Echo CS 400 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cciaffone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guyz, this is a new Echo chainsaw and the first
"new technology" saw I have owned, so I have some
questions about the chain brake lever.

1. I am having a really hard time getting my hand
in between the handle and the chain brake lever
without stopping the chain. Is this normal?
Should I be gripping both the handle and the
chain brake lever while cutting??

b. The saw will not rev at all when the chain
brake lever is stopping the chain. Is that normal??

thanks

chuck

1. No, not unless you've got megagiganticmonsterhands. And no, you do not grip the chainbrake and hold it back against the handle...that would rather defeat the purpose of having one there in the first place. Perhaps posting a picture of how you are holding the saw such that your hand doesn't fit would help us diagnose what is going on.

2. Then don't try to rev the saw with the brake on. What you are describing is normal - it doesn't want to rev because you don't have the power necessary to burn the clutch up, which is what revving the brake against a non-moving clutch drum would be doing if you were able to get it to rev up.

Cs-400

1. No, not unless you've got megagiganticmonsterhands. And no, you do not grip the chainbrake and hold it back against the handle...that would rather defeat the purpose of having one there in the first place. Perhaps posting a picture of how you are holding the saw such that your hand doesn't fit would help us diagnose what is going on.

2. Then don't try to rev the saw with the brake on. What you are describing is normal - it doesn't want to rev because you don't have the power necessary to burn the clutch up, which is what revving the brake against a non-moving clutch drum would be doing if you were able to get it to rev up.

+1 :agree2:

Just went out and measured my CS-400, Chuck. It's 2 1/2 inches between the handle and chain brake. With my hand wrapped approx. where it should be with light gloves on there is 1 1/2 inches clearance.

Steve

PS - I'm near Greensboro, NC.

With my chain brake handle back, there is a bit less
than 1 1/2 inches between the handle and the
chain brake bar.

I am in Durham, off 40 near RTP.

chuck

Sounds like something might be wrong with the chain brake. Might want to take the clutch/bar cover (Parts Manual calls it the sprocket guard) off and make sure that the chain tensioner is seated in the bar correctly. That is a common mistake and it seemed to me when I first put my bar and chain on I didn't have it aligned properly. Chain brake is inside that cover and you should be able to check that to see if everything is in order with that while it's off. Make sure the brake band is seated properly over the clutch drum when you reinstall it.

Steve

"That is a common mistake" ???

Whose mistake???

I did nothing but take it out of the box, start it (easily), and
try to cut limbs. What mistake could I have made??

Or ... do you mean "That's a common mistake for Echo to make??"

Hmmm. Puzzling.

What should I do now? There is no real Echo service/support
within driving distance, alas.

Sorry ... did not mean to be snippy bout this.

So assuming it's the chain brake at fault, and that I have
no useful repair shop handy, can you point me to some
info on how to disassemble the chain brake cover and
how to adjust this??

thanks for your help

chuck

Ok If you can post a pic that would help alot.Otherwise Did you get it at a big box store?If so take it back and tell them there is something wrong with it and you want a new one.You should be able to fit your hand in there comfortably without tripping the brake.It might also be how you are operating the saw

#1 I'd have to ask at this point if you have unusually large hands, cause there should be more tan enough room to fit your hand in between the brake lever and handle.

B. Don't try and rev the engine with the brake on. Any time your chain is bound, whether with the brake, jammed in a piece of wood, or whatever, trying to rev the engine is only wearing your clutch out.

And here's a link to some local dealers that can help you out. If it's warranty related, they should be able to help you out with the repairs, and maybe mention you wasn't aware they where there until your buddies at arborists site pointed them out to you. If you want to investigate this yourself, go to where you bought it, and see if their display model has the same problem yours does.

http://www.echo-usa.com/advantage.asp?transaction=search&template=map_search&search1=0&pwidth=400&pheight=700&proxIconId=400&proxIcons=1&search2=0&search3=1&country=US&searchQuantifier=AND&address=&city=durham&stateProvince=NC&postalCode=&radius=500&x=0&y=0

I'm gonna look and see if there's any way to adjust the brake lever for you, in the mean time, good luck!

Latest posts

Back