echo cs-400 or other small 40-50cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd548esco

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello--

as most of you have probably guessed , i have a few EX-logging saws mostly 440s and 460s a 372xp and a echo timberwolf. all these saws are in the 13-14lb dry weight class --light for a big saw--but still er big--

now i haven't owned ANY homeowner type saws in the 40-50cc range for any length of time, seems like i had a rancher i got on trade and quickly it made its way to flea-bay--

anyway all my saws are sort of "overkill" for topping up limbs for firewood.

i'm looking for a saw around 10-11lb dry weight , since it is sort of a secondary thing i don't want to dump a big wad of $$$ on it so less money is good provided it will run and start and has enough power to pull a 16-18" bar through a 10" or so oak limb--

i know you can get a poulan 50AV dirt cheap, and have been watching flea-bay for a deal on used echo-40cc

are there any real bang for buck "jems' in this size and weight?

how about a hatachi 50cc??--

thanks!

The cs400 is a nice saw.they need a cat removal out of the muffler.done one last week and the cat was getting hot enough to cook enough mix on the exhaust side of the piston to turn it black.
The redmax gz4000 and 4500 are another great choice.would really love to try a 4500 but already have a 4000.

Hitachi are not all Chinese! The older models from Tanaka (Hitachi and Tanaka are now merged) are pure japanese. I am VERY happy with my Tanaka 3801 = Hitachi CS40EK! BTW they are PRO saws through and through! Mag housing, 38ccm/2.4hp and running 14500rpm are just some corner stones.

Or you could get the Tanka 4500. Same model same weigth but with 45cc/2.8hp.

I've been very happy with Echo CS400...prefer my Dolmar 420. Never weighed either of them so not sure how well they fit your weight profile. I prefer my Dolmar 420 over my Husky 543XP.

CS 400 and the 6421 always go to the woods with me. The 6421 never really gets used.

cost is sort of a factor too--

i've been seeing the china hitachis on flea bay and amazon at good prices --anybody run one of um?

I would also like to put a word in for the CS-400 from echo.

I muffler modded mine (there is a thread here with pics) and it really runs much better now.

Had it doing a 40' long 22" diameter oak as well, NOT QUICKLY, not with it's 3/8 lo pro chain, but it got through it. And I used it to FELL that same oak. However, once it was on the ground, I just HAD to buy the cs-590 timberwolf or else I would have spent too much time processing the wood.

As mentioned above, these come with a catalytic converter inside the muffler. You should seriously consider drilling that out. The muffler gets VERY VERY hot if you don't, and it is quite restrictive as far as flow goes. Then take off the limiter caps on the carb so you can adjust it easier, and you will gain some power (also some noise), and an overall better operating saw. I also modify the exhaust louvre and remove the screen for better flow.

Echo saws are not commanding very much money in the aftermarket (used) and you can also find great deals on them new. I picked up my cs-400 BRAND NEW in the box at a pawn shop. $150 straight no tax.

Good luck.

JC

p.s. I have an extra muffler for this model that I would be happy to mod and trade for your new one should you want to.

Hitachi are not all Chinese! The older models from Tanaka (Hitachi and Tanaka are now merged) are pure japanese. I am VERY happy with my Tanaka 3801 = Hitachi CS40EK! BTW they are PRO saws through and through! Mag housing, 38ccm/2.4hp and running 14500rpm are just some corner stones.

Or you could get the Tanka 4500. Same model same weigth but with 45cc/2.8hp.

Oh ok.I stand corrected.I thought that the hitachi were all chinese after the hitachi/tanaka takeover.I will have to keep an eye out for the japanese models.

Back