Echo CS-370, Dolmar PS-350 or Redmax GZ-4000?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smakdown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an Echo 500p with 20" and MM. I am looking a smaller saw 14-16" for limbing and small stuff. I am a firewood junkie and just for fun. This is my first post on here, let me here what y'all think. Thanks

I have a echo cs-400 and am very happy with it. Its the same as the 370, just little more displacement. I am not aware that the red max saws are available in the us anymore.

For sure go with a CS400 as it has quite a bit more power than a CS370 and the same weight . I go out on a lot of custom sawing jobs and most that use one of my CS 400 saws ask where to buy one. Steve

If you can get a GZ4000 I don't see how there's even any question.

Never ran the Echo but I know lots of guys who run CS 400's and they all swear by them. The Red Max's are great saws and I have ran them. Muffler mod them and it will pull the 18 inch well but are best with a 16 incher

The redmax saws are being discontinued in the US. I like my gz4000 but I believe you would be happy with the cs 400 as well. I believe it would be with worth the difference one the cs370.

I have both and I'll take the Echo any day. Steve
That may well be, but there is a significant difference between the two. The Echo is a conventional engine design with a cat muffler, while the Zenoah has quad closed transfers and a strato intake, and no cat.

The Echo is also a clamshell with a plastic case, (which is not a problem to me but some don't care for it), while the GZ4000 has a split mag abbreviated case which the bar studs mount into.

I think that 500p would be great with a 13-15" bar. Not that this really response really addresses your original question, but I do think it would be a slick setup on that powerhead.
Does anyone make one? I couldn't find anything shorter than 16" when I was looking for one for mine.

That may well be, but there is a significant difference between the two. The Echo is a conventional engine design with a cat muffler, while the Zenoah has quad closed transfers and a strato intake, and no cat.

The Echo is also a clamshell with a plastic case, (which is not a problem to me but some don't care for it), while the GZ4000 has a split mag abbreviated case which the bar studs mount into.

You really need to get a CS400, muff modd and tune it. Steve

I'll second a cs400 I had one for years and enjoyed it very much. I liked it just as much as my 543xp. Filter stayed alittle cleaner and the power is very similar. My cousin talked me out of it. He ported it and said it screamed until he got greedy and over revved it.

I got a 370 for $150 i like 370's and 400's about the same I dont think you can go wrong with them
running a 14" bar not sure how much heavyer they are than other saws in their class
but they run better than my 42 cc poulans

If you can get a GZ4000 I don't see how there's even any question.
Almost true, IMHO, once you try a Dolmar 421. Same price, tad heavier, ~.5 hp more, and carb that can be adjusted without smooching butt @ dealer. (Double-D will do.) Both have excellent A/V. Too bad the Dolmar is not a strato.
Note that I love my GZ -4000 for limbing. :clap: Such fuel-endurance! :heart:

The echo cs400 is also a good choice for me on the small saws it would be either or.the gz400 is of course less choked up in the muffler.

Latest posts

Back