Echo blower runs great for a minute then slowly fades to death.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunrise Guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, calling on the gods of all things gas-powered, here. My ten year old Echo blower runs great but, eventually, dwindles down to a sure death. I changed out the carb and it then ran a few extra minutes but still died. I hypothesize that the piston ring is worn down, after ten years, and when the motor heats up compression is no longer possible because the ring is no longer snug in its heat-expanded cylinder. Am I correct, or is there another possibility?

Sorry, wrong forum. I can't seem to find the delete, so please move me and/or answer this post. Thanks!

When it starts to run poorly, loosen the fuel cap and see if the engine runs well again. The fuel tank vent could not be functioning properly causing a vacuum in the tank resulting in poor fuel delivery to the carburetor. If the condition improves with loosening the fuel cap, you may just simply need to replace the fuel tank vent.

When it starts to run poorly, loosen the fuel cap and see if the engine runs well again. The fuel tank vent could not be functioning properly causing a vacuum in the tank resulting in poor fuel delivery to the carburetor. If the condition improves with loosening the fuel cap, you may just simply need to replace the fuel tank vent.

Yeah, I tried that, early-on, with no difference noted. I appreciate your input.

Translation: Get out the Mapp gas torch and get the inside of the muffler redhot to burn off any carbon. If the muffler is restrictive/has a catalytic converter get out the drill bits and fix it!!!

Make sure the fuel pick up line and filter have NOT worked there way up towards the fuel cap. Make sure the filter/pick up is where it should be on the tank floor so it is able to pull fuel. +1 on checking for carbon on spark screen....propane torch cleans them best but a wire brush will do the trick as well.

i had a similar problem on a cheap pooey blower.. i found it to be the vibrations of the motor would airate the fuel so much the carby ended up sucking more air than fuel. this was more apparent when the tank was less than half full. i ended up rubber mounted the tank .. was better but still not the best.

Back