Echo CS 452VL question on auto oiler.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Rantz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a early 1980s Echo CS 452VL and the oiler isn't functioning. When I depress the toggle to oil the chain all I hear is a gurgling sound and there's no oiling on "auto" at any setting. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong? Is it a dirty screen, a split oil housing, a worn out oil line? Any help would be much appreciated!

My guess is the pickup line in the tank has fallen off. If it is original it is long past due. They turn to goo. There is a fitting on the case behind the clutch cover. It can be removed. It has a nipple to accept the oil line and filter and by design feeds the manual and auto. The nipple sits high in the tank. If there is no line on it, it will only oil if the tank is full and the clutch side is toward the ground. You can try this as a diagnostic.

If the line has fallen off, do make an effort to shake the pickup filter out of the tank. It is small and is the correct size to fit through the case hole where the fitting mounts.

That series of oil pumps move a ridiculous amount of oil. Best oilers I have ever run across.

Cory, thanks for the quick response, I do recall the last time I used the saw it did oil with the tank full, so I believe you've hit the problem. Can the access point for the nipple be taken out without removing the clutch? If so I'm guessing I simply replace the oil line and install a new filter from the nipple?

If I recall, there is just a screw holding the oil pipe fitting in the case. It will pop out. Try looking at page 7 on the attached owner's manual. Page 7 or 8 covers maintenance and they show the fitting. Tygon fuel line can be used as a substitute for the original line. Likely 3/16 x 1/8 or so. The oil strainer pickup should be rolling around in there somewhere, provided it is not stuck in some goo. In any event, the small Husqvarna brass strainers work as a substitute.

Attachments

• CS452VL_010381.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
If I recall, there is just a screw holding the oil pipe fitting in the case. It will pop out. Try looking at page 7 on the attached owner's manual. Page 7 or 8 covers maintenance and they show the fitting. Tygon fuel line can be used as a substitute for the original line. Likely 3/16 x 1/8 or so. The oil strainer pickup should be rolling around in there somewhere, provided it is not stuck in some goo. In any event, the small Husqvarna brass strainers work as a substitute.
Cory, thanks so much for the info and time for the help!!!

Cory, thanks so much for the info and time for the help!!!
Cory, found it just as you said. However, there was no tube or strainer - something tells me my dad probably took it apart and just never repaired the unit as we bought a new saw after-the-fact. So, I'll replace the line and strainer and give it a go! Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back