Echo break in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I purchased a echo cs800p recently. Its destined for mill duty. Question is, should i run a couple tanks through it just cutting firewood before i put it on the mill? Or do you think it would be fine to slap on the mill right out of the box and run it hard.

I'm new here, so take my advice with a grain of salt. If you said it was destined for felling or bucking, I'd say just run it, but mill work is damn tough on a saw. If it were mine I'd break it in for a few tank fulls firewooding or something. Even if just for peace of mind.

We usually run a few tanks at 40:1 then let her run. Please let us know how the CS-800 works for milling, we are seeing interest in that saw because of the price and how well its built.

Will do, im excited to get into milling with it, people who own them say there good torquey saws, and have manual override oiler. So i figured that combo would be good for milling.time will tell.

I was thinking about an 800 to be my big saw. Probly wouldn't get used a lot but would be nice to have something that would handle a big bar if need be. Most likely would end up ported like the 590. Looking forward to hearing what you think of yours.

The only thing i worry about, is i read echo's are notoriously lean from the factory and im sure they have carb limiters on. So i hope i can fatten it up to my liking especially for mill duty without having to modify the limiters and void any warranty.

Also wondering now if it has a catalyst muffler.

The only thing i worry about, is i read echo's are notoriously lean from the factory and im sure they have carb limiters on. So i hope i can fatten it up to my liking especially for mill duty without having to modify the limiters and void any warranty.

No cat muffler.
My 590 ran for a year in temps ranging from 25 to 95 degrees with the limiters in place and didn't melt down. Not saying yours will be that way if I got another one the limiters would come off after the first or second tank and I'd set it how I want it.

You have to pull the limiters and tune , a little rich for milling. If you did have a warrant issue, not likely tuned right and way more likely without pulling the caps you can buy new limiter caps for 54 cents each online. Steve

Thats a good point, id rather it be the right tune and ditch the caps, then get some more if i have an warranty issue. But if i ditch them and tune it right chances are ill never have a warranty issue anyway. Besides after warranty is up im working over the muffler :)

IMG_20170324_123249.jpg IMG_20170324_123300.jpg This is my 490 I pulled the plate off carefully and then the tabs come right off. I left mine off, if your worried about warranty tune the saw and put everything back in place. Sorry its dirty in the pics been busy lately.IMG_20170312_104237.jpg

Ahh ok i had to tune ms 390 for a guy and i had to get allitle aggressive getting them out

I never asked the dealer, what is echo's warranty? Ive seen 5 years, but i cant imagine theyed warrant the big ones that long

Back