or is beginning by knowing the distance they can cover in a given amount of time. :clap:

Last edited:
Very interesting ! They need to get with it as soon as possible. But they better know the traits of the wasp, what a problem that might be. Ihope it's this easy.

I have one tree that I have treated and have saved it from EAB. Is this tree now safe? (e.g. since the EAB has ate all the other trees, is EAB now no longer in the area?) I am in SE Michigan.

I have one tree that I have treated and have saved it from EAB. Is this tree now safe? (e.g. since the EAB has ate all the other trees, is EAB now no longer in the area?) I am in SE Michigan.

I think that is the hundred thousand dollar question. All these entities that are treating their trees have bought into the premise that after the wave passes they will be able to reduce or discontinue treatment and thus end or diminish expenditures.

Plenty of sucker trees that are gonna spring up as epicormics to allow the species (eab) to endure.

Also you have to worry just how well you have "saved" your tree and if some of the hits (none of these treatments are perfect) compromise the future of your tree. If your treatment was Tree Age then you have to wonder about the dieback in the vascular system and the cambium and what this means in the short run.

I think that is the hundred thousand dollar question. All these entities that are treating their trees have bought into the premise that after the wave passes they will be able to reduce or discontinue treatment and thus end or diminish expenditures.

Plenty of sucker trees that are gonna spring up as epicormics to allow the species (eab) to endure.

Also you have to worry just how well you have "saved" your tree and if some of the hits (none of these treatments are perfect) compromise the future of your tree. If your treatment was Tree Age then you have to wonder about the dieback in the vascular system and the cambium and what this means in the short run.

We used http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/Tree-Shrub-Insect-Control/concentrate.html and seems to have been effective. This tree is in a good location to the house.

The reason I was asking,

1) Do I just assume that EAB will ultimately kill this tree, so cut it down and replace it, or
2) Keep treatment and save the tree, risking that the treatment might have bad side effects and kill the tree, or
3) Stop the treatment as the threat is gone.

I think you have ruled out #3, as I do still see suckers growing out of the "dead" EAB infected trees.

Back