Echo 330/360t improving air intake, time cuts comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it was designed like that to make the air turbulent to help vaporize the fuel and prevent the fuel from condensing along the intake track
no it bottle necks in the middle its a a design flaw for sure....

i'm with stubnail here. it's a design defect. if they wanted a one-size-fits-all they should have sized the bore for their largest intended carb. maybe they designed it that way to give it more strength. and, bikemike, you're right about it causing turbulence but that's a place where you don't want turbulence. turbulence would degrade the performance of the venturi. i think that's why i had to lean out the high jet by more than a quarter turn after the mod. the venturi finally start to work right. what that bracket reminds me of is the restrictor plates used on some nascar tracks to limit horsepower.

I am a little confused. If that saw is flowing more air with the mod, it would make the mixture leaner, correct ? The carb would need to be adjusted fatter to compensate for the additional air,unless it was running way rich before the mod was done. Maybe I have this all wrong, but the results seem contradictory to basic 2 stroke operation.

I am a little confused. If that saw is flowing more air with the mod, it would make the mixture leaner, correct ? The carb would need to be adjusted fatter to compensate for the additional air,unless it was running way rich before the mod was done. Maybe I have this all wrong, but the results seem contradictory to basic 2 stroke operation.

cedarshark-

that's what one would expect. however, think about the way a carb's venturi works (it's called the "venturi effect".) a fluid flowing thru a tube that curves smoothly to a reduced diameter produces a negative pressure in an aperture through its side. That's how fuel gets sucked into a carb's throat (or bubbles into a jaccuzzi.) to work well it needs a smooth bore, free of restrictions. restricting the inlet of the venturi could cause a second negative pressure which would "suck" fuel from the jets, like when the choke is on. that negative pressure would likely increase exponentially with volume and/or speed, like when you open the throttle. to correct that one would need to close the metering needles. also the carburetor might not work as well. anyway, that's the theory i came up with. the facts were that after modifying the brackets and reassembling, the saws turned about 10.5k rpm at wfo. i tuned them to run at 13k by leaning out the H jets. the book says 13.5k is max rpm so i may be able to get some more out of these saws. they already embarrass the stihl. someone will probably have a better idea. geez, my head hurts. i gotta put on my helmet and go drag my knuckles.

I do know my echo dont like lean it wont gain rpm as kwik lean and it will still only go to rev limit. My saw has been goin good for a few years now. I plan on getting many more years out of it. 40.1

I do know my echo dont like lean it wont gain rpm as kwik lean and it will still only go to rev limit. My saw has been goin good for a few years now. I plan on getting many more years out of it. 40.1

don't know where the rev limiter lives but i think it's around 13.5k. i tried tweaking the 360 today. i could get it up above 13.6. i finally set it at 13.4k and it picked up a little power. i'm not going to collect any hard data, too much work to set up a "saw-off" for three saws again. i took the new loop off yesterday and remounted the old loops on both echos and realized they need some attention.

hey, i see you live a stones throw from red wing. i wish they made a 12" lace-to-toe.

don't know where the rev limiter lives but i think it's around 13.5k. i tried tweaking the 360 today. i could get it up above 13.6. i finally set it at 13.4k and it picked up a little power. i'm not going to collect any hard data, too much work to set up a "saw-off" for three saws again. i took the new loop off yesterday and remounted the old loops on both echos and realized they need some attention.

hey, i see you live a stones throw from red wing. i wish they made a 12" lace-to-toe.
So you a red winger?

