Echo CS-500P Compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lumbarleft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just purchased another Echo CS-500P chainsaw on Flea-Bay. I really didn't need it, but unfortunately, if the price is right, my CAD cannot be overpowered. The saw came with the 20" bar, and for $320 delivered, I couldn't pass it up, but I don't think that price is good enough to qualify for the You Suck thread. I always promised myself that if I ever picked up another brand new Echo CS-500P, I would run a compression test on it right out of the box. This saw had been started before shipment, but has never seen wood. There was no sign of oil in the cylinder, as it was pristine. I was shocked to read the compression gauge. 185 PSI - Wow! Rings aren't even seated yet! In my personal experience, muffler modding this particular model does not yield fabulous gains in power. My question goes out to others that have done more extensive work on these chainsaws. Do you think the carburetors are too small or is it the porting? It just seems that with this kind of compression and equal displacement, they should be churning out power closer to a Stihl MS-261 or a Husqvarna 346XP NE. My Echo CS-520 and CS-530 are both more powerful saws in my opinion, but heavier by about .7 pounds. It is my understanding that the Echo CS-500P is basically a Shindaiwa 502S. Don't get me wrong. I love the saw. It is dead nuts reliable, balances well, is easy to pull start, and fires up with one tug most of the time. But in terms of cutting speed, even with the muffler mod and retuning, I don't see it cutting any faster than a Husqvarna 450 with exactly the same bar and chain used for testing. I am guessing that estimates that I have heard regarding horsepower are probably accurate. I have been told that they are around 2.9 HP stock, and if you boost that another 10% with muffler modding, that puts you pretty close to 3.2 horsepower, exactly where the Husqvarna 450 is rated. OK, talk amongst yourselves.

Google - Miller Mod Saws and the CS-500P-
and most of your questions will be answered on this forum or another.

It could also be residual fuel/oil that is giving a false reading too, but 185psi is not out of the parameters of a 50cc pro saw. I wonder what others who own that model have to say about compression on their 500p's? Sounds like good value for what you have into it...congrats!

180psi sounds about right. none of the echo saws are power houses IMHO. They last forever and are reliable but werent built to win in cant races

I just purchased another Echo CS-500P chainsaw on Flea-Bay. I really didn't need it, but unfortunately, if the price is right, my CAD cannot be overpowered. The saw came with the 20" bar, and for $320 delivered, I couldn't pass it up, but I don't think that price is good enough to qualify for the You Suck thread. I always promised myself that if I ever picked up another brand new Echo CS-500P, I would run a compression test on it right out of the box. This saw had been started before shipment, but has never seen wood. There was no sign of oil in the cylinder, as it was pristine. I was shocked to read the compression gauge. 185 PSI - Wow! Rings aren't even seated yet! In my personal experience, muffler modding this particular model does not yield fabulous gains in power. My question goes out to others that have done more extensive work on these chainsaws. Do you think the carburetors are too small or is it the porting? It just seems that with this kind of compression and equal displacement, they should be churning out power closer to a Stihl MS-261 or a Husqvarna 346XP NE. My Echo CS-520 and CS-530 are both more powerful saws in my opinion, but heavier by about .7 pounds. It is my understanding that the Echo CS-500P is basically a Shindaiwa 502S. Don't get me wrong. I love the saw. It is dead nuts reliable, balances well, is easy to pull start, and fires up with one tug most of the time. But in terms of cutting speed, even with the muffler mod and retuning, I don't see it cutting any faster than a Husqvarna 450 with exactly the same bar and chain used for testing. I am guessing that estimates that I have heard regarding horsepower are probably accurate. I have been told that they are around 2.9 HP stock, and if you boost that another 10% with muffler modding, that puts you pretty close to 3.2 horsepower, exactly where the Husqvarna 450 is rated. OK, talk amongst yourselves.

IMO, 185 psi for a new 500p IS NOT normal. I have purchased 8 new Echo's in the last 18 months and ALL of them have blew right around 150 psi new out of the box (cold). I have a cs-490 and a cs-500p and both blew 150 psi brand new. After Randy ported the 500p, it blew 200 psi and will cut right there with any ported 50cc work saw. They are weak out of the box but there is ALOT of potential...trust me. That saw runs fantastic.

Attachments

• 500p.JPG
    500p.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 14
Back