Earmuff questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianhere

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am trying to do research on earmuffs but can't find anyone talking about it. I am looking for earmuffs for chainsaw use and am wondering if the hardhat mounted earmuffs are as effective as the headband ones. I don't know if I feel comfortable using my saw without a hardhat, so i guess I don't have much of a choice between the 2. I'll have to just use the hardhat earmuffs anyway. Was just curious I guess. I'm thinking of getting the 3m peltor 30 db ones. Another thing is I am wondering if I can wear earbuds under the hardhat earmuffs without compromising the effectiveness of the muffs. Thanks for your help

The muffs are just effective.

No ear buds when felling.

Not a problem if you're bucking up a log, but there's too many noises you don't want to miss when felling. (And the muffs make hearing those noises easier...they're designed to attenuate best the frequencies of running equipment, which is why it's easier to hear someone talking with them on and a saw running then when you're not wearing hearing protection.)

Reputable vendors will list the dBA rating of their earmuffs although sometimes you have to search a bit to find them.

I also like the Husqvarna combo helmet-earmuffs that zogger mentions, I find the setup pretty comfortable even when it's warm out and the muffs work pretty well. Husqvarna rates them at 25 dBA.

Earmuffs work because they form a tight seal around your ears. Earbud cords compromise that seal and the muffs won't be as effective at doing their job.

If you're really concerned about noise levels you can get single-use earplugs like the ones target shooters use that don't have a connecting cord and wear them under the muffs.

The peltors are great muffs , check with industrial supply companies in your area .
I use the foam rollies and muffs when running my chipper for extended periods but have never felt that the peltors were not enough protection when running saws .
I guess if you were going to block up wood for hours it wouldn't hurt .

According to MSHA and OSHA. And noise over 105db needs double protection. There are apps for the smart phone that have db meters. I personally just use ear plugs, or plugs and muffs with the radio in them. Remember that if you use ear buds, the music devices have the capability to pump out sound over 100db.

That being said. I will recommend the strongest level of protection.

A good set of muffs is only about a 20 db reduction. Every muff lists its particular noise reduction value as does every plug. Good ear plugs can run over 30 db sound reduction so I always favor plugs over muffs for my ears if I am not doubling up. In a loud environment I like to wear muffs over my plugs. That lets me get near 50 db noise reduction which really protects my ears.

Earmuffs work because they form a tight seal around your ears. Earbud cords compromise that seal and the muffs won't be as effective at doing their job.

Although I don't disagree with what your said, I believe a cord from ear buds is negligible. Especially when you have eye glasses coming through.

According to MSHA and OSHA. And noise over 105db needs double protection. There are apps for the smart phone that have db meters. I personally just use ear plugs, or plugs and muffs with the radio in them. Remember that if you use ear buds, the music devices have the capability to pump out sound over 100db.

That being said. I will recommend the strongest level of protection.
I was an aircraft mech. for nearly 35 years.I was either in the cockpit or on the ground during high power engine runs,sometimes for hours on end.I was also exposed to gun fire often.When on high power runs I used plugs and muffs.My hearing is still quite good except for high pitched sounds, unless I'm practically on top of it I don't hear it.If you are bucking up log length logs I'd say you ought to be using both plugs and muffs.That saw is running at full song and it is only arms length away.

I vote for plugs & muffs combo also. The plugs knock 29 db or so, and the muffs take care of the rest. I agree that if you are going with only one, use the plugs. Your safety glasses cause a gap in the seal against your head, letting sound in, and reducing the NRR of the muffs.

You are wearing safety glasses, right? :dumb:

With a stock muffler I really don't see a need for muffs plus ear plugs. If you do a lot with an old saw or muffler modded saw it may make sense.

With a stock muffler I really don't see a need for muffs plus ear plugs. If you do a lot with an old saw or muffler modded saw it may make sense.

My 2188 is stock, but even with NRR 30 earplugs, it's just loud to me. Every saw is different, though. I'm sure a stock muffler 50cc saw isn't nearly as loud as the bigger saws.

I've got a cheap helmet, and the attached muffs don't hold very well. I usually just wear some decent quality muffs. There is a big difference between 30db and 20db protection.

I often listen to stuff all day long with my mp3 player, but I turn the volume down to as low as tolerable. It's not just the decibels that are dangerous, it's the time. Listening to 85 db for 20 minutes is as damaging as listening to 100 db for 3 minutes (or something along those lines).

I'm sure the people viewing this thread are all wise about protecting your hearing, but hopefully some non-hearing-protection people will see this.
I suddenly lost the hearing in 1 ear several years ago, and discovered I was slowly losing it in the other because of my lack of protection. No more. I'm always protective of my one remaining ear now.

Once upon a time I used to travel the country shooting competitive pistol matches. There would be vendors at the matches making the custom, molded in your ear type plugs. Absolutely the best $50 I have ever spent. They are comfortable , they keep the noise out, and in the summer time I used to hate wearing the muffs be cause they were so hot. If mine ever wear out I will have another set made in a heart beat.

Back