So you a red winger?

i do have a pair of 10" redwings but i prefer 12" lace-to-toes. i have two pairs of those, one a baileys and the other from one of those makers in the pnw. i like to change to a different pair every day. they last forever if you do that. the problem i have with red wings is that they're a struggle to pull and old ones are often blown out above the heels from that. lace-to-toes slip on like a pair of moccasins.

i do have a pair of 10" redwings but i prefer 12" lace-to-toes. i have two pairs of those, one a baileys and the other from one of those makers in the pnw. i like to change to a different pair every day. they last forever if you do that. the problem i have with red wings is that they're a struggle to pull and old ones are often blown out above the heels from that. lace-to-toes slip on like a pair of moccasins.
I like my salomon boots they have lasted a couple years now and i wear them every day

no it bottle necks in the middle its a a design flaw for sure....
At this point presuming its a design floor, your saying that you know something that the design engineers at Yamabiko don't. l don't wish to spoil the party but maybe the design is there for a reason. Messing with intake velocity should be done by someone who understands it IMO. In the vids
l am not confident those saws would eat up a well tuned 200t. And someone mentioned the need for an accellerator pump in 200t carbs, well you stihl made many carbs for this model and some do not have accellerator pumps and you can block off the accellerator pump with JB weld and Not notice any performance change. Bikemike mentions that treemonkeys 200t is a real runner, l wonder what he would think of this mod. ls the op really sure this mod netted a gain in hp??

I have not even done the mod yet... im thinking its to make it sip gas.... you cant help but see how well bike mikes saw runs its his mod not mine .. but the video shows the saw running very well....I suppose you would have to ask Yamabiko corp.....and i have not burned up any equipment in over 20 years....I would also go so far as to say before i do any mods i buy a replacement part.... that way if i dont like how it runs i change it back...Cheers Mate....

There is a reason the #1 selling top handle saw is made by STIHL. Echo does make a nice saw but day in day out they don't last long.

Im not a brand person if i could fit it in my budget i would own one of everything LOl he probably does not agree with a muffler mod either.....

I started to do the exact adapter modification some time ago. Personally, I decided it would be of little benefit because the choke butterfly and shaft restrict the air intake to about the same opening of the adapter.
Glad you got a positive outcome with your decision to modify.

Im not a brand person if i could fit it in my budget i would own one of everything LOl he probably does not agree with a muffler mod either.....

I'm not brand loyal either...my top handles are all Stihl and the rear handles are Husky's with a few Dolmar's mixed in

I wont do it till i have a brand new elbow on hand...i like the Ability if i dont like what i do i can change it back.....

I'm not brand loyal either...my top handles are all Stihl and the rear handles are Husky's with a few Dolmar's mixed in

you do it every day i do maybe 2 tree jobs per week these days.... the echos hold up for me.... i do want a new stihl 201 tc so bad its not funny all my top handles are echo i have one mint 009 i dont call a top handle.... my rear handles are echos husqvarna poulan and stihl.....

There is a reason the #1 selling top handle saw is made by STIHL. Echo does make a nice saw but day in day out they don't last long.
Ive been running mine for a few years never even cracked the engine open for anything. Mine get banged around in trees climbing hanging from a lanyard. Mine also is used to dice trees up too. 4 to 5 days a week my saw runs at the minimum of 4 tanks a day. Other times im using 044 or 046 and 460 to take care of the rest of the work. My echo is not as slow as you think. And at one time on this site you were all gung ho about the 355 echo over the stihl till you broke ur echo. Yeah i have also seen 200t 020t and 201t broke too. They all break when gettin run over or dropped. Not saying the echo is a demo derby saw of saws. But what saw is? I cant justify spending 600 on a new 201 when i can get the same or better performance out of an echo. Its all just a ford dodge chevy thang

you do it every day i do maybe 2 tree jobs per week these days.... the echos hold up for me.... i do want a new stihl 201 tc so bad its not funny all my top handles are echo i have one mint 009 i dont call a top handle.... my rear handles are echos husqvarna poulan and stihl.....
Hey run what runs and get the job done

This is my around the house go to saw. Sounds good fun to run av is a bit sloppy but run it hard all the time and has not let loose yet. Been try to blow it up but no go

Attachments

• 20150225_170329.jpg
    20150225_170329.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Back