EAB reaches Wisconsin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/Tree-Shrub-Insect-Control/concentrate.html and seems to have been effective. This tree is in a good location to the house.

The reason I was asking,

1) Do I just assume that EAB will ultimately kill this tree, so cut it down and replace it, or
2) Keep treatment and save the tree, risking that the treatment might have bad side effects and kill the tree, or
3) Stop the treatment as the threat is gone.

I think you have ruled out #3, as I do still see suckers growing out of the "dead" EAB infected trees.

It is just a decision you will have to ultimately make on your own. That homeowner's Bayer product is a lower dosage (allowing some insect damage) and you may have a genetically superior ash to still be alive in the midst of all the dead ones. But as the tree ages and increases in size the efficacy wanes.

It may be in your interest to get as many days and months and possibly years as you can and if this is the case you are doing just fine. It can be removed just as easily once it dies as it can be preemptively.

As for allelopathy or the harming of your tree by these chemicals ....it is unlikely as much research has been done on this (Immidacloprid).

It is just a decision you will have to ultimately make on your own. That homeowner's Bayer product is a lower dosage (allowing some insect damage) and you may have a genetically superior ash to still be alive in the midst of all the dead ones. But as the tree ages and increases in size the efficacy wanes.

It may be in your interest to get as many days and months and possibly years as you can and if this is the case you are doing just fine. It can be removed just as easily once it dies as it can be preemptively.

As for allelopathy or the harming of your tree by these chemicals ....it is unlikely as much research has been done on this (Immidacloprid).

Thanks for the information. Most of the ash here dies off about 5 years ago, we have been treating this one about that long. It's a nice tree and I would hate to loose it, hence the reason for the question.

Thanks for the information. Most of the ash here dies off about 5 years ago, we have been treating this one about that long. It's a nice tree and I would hate to loose it, hence the reason for the question.

Good luck. It is nice that you care so much about it. Don't forget other considerations such as pruning, mulching, watering , etc.

Keep us posted about your success with it and how about a summer picture?

Good luck. It is nice that you care so much about it. Don't forget other considerations such as pruning, mulching, watering , etc.

Keep us posted about your success with it and how about a summer picture?

I just trimmed a few of the lower branches as they were starting to get into the wires. We take pretty good care of this tree due to its' location. It's pretty neat to look back, the 2' maples that are in the foreground of the first picture are now over 30' tall. It also looks like the Ash has doubled in diameter.

Summer 2000
House_02.jpg

From Fall 2008
House_03.jpg

Techman, I sure hope the tree stays well. I have seen a few here near Flint that made it quite a while but... TreeAge will be there when the time comes.The Bayer treatments have helped the borer avoid you for now.Keep in mind one Treeage app. will protect atleast 3 years and treating before infestation prevents vascular damage. Very nice place there too.

That would be a tough one to lose. Nice property Techman.

Thanks. We have a lot of trees, but this one is great for the house.

Techman, I sure hope the tree stays well. I have seen a few here near Flint that made it quite a while but... TreeAge will be there when the time comes.The Bayer treatments have helped the borer avoid you for now.Keep in mind one Treeage app. will protect atleast 3 years and treating before infestation prevents vascular damage. Very nice place there too.

Thanks. I will check out the TreeAge, we have used the Bayer product yearly since 2000. We are keeping our hopes up.

I trimmed up the lower branches the other day, I normally just paint them to seal off the cut. Do you have a better recommendation?

Thanks. I will check out the TreeAge, we have used the Bayer product yearly since 2000. We are keeping our hopes up.

I may have said this before....but the efficacy of this product will diminish with increase in size of your tree (inevitable). And this is half the content (Immidacloprid) allowed in other products that are not directed to homeowner use.

I trimmed up the lower branches the other day, I normally just paint them to seal off the cut. Do you have a better recommendation?

Don't cut the branch collar. Do not use tree paint. It is a negative treatment.

Considering it's survived this long w/bayer, I doubt you need to worry about infestation now. Keep treating w/Bayer. I just got pricing on Tree-age for '10 its $535 a quart. You also would need one of the arbor jet systems($550 to $1,200) to inject it. If you had a co. inject it, it would run about $275 (good for a least a couple years). Seems like alot of money for one tree, Considering how well the bayer seems to have worked, if its not broke don't fix it.

