Echo cs-370, they actually work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

historian1

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a long time reader and appreciate all of your input. I recently purchased an Echo cs-370 as I was in need of a small limbing saw to cut up 4 to 8" limbs and logs. For some background, I have a 1/4 acre suburban place with about 7 maples and other evergreens.

I wasn't looking for anything large, and have access and use mid and large sized Stihl and Husqvarnas at family members places (some of which work for timber companies). I was specifically in need of a 30-40cc saw with a small bar. On my list were the Echo 370/400, Stihl ms 180, 211, 250, the Husq. 435, and the Makita/Dolmars in that size range, and also the Solo models. The Echo worked out due to HD gift cards.

I have read mostly positive reviews, but honestly didn't knwo what to expect. Below is my experience, in hopes of helping out anyone else considering this saw. Note, the saw sitting on the shelf clearly stated MADE IN JAPAN, but the box and saw I bought is IN THE USA. The saw has a nice air filter and it is easy to access the filter and the oil/fuel filters.

* The bar oil did not leak out of the saw when it isn't running as some people have experienced. There is an adjustment to regulate the amount of bar oil, I haven't adjusted it.

* Following the instructoins (I never do this) the saw fired on the second pull. What? I wasn't expecting this. I let it sit running for 5 or 10 minutes. Seems to idle ok. The couple of times I restarted the saw, it started on the first or second pull.

* The saw did not bog in 8" maple limbs. To push it a bit, I tested it on some 12" Mulberry. It was not fast by any means, but did not stall out and with a sharp chain it made a clean cut that required no user pressure on the saw. I am not going to be using this saw on large wood, I have access to larger saws for that.

* I'll keep an eye on how it runs after a few tanks of fuel, I imagine the carb may need adjustment, but it actually ran better from the factory than I was expecting. I really was anticipating it to stop running or something.

So far so good, it should work for it's limited purpose. Again, not a saw I anticipate using on large wood. If only I had some large trees so that I could buy a couple more saws. . . ;) Thanks to all of you for your various product reviews, I have gotten great information over the years.

I have an Echo cs 370 as well. It's a nice small saw. It oils the bar really well right out of the box. Oils a hell of a lot better than stock stihls I've run/own. Go figure.

Likeany other Echo leave it home when the races are in town but mine has been dead reliable for 3 ( I think?) years. If you like it now you will realy like it if you open the muffler up and set the carb. I have one of the very early ones with no purge pump. Amazes me every time I use it how little fuel it goes through, Air fliter stays clean forever and it does oil the chain, mine is set almost closed, I cant imagine what a person would need that oiler set up to the max for?? My only (slight ) knocks are the oil works very well all the time, set it down running to move to brush or wood and it leaves a puddle, wish it was operated by output side of the clutch and it can be a bear to keep running at first when its cold out, needs a half choke position it doesnt have.

Likeany other Echo leave it home when the races are in town but mine has been dead reliable for 3 ( I think?) years. If you like it now you will realy like it if you open the muffler up and set the carb. I have one of the very early ones with no purge pump. Amazes me every time I use it how little fuel it goes through, Air fliter stays clean forever and it does oil the chain, mine is set almost closed, I cant imagine what a person would need that oiler set up to the max for?? My only (slight ) knocks are the oil works very well all the time, set it down running to move to brush or wood and it leaves a puddle, wish it was operated by output side of the clutch and it can be a bear to keep running at first when its cold out, needs a half choke position it doesnt have.

been running 1 for years now and never a minutes trouble,,i will pick it up before my 530 on smaller stuff like 12" or smaller

While running idle some oil does leak out on the bar, but as of yet (only 5 hours running) no puddle. I have not tried the 16" OEM bar and chain, but it seems to like the 14". I kind of wish I hadn't run out of wood to cut!

Does anyone have photos or a better way to describe using the drywall screws to get off the covers on the L and H limits?

Historian
Removing limiter caps is very simple. You will need a paper clip and a drywall screw. Use the paper clip to line up the tabs of the caps into their slots. The locking tabs are on the vertical sides of the caps when your looking at them. Once theyre lined up, thread a drywall screw right into the center of the cap and off it comes.

Fish says the jets wont vibrate out of adjustment, and I believe him, so just deep six the caps once you get them off. The other option is to slice the locking tabs off with a razor blade and slip them back onto the jets.

i always put the caps back on for 2 reasons,,1 easier to adjust later and extra insurance that the needle won't move with vibration

Mine is flawless i took a peach tree down the other day with it and it was great. Finally got 4 tanks thru it, ill have to take it to a dealer now to get it tuned since i dont have a tach.

Its funny how everyone bashes the Echo saws but atleast once a week there is a post about them how happy the buyer is.

Mine is flawless i took a peach tree down the other day with it and it was great. Finally got 4 tanks thru it, ill have to take it to a dealer now to get it tuned since i dont have a tach.

Its funny how everyone bashes the Echo saws but atleast once a week there is a post about them how happy the buyer is.

Isn't that the truth. A guy just brought in a 029 that he said would only run for 10 minutes, pulled the muff off and the piston @ cly looked good. Carb was set real lean, adjusted and it's the best running 029 290 saw I've run so thanks mostly to the .325 chain. I let him use my muff modded CS400 now he wants to trade me even up like usual, most every one that runs a well tuned Echo likes them. For me it's a good deal as I can get more for the 029 in real nice shape than the Echo that I picked up cheap on the bay, around $100 more I think. Steve

Isn't that the truth. A guy just brought in a 029 that he said would only run for 10 minutes, pulled the muff off and the piston @ cly looked good. Carb was set real lean, adjusted and it's the best running 029 290 saw I've run so thanks mostly to the .325 chain. I let him use my muff modded CS400 now he wants to trade me even up like usual, most every one that runs a well tuned Echo likes them. For me it's a good deal as I can get more for the 029 in real nice shape than the Echo that I picked up cheap on the bay, around $100 more I think. Steve

Tell him ill send him my 370 lol

Back