Early stihl 034av cost effective to rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetheboatguy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I looked at a well used 034 for a friend. It isn't trashed by any means, but it has seen it's fair share of use. It likely needs a total rebuild, new p&c, crank bearings, seals, carb kit and boot.

My question is being realistic is it cost effective to do such to a older saw? Or would he be better off selling it and use the funds towards something newer?

What do you think the cost to rebuild it correctly would be? Or what would be a fair selling price for it? (Cylinder is junk)

Steven

I only build them for my own use, always too expensive to build and sell for profit but if one wants a good durable saw they fit that niche well.

That's exactly what he wants advice on. He plans to keep and use whatever he ends up with. And whatever he does end up with. Will see plenty of use. He is getting into selling firewood.

I don't have much experience working on stihl saws, so I figured I would ask. If it were a husky I would know better. But I don't know much about the 034.

Steven

The 034 and 036, same chassis, are great candidates for a rebuild. If the saw is going to be used a lot after its build its best to go all OEM on parts if he wants the saw to be reliable and long lasting. The Meteor pistons are of good quality for AM stuff but the rest of the AM stuff is still a crapshoot. You need to check out the prices though of OEM parts needed from a local dealer, prices vary wildy on Stihl OEM parts.

I have an 034. It seems to have low hours for being 30 yrs old. I've had it almost 2 years and have been fixing little things here and there with the thought that it'll possibly outlast me if I eventually replace everything and take care of it. I run it almost every weekend and I really like it. I'm guessing a new saw that would be comparable would run 500-700 dollars, so I feel like I'm ahead fixing it up in my spare time (free labor). Seems to be a good saw that is straight forward to work on. The folks on this site can walk my dumb rear end through it pretty well-so that's a major plus.

Did not price the piston for the 034 however the OEM 360 piston from Stihl was around $40.00. Not sure if the 034 piston is still available from Stihl let alone a full cylinder kit.

The OEM bearings have been less than $15.00 clutch side and a bit cheaper flywheel. Thinking they were less than $25.00 for the set.

Gasket kit with seals was around maybe $40.00 OEM, been a long time since I ordered any of those. Used plenty of AM seals with zero issues. Gaskets can be iffy, kind of depends on the batch when it comes from an AM source.

Cranks were pricey OEM, maybe $200.00 range do not really remember. Get a good used OEM before going AM,

Do not remember the intake boot cost from Stihl however get it from Stihl, the AM boots and lines have been pretty crappy in terms of lasting or even just fitting.

Not a fan of the Meteor pistons for the 036 however never used one for the 034.

Bearings and pistons were purchased end of last year. Prices may have changed, do not know what current prices are.

Seems Stihl parts prices have been up and down over this last year so its wise to check out current prices before diving in to a project that will require more than a couple parts. The Canadian side prices stayed high while some parts of the US seen big price drops, depends mostly on which distributor the parts come from. I just completed rebuilding two 044 Artics, good thing I did not have to pay Canadian prices for the parts!

Back