Considering it's survived this long w/bayer, I doubt you need to worry about infestation now. Keep treating w/Bayer. I just got pricing on Tree-age for '10 its $535 a quart. You also would need one of the arbor jet systems($550 to $1,200) to inject it. If you had a co. inject it, it would run about $275 (good for a least a couple years). Seems like alot of money for one tree, Considering how well the bayer seems to have worked, if its not broke don't fix it.

I have been trying to make myself shut up about this but we can't agree on everything and IMHO I think as this tree is a good size specimen and healthy and growing larger all the time...

I would advise going with the double strength (Immid.) Xytec that is not nearly as expensive as a Treeage treatment but certainly much more dependable than the Homeowner's drench. It should not cost probably a third of the EmBen treatment from a private contractor.

I have been trying to make myself shut up about this but we can't agree on everything...

Good Lord, I depend on others opinions and input here. You guys NEVER have to worry about me being upset by well thought out or well intentioned opinions that differ from mine. I look to yours and "Treeseer's","S Mc", and others input on ALOT of topics. Besides trying to help others out, I come here to learn. For goodness sake keep up the good work!

Good Lord, I depend on others opinions and input here. You guys NEVER have to worry about me being upset by well thought out or well intentioned opinions that differ from mine. I look to yours and "Treeseer's","S Mc", and others input on ALOT of topics. Besides trying to help others out, I come here to learn. For goodness sake keep up the good work!

I am with you a hundred percent Urban Forester. :cheers:

Today we were heading out to work in my pickup. My gm Kyle says look at that bug on my leg.....it looks like a little eab. I put on the glasses and damn if it didn't look EXACTLY like an EAB. So I emptied out a sealed clear plastic box I keep stuff in and put it in there and put on the lid and

there he is...in there walking around without a care in the world just like he was doing on Kyle's leg.

We went out of the truck to prune for 3 hours and got back in the truck to leave and guess what ....he is gone. Box is empty with a sealed lid.

Just more fodder for the legend that is EAB :jawdrop:

EAB news in Wisconsin

Now that spring is back, more information about our little green demon...

An article about traps:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/91918514.html

and a discovery of the critter in West Bend... a few miles from the first infestation in the state.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/95974959.html

I don't know if it makes any difference for this bug, but we had a fairly mild winter (temperature wise) here in Wisconsin (My yellow bamboo survived (above ground) for the first time. Usually just the roots survive). Does this have any impact on the bug's spread to any body's knowledge? (I will not say global warming, but I might say La Nina)

I'm sure there will be more to come thought the coming months...

I was in Grand Rapids Mich this weekend and saw lots of ugly ash trees. Some were dieing from the bottom, some from the top. I saw these sick looking trees north of ####cago, Ill anoy. Does the bug kill from the top, bottom or both. By the time I got north of Milwaukee The tree were healthy for now. Also, do they kill real small trees too? I have hundreds of small ash trees growing naturally

Generally, EAB infested trees die from the top down. However, in really heavy infestation, they really all die at once.

Yes, small trees are killed as well - including those smaller than 1" caliper.

CALUMET -- The group of Michigan Tech researchers hoping to slow destruction caused by the emerald ash borer in Houghton County is turning to another insect for help.

The team is releasing hundreds of parasitic wasps onto dozens of infested trees in the Calumet Area.

The bugs are specifically deadly to the emerald ash borer and its eggs, but don't sting like regular wasps and are completely harmless to humans.

The wasps have been used in other infested areas--including downstate--but this is the first time they've been introduced in the U.P.

"The parasite will develop inside the emerald ash borer's larvae ultimately killing them. This is all a part of the slow ash mortality project, with the goal of reducing the rate ash trees die in areas where the emerald ash borer is established," said Andrew Storer, Forest Insect Ecology.

Team members have also begun injecting other trees with insecticides that should help protect them from the exotic beetles.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=480247

The wasps (just hundreds?) way too little, too late and will have little effect other than to fill the time clock card of the researchers.

As for the injections....once they are stopped (read expensive) they will be attacked and have no effect on eradication.....that is if the injection holes do neat lead to their demise.

Back