Earmuff questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20150421_191525.jpg I bought some muffs from Northern that had the word stereo real big on the package. I was assuming that meant it had a radio. Turns out it actually has a microphone on each side to hear noises below 25 decibels and when it goes above that the microphone turns off and you have hearing protection. .. kinda feel ripped off!!

That is a great solution to the complaints people have about not hearing conversations when they are wearing muffs. I don't get how that is being ripped off.

I wear the Bose sound blockers so I can listen to my music and buck logs or limb. I still use them when felling but I turn the music off. I also use them when splitting, running a leaf blower, and everything else in the yard or around the farm. Best part is, the wife can call my name outside all she wants and now knows I won't respond because I'm listening to my music....well most of the time.

I wear the Bose sound blockers so I can listen to my music and buck logs or limb. I still use them when felling but I turn the music off. I also use them when splitting, running a leaf blower, and everything else in the yard or around the farm. Best part is, the wife can call my name outside all she wants and now knows I won't respond because I'm listening to my music....well most of the time.
Your not the only person I've heard of using those. My only concern is, what the NRR?

I (now) have built-in hearing protection... my ears have a constant ringin' in them so loud I have trouble hearin' anything, especially if there's any sort'a background noise. I never wore hearing protection when shootin' or runnin' OPE... and most of the time I still forget to gab some ear plugs when I grab the saw, weed-whacker, leaf blower, etc. The ringin' is constant and miserable. Y'all can discuss "what" or "how much" protection is the best... I won't get into that.

But I do wanna' say, to those reading who ain't bothered with hearing protection (especially the young guys)... in this case, do as I say, not as I do (did)... get something, get it quick‼
Even cigarette butts stuffed in your ears are better than nothin'... and bein' an idiot (like me) don't make a real man out'a ya'.

Just sayin'.

I (now) have built-in hearing protection... my ears have a constant ringin' in them so loud I have trouble hearin' anything, especially if there's any sort'a background noise. I never wore hearing protection when shootin' or runnin' OPE... and most of the time I still forget to gab some ear plugs when I grab the saw, weed-whacker, leaf blower, etc. The ringin' is constant and miserable. Y'all can discuss "what" or "how much" protection is the best... I won't get into that.

But I do wanna' say, to those reading who ain't bothered with hearing protection (especially the young guys)... in this case, do as I say, not as I do (did)... get something, get it quick‼
Even cigarette butts stuffed in your ears are better than nothin'... and bein' an idiot (like me) don't make a real man out'a ya'.

Just sayin'.
+1 +1 +1...best common sense post and advice, especially concerning younger folks...leave the 'cool/ain't cool/whatever' factor out of it. My loss (mandatory hearing test annually, DoD mandated working on a flightline) every year is a little more and a little more, be it low freq and/or high freq. Mine has come about, not so much probably with OPE...after years and years of jet engine run ups, test cell run ups, functional test run ups, etc, etc. Just the everyday aircraft/flightline work whether active duty yrs ago or current DoD civilian.

Only get one shot at it, once it's gone, hearing aids/things as such may help...but in the end...it's gone. Good luck on your choice of protection OP and anyone else and wear it wisely.

Your not the only person I've heard of using those. My only concern is, what the NRR?
What's NRR?
Guess I'm kind of lucky in a way. I have noise sensitive ears and always have. First time I ever shot skeet, I was 10. Dad didn't use hearing protection so there was none for me either. My right ear rang for 2 and a half days. Once he found that out, I had ear muffs which I've used anytime I'm around anything loud. So since then, I've always protected my ears...can't even stand concerts because my ears would ring the day after the few I've been to. So with that as my background, I can easily say the Bose sound blockers work great and my music isn't turned up very loud or I would have a headache and ringing ears.
I can still shake a brand NEW light bulb and here the filament rattle around in it.

What's NRR?
Guess I'm kind of lucky in a way. I have noise sensitive ears and always have. First time I ever shot skeet, I was 10. Dad didn't use hearing protection so there was none for me either. My right ear rang for 2 and a half days. Once he found that out, I had ear muffs which I've used anytime I'm around anything loud. So since then, I've always protected my ears...can't even stand concerts because my ears would ring the day after the few I've been to. So with that as my background, I can easily say the Bose sound blockers work great and my music isn't turned up very loud or I would have a headache and ringing ears.
I can still shake a brand NEW light bulb and here the filament rattle around in it.

...Noise Reduction Rating.

View attachment 420478 I bought some muffs . . . actually has a microphone on each side to hear noises below 25 decibels and when it goes above that the microphone turns off and you have hearing protection. ..

I have some similar ones from 3M / Peltor.

'Standard operation' is 25 dB NRR. If you want to listen to someone without removing the muffs, you press a button on the side, which turns on a microphone, and lets you hear sounds up to 87DB. If the battery dies, they work just like standard ear muffs. There are also versions for shooters, that allow ambient sound up to a specified level (say 82 dBA), but block impulse/shot noise above that. I have not seen any of these that clip into a helmet system, but there might be adaptors available from 3M, or from other vendors. Honeywell also sells a wide range of hearing protectors.

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-04-23 at 10.35.44 AM.png

What's NRR?
Noise reduction rating = NRR
I'd be hesitent to use them if they dont have a NRR but thats just me. Besides, they seem too expensive to put them through that kind of abuse.

I'd be hesitent to use them if they dont have a NRR but thats just me.

The Noise Reduction Rating is complex, and it involves OSHA, NIOSH, and EPA calculations, type(s) of noise, individual fit, etc. Basically, hearing protection with a higher NRR will attenuate more noise than one with a lower NRR. The effective NRR drops significantly if not worn as intended, or if it does not fit a particular user. They don't protect at all if not worn.

Wearing ear plugs and hearing muffs together increases the effective NRR, but the numbers don't add directly.

Philbert

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9737

http://www2.epa.gov/aboutepa/epa-establishes-new-noise-label-program

Sounds like I need muffs as well.
Some if it is personal preference. I only like to put ear plugs in when my hands are clean and dry, and when the plugs will be staying in for a while (e.g. working in a factory).

Ear muffs are easy to put on and remove for temporary noise, like using a chainsaw by yourself. They also protect my ears from branches, etc., and are conveniently attached to my forestry helmet, so it is one less thing to keep track of.

Philbert

To the OP,

Start off finding something that is comfortable to wear for extended periods first, NRR second. I say this because a pair of muffs, plugs, etc. that are comfortable will be worn and provide far more hearing protection than the higher rated uncomfortable pair left in the truck, shop, tractor bucket etc.

Take Care

Going on
I'd be hesitent to use them if they dont have a NRR but thats just me. Besides, they seem too expensive to put them through that kind of abuse.
4.5 years with them and I only had to replace the padded pieces that make direct contact with my ears. I've worn them for 1000's of hours at this point.

Back