ECHO cs-550p vs timberwolf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MP Mobil

Reaction score
I stopped at the dealer for a new chain for my Husqvarna 240. Good saw so far but I'm cutting more and need additional power for bigger wood. The ECHO CS-550p is on closeout for $379 20inch bar .325. They also have the Timberwolf CS-590 3/8. 20% for ECHO 1day sale tomorrow. Its $320 after discount. Ive spent hours trying to make a decision over the last few days and wanted an opinion. Any input on the CS-550P being a better saw? I think I'm sold on the Timber wolf but wanted feedback.

I got a 590 and overall I'm happy with it... seems the rim sprocket is the only thing going for the 550, with less displacement and the same weight. I think it comes with a laminated bar as well. I plan to switch to a rim sprocket setup once the spur wears out on mine (not cheap though, $60 for just the drum).

Thanks for that, the dealer is pushing the 550p rather than the 590. The dealer is pushing the 550 probably trying the unload some stock for the new model. I might run it 20 hours per year to cut firewood. Lots of great reviews on the 590, the 550p is not as popular.

Given how the 590 is priced... seems like a no brainer. The money you save can be put to a rim setup in the future. The 590 vs. 600 theres some differences: aluminum top handle, rim setup and better bar. However I got my 590 for a good price, so those can be upgraded in the future as needed/wanted.

320$ !!! :cry::cry::cry: over here they cost minimum double.

What would I choose? Throw out your Husqvarna 240 and ask the dealer for a combo deal Echo 400 & 590. Pricewise by far the best package available at the moment!

I have a 550p, its reliable and performs well. However you only really buy these saws due to price, I got my 550p cheap and for a firewood, homeowner or ranch use they get the job done & are pro build quality saws. But if you earn a living with a saw there are better power to weight saws on the market. I'd get the 590 as the 550 is the same size/weight with less power. Put a rim sprocket on the 590 and you have a whole lot of saw for $3?? bucks. Other countries like mine charge 3x that price for this model but they don't sell many.

320$ !!! :cry::cry::cry: over here they cost minimum double.

What would I choose? Throw out your Husqvarna 240 and ask the dealer for a combo deal Echo 400 & 590. Pricewise by far the best package available at the moment!

Is shipping a killer or why don't you guys just order saws from here?

Thats a great price on the 590 and the 550 i like them both but end up using the 590 all the time with a 24 inch bar it pulls it just fine and is easier on my back.

Is shipping a killer or why don't you guys just order saws from here?
Shipping is a killer over here. Pricewise around 100-150$! I got my Oleo Mac 962 = Efco 162 for ~450$ brandnew on a super sale (regular price in Austria ~650$) just across the boarder. Austria belongs to the REAL expensive countries here in Europe. Pricewise for outdoor small engines we are a close second behind Switzerland as far as I am aware of. I am lucky, my job is close to the border of tzechoslovakia and there the prices are sometimes way more moderate for the "unknown" brands. So my 60cc slot is already taken. But you can be sure if I travel to the US the 590 will be mine. Further we have the luck of being close to germany. The prices there are way more realistic. Not US style but something in between Austria and US when you find deals.

Actually I am a cheapskate when it comes to my outdoor equipement. I buy when things are on sale, if I need them or not. :D And by sale I mean minimum 1/3 less than regular price and not manufacturer recomended. F.e. I got my Zenoah G5000/5200 = HitachiCS40EM for 150€ (reg. price 550€!) brand new unopened box on clearance, my Hitachi CS40EK (2x)= Tanaka 3800 for 200€ (reg. price 450€!) brand new unopened box on clearance, my Hitachi CS33EDTP for 250€ instead of 350€, my Efco/Oleo Mac top handle, my Dolmar 420, my Dolmar 2000w e saws(2x), my Hitachi blowers(2x), trimmers, etc. etc. all for a bunch less when Hitachi Germany was clearing stock and dealers were throwing them on the market!

Shipping is a killer over here. Pricewise around 100-150$! I got my Oleo Mac 962 = Efco 162 for ~450$ brandnew on a super sale (regular price in Austria ~650$) just across the boarder. Austria belongs to the REAL expensive countries here in Europe. Pricewise for outdoor small engines we are a close second behind Switzerland as far as I am aware of. I am lucky, my job is close to the border of tzechoslovakia and there the prices are sometimes way more moderate for the "unknown" brands. So my 60cc slot is already taken. But you can be sure if I travel to the US the 590 will be mine. Further we have the luck of being close to germany. The prices there are way more realistic. Not US style but something in between Austria and US when you find deals.

Actually I am a cheapskate when it comes to my outdoor equipement. I buy when things are on sale, if I need them or not. :D And by sale I mean minimum 1/3 less than regular price and not manufacturer recomended. F.e. I got my Zenoah G5000/5200 = HitachiCS40EM for 150€ (reg. price 550€!) brand new unopened box on clearance, my Hitachi CS40EK (2x)= Tanaka 3800 for 200€ (reg. price 450€!) brand new unopened box on clearance, my Hitachi CS33EDTP for 250€ instead of 350€, my Efco/Oleo Mac top handle, my Dolmar 420, my Dolmar 2000w e saws(2x), my Hitachi blowers(2x), trimmers, etc. etc. all for a bunch less when Hitachi Germany was clearing stock and dealers were throwing them on the market!

That's steep!

I sent two inboard/outboard propellers from here to Germany a couple years ago and it wasn't nearly that expensive. And two large props certainly was around the same weight or more than a saw powerhead!

Id like to retune it, need to look into the muffler modification. I wish I had a reason to used the saw more often, time to look for some more wood.

Take the deflector off the muffler and cut out the inner portion that directs the exhaust rearward: 590 MM flowbench thread & video (bobe8888, he goes a further than just the deflector):

On the carb use a drywall screw (blunt the tip slightly) and lightly thread it into the center of the red limiter cap. Make sure the tangs line up in the notches and pull the cap out. I cut the small tangs with a knife and reinstalled them. Video (forum member bobe8888):

Back